English Ales - What's your favorite recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 4 pints of #3-ish invert syrup, about a pound of sugar in each jar. How best to use it for my first try? I was thinking maybe an ESB because I have pale ale malt and Fuggles hops already. How much syrup should I use in 4 gallons? Is S-04 yeast okay if I ferment it cold, or would S-33 (close cousin of Windsor) be better? Or Nottingham?

Hopefully those of you who are English ale connoisseurs are not cringing too much. I'm not going for authentic yet, just want to practice with the ingredients that I have on-hand before buying more.
I would go with s04, because I like the yeast. It flocs REALLY great, ferments quickly and has nice esters. I use it without temperature control and have no issues with it, but I guess keeping it around 18c would not do any harm.

Nottingham is really neutral and does not contribute much on it's own, which might be good for certain beers but imo not for an ESB. It also attenuates very well, so further use of syrup would be detrimental imo.

For S04 I would use 5% of the fermentables as Syrup, maybe 5% medium crystal malt (can be left out) and the rest pale malt. Never used fuggles, my favourite English hop is Goldings.... but I am afraid I have not tried much more English hops, therefore kindly ignore my mumbeling about English hops please.

I would go with s04, because I like the yeast. It flocs REALLY great, ferments quickly and has nice esters. I use it without temperature control and have no issues with it, but I guess keeping it around 18c would not do any harm.

Nottingham is really neutral and does not contribute much on it's own, which might be good for certain beers but imo not for an ESB. It also attenuates very well, so further use of syrup would be detrimental imo.

For S04 I would use 5% of the fermentables as Syrup, maybe 5% medium crystal malt (can be left out) and the rest pale malt. Never used fuggles, my favourite English hop is Goldings.... but I am afraid I have not tried much more English hops, therefore kindly ignore my mumbeling about English hops please.

That's just the sort of info I needed. (so a whole jar of syrup is too much, but a half a jar might be about right) Thanks!

I don't think I have enough Fuggles to single-hop it. I will probably use Willamette or Sterling for bittering and add the Fuggles at 15 minutes and flameout, unless someone says to use the Fuggles for bittering and the Willamette or Sterling for late additions. (If anyone isn't familiar with Sterling, it's like a higher-alpha version of Saaz.)

I would use Willamette. It's always listed as a substitute for Fuggles, goldings and the usual English suspects. IIRC it is derived from either Fuggles or Goldings. It pairs well with Fuggles.

Historically sugar went up to 20-25%, but 10-15% is more like the maximum nowadays. A good rule of thumb would be 1:1 with crystal for a medium attenuation yeast like S-04, and 1.5:1 sugar:crystal for a low attenuator like Windsor/S-33.

At least start with that and then tweak it according to taste - you'd tend to get less crystal:sugar up north and more crystal relatively down south (and historically southern breweries were more likely to use maize rather than sugar).

I'm not a fan of Fuggles but love Goldings, so I'm not really the person to ask. You do get beers that are obviously Fuggles-heavy in the taste but they're not that common. The lack of sun in 2017 meant 2017 British hops were particularly earthy, which isn't for everyone. Willamette is a triploid derivative of Fuggles generally grown in US terroir which pushes it a bit more towards citrus and less earthy. There's a healthy tradition of dry-hopping with Central European hops, usually Styrians but sometimes Saaz.

So if you want traditional, then go big on the Fuggles as a late copper hop, and mebbe dry hop with a bit of Willamette or Sterling and bitter with the other one, probably Sterling. If it was me, I'd bitter with the Fuggles, add the Willamette late and dry hop with the Sterling. But really I'd toss them and get me some Goldingy goodness. :)

I've not used T-58 in a trad bitter, my first instinct is that it's a bad idea.

My second instinct is that maybe if might work, if you try to minimise phenolics - no wheat or maize, really happy unstressed fermentation etc.

