English Ales - What's your favorite recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i forgot to raise mash temp for mashout, making it too fermentable.
After 1h at 150°F, the beta-amylase is pretty much dead. It starts denaturating at 140°F. So mash out temperature won't make any difference. If you want to boost body, you have to do the single infusion at a slightly higher temperature or do a step mash, increasing the temperature after 20 to 30 minutes.

Maris Otter and caramel malts add malty flavours, but do not necessarily increase the final gravity. That is more easily done with low attenuating yeasts, mashing profile and such. Water helps as well, of course, but 93ppm for Cl sounds decent.

Well others might disagree on the mashout, but moving on.....My target FG of .011 on brewing software with Imperial Pub Yeast was blown past.
Raising mash temp a bit is easy enough. I'll al least cut back slightly on the 10% Invert, and make it up with Maris Otter. I don't have any experience with brown malt so i only used it for coloring. I could bump that for flavor or leave it out. Not sure.
These are things i'm fine-tuning to get it perfect, for me

What base malt did you use? Serving temp and carbonation? I keep my kegs at 10-11c and prime them to ~2 vols, corresponding serving pressure and pour rather aggressively.
I am sure you are aware but British ale really benefit from what many americans would consider too warm and borderline flat...
Edit: saw now you mentioned MO

Its a good beer. I just pulled a sample for discussion. A couple minor adjustements should do it.
I Kegged, put on 12 psi, served cold at 38ish. A bit over carbed. Its a bit dry in the finish but not bad. I cold crashed when I saw it at .010. I think it probably went on to .009
Lately ive been splitting brew day into a mash at night, boil in the morning. that with the no mashout might have produced too fermentable a wort. Entertaining a shorter boil day too.
3ADCE33B-6EF3-41B6-8AC2-ADD9D96DB9CF.jpeg

Last edited:
What base malt did you use? Serving temp and carbonation? I keep my kegs at 10-11c and prime them to ~2 vols, corresponding serving pressure and pour rather aggressively.
I am sure you are aware but British ale really benefit from what many americans would consider too warm and borderline flat...
Edit: saw now you mentioned MO

Completely agree. So many of us are following recipes for beers intended to be served on cask. It seems counterintuitive that the recipes call for mashing at 147-149, maybe 150. But they aren’t thin. The role of carbonation is definitely underestimated.

Dave Louw's article, "Homebrewing Cask Ales" from the July-August 2012 issue of Brew Your Own puts it nicely: "Cask ale has a much lower carbonation level than many modern beers. Carbonation plays several important roles in beer. The carbonic acid 'CO2 bite' is greatly reduced in these beers, so you must pay particular attention to any residual sweetness in the beer, which will effectively be heightened. Similarly, since carbonation can help dry out a beer you may want to replace some of the malt with simple fermentable sugars, as is commonly done in Great Britain.”

Low mashing temp, high sulfate, simple sugars. Seems like a recipe for a very dry beer. But low carbonation makes a huge difference. And served through a sparkler—perfection.

The stout is fermenting away, fell a few points short of 1.100 but still within acceptable margin of error for a beer this big IMO. Has been at 18c for ~20h since pitch, gonna let it free rise to 20c now.

Attachments

• IMG_20230203_091809.jpg
    IMG_20230203_091809.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
A yeast I don't see mentioned much here is WLP005.
A good 5 years ago I brewed some English IPAs and brown porters with it that turned out good.

On my last online order I picked up another pack at a major discount as it is a few months past it's use by date.
I would like to use if for some kind of English ale on my next brew day in a few weeks.
I already have an IPA planned in with Thames Valley yeast and have enough of Brown porter for the timebeeing.

Can anyone recommend another recipe with this yeast?
Something a bit hoppy like an ESB or golden ale.
I want to also use some Maris Otter as I oder it crushed by miske and want to use it up ASAP.
Was thinking of just doing a Fuller's ESB clone with WLP005 as the yeast.
I'll brew an India Brown Ale with it sometime too but at the moment I have too many black/brown beers on the go.

A basic ESB/Strong bitter could be something like MO, %~5% medium crystal, 5-10% invert and maybe a dash of amber or brown malt, 1.050-55 OG and by:gu of 0.6-0.9 depending on taste.
I stopped using wlp 005 after a few brews since it can be a bit finicky with diacetyl, sometimes the secondary ferment in bottles was enough to create butterscotch bombs...

A basic ESB/Strong bitter could be something like MO, %~5% medium crystal, 5-10% invert and maybe a dash of amber or brown malt, 1.050-55 OG and by:gu of 0.6-0.9 depending on taste.
This description is pretty much bob on. I personally tend to shoot for about 1.060 OG, a ~1.015 FG and 0.75ish BU/GU for my ESBs.
85% MO, maybe 7% 120 EBC crystal, 5% invert and maybe 3% something like amber malt (or wheat).