But I think it does have some potential as a blend - as it happens I've actually got a 10:1 S-04:T-58 blend in a best bitter just about to hit FG, so I'll be able to tell you how that works pretty shortly.

I have 4 pints of #3-ish invert syrup, about a pound of sugar in each jar. How best to use it for my first try? I was thinking maybe an ESB because I have pale ale malt and Fuggles hops already. How much syrup should I use in 4 gallons? Is S-04 yeast okay if I ferment it cold, or would S-33 (close cousin of Windsor) be better? Or Nottingham?

Hopefully those of you who are English ale connoisseurs are not cringing too much. I'm not going for authentic yet, just want to practice with the ingredients that I have on-hand before buying more.
If you have access to liquid yeast I recommend trying Wyeast 1968. It ferments fast, drops clear, and produces a great malt character. Excellent for a range of English styles (and even American) in my humble opinion.

My first ESB and really a big hit with everyone at only 11 days in the keg.

IMG_2965.JPG

Been reading a lot of Ron Pattinson's (Shut Up About Barclay Perkins!) work and decided to brew a modern version of a pre-20th century IPA (makes sense, right?). Actually less hops/barrel in the "copper", but more dry hops certainly, though one account mentions dry hopping close to this recipe. The idea is to kind of combine NEIPA techniques with English ingredients, highly experimental but going well so far.

Sexy Rexy
5.5 US gal
OG: 1.068
Est. FG: 1.012
IBU: 75

9.5 lbs. Crisp Maris Otter
1 lb. Flaked Barley
4 oz. Acidulated Malt (Mash ph adjustment)

Mash @150F 60 minutes. Mashout/Batch Sparge @ 162F 20 minutes

1 lb. Invert #1 @20
.5 lb. Invert #2 @20

.5 oz. Challenger @60
1 oz. Fuggles @ 20
4 oz. Jester Whirlpool @165F 25 minutes
1 oz. Fuggles Whirlpool @165F 25 minutes
.5 oz. Challenger, 1 oz. First Gold Dry Hop 3 days as krausen drops
4 oz. Jester, 1 oz. EKG Dry Hop 5 days

WLP 007, rinsed repitch from 1.054 bitter, 1000ml Starter

Smelled phenomenal when I put the second dry hop in a couple days ago. Will update when it's ready to drink.

Just chiming in to share that I love the Barclay Perkins site. It has tons of session beers. Admittedly, you may have to wade thru tons of recipes that are virtually the same but there are a lot of diamonds to be mined. Here is one that got me hooked on Shutup, the 1930 Whitbread AK at 2.4% ABV and 56 IBU: https://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/search?q=1930+AK+bitter Tell me that one doesn't break all sorts of BJCP guidelines (and in a good way!).
:bravo:

I've got at least half a dozen recipes from the website in rotation, a few to modify and at least a dozen on my "to brew" list. I've got two of his books, and they are helpful in that Ron Pattinson has filtered out the dozens of similar recipes for 1-2 examples that he showcases.

I've got at least half a dozen recipes from the website in rotation, a few to modify and at least a dozen on my "to brew" list. I've got two of his books, and they are helpful in that Ron Pattinson has filtered out the dozens of similar recipes for 1-2 examples that he showcases.

I agree that he's a great source of info. I have two books as well. The Bitter! book is great, but there is a TON of material without recipes. If you want to know the sparging temperatures of several styles of beer from a somewhat obscure brewer in 1885, then that book is definitely for you though :p Still glad I bought it, taught me a ton.

Another thumbs up for Ron’s blog/website. It turns out that the style I brew my pale ales is what used to be called ‘AK’. Essentially a 4% pale beer with a light body and balanced bitterness. I use about 10% flaked maize in mine, which is consistent with the style.

Arguably you ought to adjust AK for history and knock a third off the ABV like happened to IPAs when they turned into the Greene King version etc.

Maize seems to have been more of a southern thing, straight sugar seems to have been more common in the North and Scotland. I wonder if that was because maize, with its high phenolic content, didn't play nicely with northern yeasts that tend to be more POF-y, but that's speculation on my part.

Whilst we're on the subject of blogs with old recipes, it's worth mentioning Edd Mather's newish one, Make Mine a Magee's!, which is biased towards his home territory of Lancashire but not exclusively so. If you thought golden ales were a modern invention, or at least confined to Manchester before the 1980s, then he has news for you from Leeds in 1893....

Arguably you ought to adjust AK for history and knock a third off the ABV like happened to IPAs when they turned into the Greene King version etc.

Maize seems to have been more of a southern thing, straight sugar seems to have been more common in the North and Scotland. I wonder if that was because maize, with its high phenolic content, didn't play nicely with northern yeasts that tend to be more POF-y, but that's speculation on my part.

Whilst we're on the subject of blogs with old recipes, it's worth mentioning Edd Mather's newish one, Make Mine a Magee's!, which is biased towards his home territory of Lancashire but not exclusively so. If you thought golden ales were a modern invention, or at least confined to Manchester before the 1980s, then he has news for you from Leeds in 1893....

How Do ,
And thanks laudable comments about the Blog , appreciated ! ,
Cheers
Edd

Thanks for sharing Edd's blog.

I currently have Ron's 1917 Barclay Perkins GA on cask. Lovely stuff.

Hello, this looks like a place to look for some input. My online order had a bit of a mix up and I received a few items of someone else’s order. They must enjoy their English brews, because I now have an ounce of ekg, fuggle, challenger each, and a packet of s04. I’ve little experience in general, and even less with English hops. I guess I’m looking to build pretty average English bitter? with some extra extract and some random specialty malts I have stored.
Is this going to turn into a halfway decent beer? 1 gallon batch, 30min boil.

2oz 60L steep
1oz brown malt steep
.75 lb light DME
.25 oz challenger, just prior to boil
.125oz ekg at 15
.75 lb light DME
.125oz ekg at 5
.5 packet of s04

I guess I’m using what I would somewhat normally do for an easy amber ale, but subbing hops. I guess if it’s a complete dumpster fire, I’m not out much.

Thanks folks.

Last edited:
A lot of the beers I brew sort of fit the BJCP golden ale style guidelines, normally all base malt with one or two types of hops to check hop flavor profiles. I use 2 oz of hops and shoot for about 30IBU with half the IBUs at 60min then the rest 15min or less to hit my 30IBU target.

If the BJCP guidelines are correct then this one may qualify as my favorite golden ale recipe as I have brewed it quite a few time.

100% pale ale malt to get to 1048-1050 SG
Mash for a medium low body(FG around 1010-1012).

10gm equinox 60min 12.5AA 14.4IBU
18gm equinox 5min 12.5AA 5.2IBU
14gm citra 10min 13.1AA 7.6IBU
14gm citra 5min 13.1AA 4.2IBU
wlp007 fermented 68F

I will sometime use citra for the 60min addition but it does not matter too much.

Hello, this looks like a place to look for some input. My online order had a bit of a mix up and I received a few items of someone else’s order. They must enjoy their English brews, because I now have an ounce of ekg, fuggle, challenger each, and a packet of s04. I’ve little experience in general, and even less with English hops. I guess I’m looking to build pretty average English bitter? with some extra extract and some random specialty malts I have stored.
Is this going to turn into a halfway decent beer? 1 gallon batch, 30min boil.

2oz 60L steep
1oz brown malt steep
.75 lb light DME
.25 oz challenger, just prior to boil
.125oz ekg at 15
.75 lb light DME
.125oz ekg at 5
.5 packet of s04

I guess I’m using what I would somewhat normally do for an easy amber ale, but subbing hops. I guess if it’s a complete dumpster fire, I’m not out much.

Thanks folks.
What's the brown in for? I would throw it out.

As extract has already a higher final sweetness than most typical mashes, I would skip the crystal as well.

Just shoot for about 4.5% abv, 30ibus and don't ferment too warm.... Although I personally never had problems with s04 at any temperature, I know some folks that did. Try staying below 20 or 19c.

Sexy Rexy's hydrometer sample tasted quite well during packaging today. An interesting mix of firm bitterness with some classic English hop character, but there is some juiciness and fruitiness there as well. I do believe that some English hops have the potential for some "bio transformation" from whirlpool and/or dryhopping with a few points of gravity left. The character from the invert might help that along too. Forgot to take a picture, but I'll post the first pint in 10-14 days.

A lot of the beers I brew sort of fit the BJCP golden ale style guidelines, normally all base malt with one or two types of hops to check hop flavor profiles. I use 2 oz of hops and shoot for about 30IBU with half the IBUs at 60min then the rest 15min or less to hit my 30IBU target.

If the BJCP guidelines are correct then this one may qualify as my favorite golden ale recipe as I have brewed it quite a few time.

100% pale ale malt to get to 1048-1050 SG
Mash for a medium low body(FG around 1010-1012).

10gm equinox 60min 12.5AA 14.4IBU
18gm equinox 5min 12.5AA 5.2IBU
14gm citra 10min 13.1AA 7.6IBU
14gm citra 5min 13.1AA 4.2IBU
wlp007 fermented 68F

I will sometime use citra for the 60min addition but it does not matter too much.

Hi ,
Here`s my take on a Golden Ale ,
O Grav @ 1.053 ; Settling Grav : 1.015.5 Racking Grav: 1.012
Final Grav : 1.009 5.75 - 6 % A.B.V @ Rack - 24 ; 6.25 - 6.5 % Matured
MALT BILL ;
Chevalier P/Ale @ 40 % ex Crisp Malt
Plumage Archer Pale Ale Malt ex Warminster Maltings @ 40 %
Crisp Caragold Malt @ 8 %
Torrefied Wheat @ 2.5 %
Flaked Maize @ 9.5 %
SUGARS :
No 2 Invert 8 %
No 3 Invert 8 % @ 1.004.25 each
PRIMINGS : 1.003.5 of Belgian Candy Sugar .

MASH
Burton on Trent Liquor , Thoroughly warm the mash tun with HOT / Boiling liquor 15 mins before mashing in as follows ( 1 - 1.5 from bottom of vessel minimum)
1 St Heat : 148 f @ Goods In for 15 Minutes @ 2.415 L/Kg
2 Nd Heat : 152 f @ Goods In + 15 - + 120 minutes , @ 0.865 L/Kg .
3 Rd Heat : 158 f @ Goods In + 120 - + 150 @ 0.865 L/Kg
SPARGING
At Taps , slowly open the valve on the tun and recirculate ant TURBID 1 St Runnings over the top of the mash until a BRIGHT AND CLEAR WORT is flowing consistently , then cast to the copper / boiler .
To Produce X Litres of Wort @ 1.042 - 1.040 .
COPPER
At Copper Up / Boil , leave the lid off for the first 30 minutes of the boil , then add the 1 St Hop Charge @ 1.043.5 and put the lid on @ Let Off - 75 minutes . 2 Nd Hop Charge @ L/Off - 60 @ 1.047 , 3 Rd @ L/Off - 25 minutes with the 1 St Sugar Charge ( No 2 Invert ) ; at Let Off - 20 , Liquor back with TREATED LIQUOR BOILED 1/4 HOUR MINIMUM to 1.047.75 and at L/Off - 10 add the copper finings , then at Let Off - 0 , Stand 1/2 hour .
( 2.5 Hr Boil Total Time)
HOPS
1 St Charge :
Brewer`s Gold 8 IBU , Goldings 5 IBU , Tettnager 5 IBU
2 Nd Charge :
Bramling Cross 8 IBU , Goldings 7 IBU
3 Rd Charge :
Hallertau 7 IBU , Brewer`s Gold 4 IBU

At Let Off , Stand the Copper 1/2 hour before cooling to pitching heat and only when at Pitching Heat , cast to a 2 nd Vessel ONTO HOPS as follows , 6 % Brewer`s Gold ( Of the whole of the bittering hops weight )
Racking Hops : Goldings ( Per Plastic / Metal 9 UK Gallons )
Goldings 8 g , Hallertau 4 g , Tettnanger 2 g Brewer`s Gold 2 g
YEAST
Either the Whitelabs Melbourne Ale Yeast @ 3.75 g/L @ 59 f
or a Yorkshire Square Yeast @ 4.25 g / Litre @ 58 f
NB : ONLY ROUSE AS REQ WITH THE MELBOURNE YEAST .
ATTENUATION
DAY Hour Heat Gravity REMARKS
1 P 58/9 1.053 Rouse @ P + 12 Hrs
2 M 60 1.050.75 and @ every 8 hrs until X-X .
E 62.25 1.045
3 M 63.5 1.040.25 Drop to 2Nd Vessel on E 65 1.034 Melbourne Yeast
4 M 67 1.025
E 68.5 1.018 X - X
5 M 65 1.015 Drop to Settler on all yeasts .
E 64 1.012.25
6 M 63 1.010.5
E 63 1.009.5
7 M 63 1.009.25 PRIME UP AS ABOVE
9 E 63 1.012 Rack to Draught Containers
At racking , add the racking hops as above then roll well , Stand @ 55 f for 4 - 5 days , release excess pressure and re seal , cellar for three weeks @ 54 f , ADD BARREL FININGS and roll well , stillage 1 week , release excess presure and leave to vent 24 hrs @ 54 f before Q.C !!

Kegged 10 gallons of a dark mild (recipe via Ron Pattinson's blog) and was surprised by the color. I added about 90 ml of homemade caramel coloring (by far the most I've ever used) and the original wort was very dark, but after a month in primary (no free time) I was surprised that it's the color of a normal bitter. I guess the caramel coloring settled out during the weeks-long cold crash. Wasn't expecting that.

Been out of town and not able to brew for a while. Now I'm back and going to try using that homemade dark (no particular number) invert I made this weekend. Think I'm going to use (4 gallon recipe) 6.5 lbs of pale ale malt and a pint jar of my syrup. No crystal. Ferment with S-33. Should I use Willamette for the 60 minute hops and Fuggles for flavor and aroma, or vice versa? I could also use Magnum or Nugget for bittering.

While I was Down South, I remembered a product y'all might be interested in. Steen's Cane Syrup. (I remember it used to be called "ribbon cane syrup") I bought a bottle in Texas to compare with mine. Here's a link to it on Amazon so you can see what I'm talking about, but their price is way too high. Should be about $4 a bottle. https://www.amazon.com/Steens-100-Pure-Syrup-16fl/dp/B004ZK3JI6

Been out of town and not able to brew for a while. Now I'm back and going to try using that homemade dark (no particular number) invert I made this weekend. Think I'm going to use (4 gallon recipe) 6.5 lbs of pale ale malt and a pint jar of my syrup. No crystal. Ferment with S-33. Should I use Willamette for the 60 minute hops and Fuggles for flavor and aroma, or vice versa? I could also use Magnum or Nugget for bittering.

I would use the Willamette late personally, but that's just my preference. I don't mind fuggles like some, but definitely comes off more as "earthy" to me. I might actually also weigh your invert. A full pint jar might weigh more than you think, and in a small batch with only 6.5 lbs of malt, may contribute to a higher percentage of your fermentables than desired.

I would use the Willamette late personally, but that's just my preference. I don't mind fuggles like some, but definitely comes off more as "earthy" to me. I might actually also weigh your invert. A full pint jar might weigh more than you think, and in a small batch with only 6.5 lbs of malt, may contribute to a higher percentage of your fermentables than desired.

Thanks. I know the percentage is pretty high; the pint jar has about a pound of sugar in it plus the water. Probably weighs somewhere around 24 ounces. I'm just calculating it like a pound of brown sugar. (so about 13.5% of the fermentables?)

Perhaps I should do a 5 gallon batch with a little more malt. It won't fit in the plastic fermenters I like to use, but I still have some glass carboys that would work...

I think different calcs do it differently, but 1lb. of sugar in doesn't seem to equal 1 lb. of invert. It makes sense that it would be the same amount of fermentables, but somehow the brewer's friend calc that I use doesn't think so. You also have to consider that the weight of the grain does not equal weight of fermentable sugar, as well. Fermentable sugar is 80% (at most) of total malt weight, meaning you've got about 5 lbs of fermentables from malt, 1 lb. from sugar, meaning more like 16.6% at least. That's still within style, though.

I make the invert first, then weigh out what I need. For me, the calculations work out that way, but I'm not sure it would be a huge difference.

I’ve made a lot of bitters, but I used a lb of flaked maize in one for the first time last month. It’s actually been much better received than most of my bitters. It tastes a little “hot” to me — more than the 4% ABV would suggest — but it is a pretty tasty pint nonetheless.

Since May is Mild Month, I am going to be brewing a 2.5 gallon batch of the 1914 Barclay Perkins X ale tomorrow... using 1469 for the yeast, otherwise following the recipe as prescribed.

Hope to be serving it on one of my beer engines by May 18.

Made 1.5 pounds of Invert #3 to use (only using 14oz) tomorrow; it has a beautiful dark ruby glow in the right light!

:mug:

full

Since May is Mild Month, I am going to be brewing a 2.5 gallon batch of the 1914 Barclay Perkins X ale tomorrow... using 1469 for the yeast, otherwise following the recipe as prescribed.

Hope to be serving it on one of my beer engines by May 18.

Made 1.5 pounds of Invert #3 to use (only using 14oz) tomorrow; it has a beautiful dark ruby glow in the right light!

:mug:

full

I made 3 lbs of invert 1 last night as a matter of fact.
The one on the right has some golden barrel molasses via the dilution method per the unholymess site for invert 3.
Brewing a 1953 Adnams Tally Ho Barleywine from SUABP next weekend which calls for the invert 3.
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2017/03/lets-brew-wednesday-1953-adnams-tally-ho.html
IMG_2394.JPG

I still haven't gotten a chance to brew, and won't again this weekend. Life keeps getting in the way. But I have just ordered a pound of UK Goldings hops that will get here Wednesday. I might need to take a half day of vacation next Friday afternoon...

I still haven't gotten a chance to brew, and won't again this weekend. Life keeps getting in the way. But I have just ordered a pound of UK Goldings hops that will get here Wednesday. I might need to take a half day of vacation next Friday afternoon...
How Do Z - Bob ,
What were you thinking of brewing ? , if you let me know what ingredients you`ve got i`ll see what recipies I`ve got to fit them ,
Cheers and Happy Mashing ,
Edd

How Do Z - Bob ,
What were you thinking of brewing ? , if you let me know what ingredients you've got i'll see what recipies I've got to fit them ,
Cheers and Happy Mashing ,
Edd

Hi Edd,
Something like this. (I keep tweaking it, especially the bittering hops)

Style Name: Strong Bitter
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 4 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.036
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 5%
IBU (tinseth): 41.16
SRM (morey): 11.92

FERMENTABLES:
6.5 lb - Rahr Pale Ale (86.7%)
1 lb - Homemade dark invert sugar - (late addition) (13.3%)

HOPS:
20 g - Palisade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.5, Boil for 50 min, IBU: 27.09
1 oz - Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Boil for 15 min, IBU: 12.02
1 oz - Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Boil for 2 min, IBU: 2.05

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 4 gal
2) Sparge, Temp: 120 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 7 qt

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
5 ml - Phosphoric acid

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Safbrew - Yeast S-33
Fermentation Temp: 64 F
Generated by Brewer's Friend - https://www.brewersfriend.com/

Since May is Mild Month, I am going to be brewing a 2.5 gallon batch of the 1914 Barclay Perkins X ale tomorrow

So I didn't get this packaged as soon as I would have liked. Nevertheless I put 1 gallon in a polypin to use on my beer engine and I got 1.5 gallons into 0.5l bottles.

Missed my numbers on this batch too-- my SG out of the boiler was lower and because of this my FG after fermentation was lower as well. Nevertheless this came in at 4.7%ABV which I think is a great spot to be in truthfully.

Initial taste was phenomenal-- this is the most Invert #3 I've ever used in a recipe (ended up using closer to 18oz v. 14oz) so I do not know if this is the main contributor, or if it is the 1469-- maybe just a great marriage of both elements. But I think this beer is going to disappear fast-- considering I drank the completely still 9oz hydro sample and devoured it as it was; I cannot wait to get this some condition!

Also, look at that clarity-- only used whirfloc at the end of the boil. No cold crash, gelatin, or isinglass.

Hopefully this will be conditioned and drinking for the last week of Mild Month!

full

Love the use of a polypin. Haven't done it in a while, but I always used to package 1 or 2 gallons into polys if I was making a bitter or mild, then just have a couple friends over and gravity dispense, kill it in one or two nights. Worked quite well, actually, though that kind of low carb, cool, not cold serving isn't for everyone. The husband of one of my wife's friends was born in the UK and spent most of his life there, and said I took him back home, though. Couldn't ask for much better praise than that.

Just bottled Fuller's ESB clone attempt nr XY. Tastes great even before bottle carbonation. This was the first time when I used isinglass(+silica adjunct) and must say I'm very impressed. I boiled in two kettles (larger batch than usual) and one of the kettles had some persistent protein haze from Fawcett Maris Otter. Probably because I cut down the amount of protafloc in this specific kettle. So it looked quite hazy even post fermentation, although the the yeast itself drops to the bottom like a rock. Now that I bottled the isinglass fined beer, it looked as clear as a pils that has been lagered for a year or two...and tastes delicious. Dry hopped with a few cones of Worcester Goldings in addition to the typical Target. I also add some fresh yeast to the bottles to speed up carbonation as always. It's a nice feeling when you have just bottled a succesful batch.

esb.jpg

Just bottled Fuller's ESB clone attempt nr XY. Tastes great even before bottle carbonation. This was the first time when I used isinglass(+silica adjunct) and must say I'm very impressed. I boiled in two kettles (larger batch than usual) and one of the kettles had some persistent protein haze from Fawcett Maris Otter. Probably because I cut down the amount of protafloc in this specific kettle. So it looked quite hazy even post fermentation, although the the yeast itself drops to the bottom like a rock. Now that I bottled the isinglass fined beer, it looked as clear as a pils that has been lagered for a year or two...and tastes delicious. Dry hopped with a few cones of Worcester Goldings in addition to the typical Target. I also add some fresh yeast to the bottles to speed up carbonation as always. It's a nice feeling when you have just bottled a succesful batch.

View attachment 627731

That’s a very clear bitter!

I finally brewed my bitter last night (every time I try to brew on a Saturday, something comes up, so did it a day early :)) I used Nugget at 60 minutes for bittering, and Goldings at 15 min and 2 min. Chilled it down to about 80 degrees F with my sucky immersion chiller, added an ice bottle and moved it to my basement overnight to finish cooling. I overshot the gravity a bit, it's 1.055

I pitched the yeast (S-33) this morning at 66 degrees. The wort looks nice and dark from the invert syrup, and I couldn't smell it last night (from cooking, I guess) but when I opened the lid today it smelled really nice from both the malt and the hops.

Last edited:
Back