Old Ale is now in the kegerator. Had a sample yesterday, it's still a bit on the young side and has kept some of the slightly yeasty sulphurous character I previously reported (the consensus was this was probably S-04 fermented slightly too cool) but is showing promise.

Last edited:
I stopped using wlp 005 after a few brews since it can be a bit finicky with diacetyl, sometimes the secondary ferment in bottles was enough to create butterscotch bombs...

I never had diacetyl problems with WLP005; the suggested WYEAST substitiute Ringwood Ale WY1187 is supposed to be bad though.

I think I will go for something like this with an OG of approx 1.060. With Fuggles and EKG in the boil and then Target and EKG in the dry hop.

1675694394014.png

It worked great with London Ale III, will be nice to compare (by memory :))

Target and EKG in the dry hop.

Question for anyone and everyone - what are the Target hops like, for aroma and perhaps flavor? I haven't ever used them. I've used First Gold a bunch, and asked about it here, and am actively looking for a "new" hope for my next brew. I use a lot of EKG and like it, but would like to expand out of this combo. What might I expect?

I have a bitter on tap now using First Gold/Fuggle at 1g/L 20 min and 0.7g/L as dry hop. Gives a bit of a citrusy/orangey aroma and flavour.
They say it can impart a harsh bitterness, but I have only used it late boil where it contributes so little of the total IBU`s so I can´t really say, but the flavour is nice.

Target as an aroma hop gives clean lemon aroma. Whirlpool additions make it smell really like lemonade. In the dry-hop, it can be a bit harsch. Fuller's add it at the very beginning together with the yeast, which removes the harsch components and makes the dry-hop aroma quite subtle.

For bittering, both Target and First Gold seemed to me giving a quite harsh bitterness. This does not need to be bad, as Fuller's and Guinness bitter with Target, but it will be unpleasant in e.g. a lager.

Target is a great low-IBU bittering hop and it can do some good stuff as a late addition, but I find it very harsh either as a high-IBU bittering hop, or as a dry hop. First Gold is one of my favourite British hops, basically every British style beer I brew has it somewhere in the mix, usually whirlpool or dry hop.

Last edited:
I used to shy away from any poorly attenuating yeast but now am on a bit of drive to brew more session-like English ales and have a dark mild finishing now. I used WLP 002 for the first time and it looks like it's slowly creeping up to 69% or so to give me a 3.3% ABV.
My go-to's are S-04, 1469 and 1098/9 but am interested to try this first White Labs.
To compliment this I have a McEwans Champion #1 clone (Strong Scottish) conditioning at 7.6%.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 8.37.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 8.37.56 AM.png
    103.5 KB · Views: 0
Anybody got any objections on this planned recipe?
My actual base malt is Golden Promise but I haven't been arsed to change it in BS...
The yeast will be a mix of 2 but the m42 is the more attenuative one, will likely not reach that low a FG aswell.
Water will be treated to get:
Cl 232mg/L
So4 132mg/L
Na 52mg/L
Ca 170mg/L

Attachments

• Red Ale.PNG
    Red Ale.PNG
    69.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Question for anyone and everyone - what are the Target hops like, for aroma and perhaps flavor? I haven't ever used them. I've used First Gold a bunch, and asked about it here, and am actively looking for a "new" hope for my next brew. I use a lot of EKG and like it, but would like to expand out of this combo. What might I expect?
I like them.
You probably cant get these candies in the US but in the dry hop it reminds me a bit of fruit salad sweets I used to eat as a kid.
A bitter sweet lemon taste.

I've used them for bittering and thought they were quite smooth but that was always in reasonably highly hopped beers like Raging ***** when I didnt have any Nugget.

1675705213752.png

At the bottom of my first keg of Bitter. Its pretty good but dry and maybe a bit thin. I'd like some more maltiness in the beer. i made an error on the mashout so that fix should help. i was thinking of just using CaraMunich II with the MO, which should add some malty flavor without much caramel. Is that out of place in the bitter? Thoughts?
In this kind of situation whenever you're making a beer from a particular country, think what a brewer from that country would do. Which in general would not involve "foreign" ingredients, and for British beer in particular it's generally a terrible idea to try to adjust colour using "flavour" ingredients - if you don't have brewer's caramel or touch of black, then forget about trying to hit a colour target. And diluting the Otter is not going to help with maltiness...

[I wrote most of the following before the thread turned to these topics, but I didn't post it]
The main cause of "thinness" is kegging - it really doesn't suit British beers, certainly not in the <4.5% range that are normally served on cask in pubs. CO2 is the fifth ingredient in beer, and like everything else in British styles, it has to be in balance with the other ingredients. I recently had a keg mild from Cloudburst (which for those who don't know is a bit of a hype brewery, got "best smallish brewery" at 2021 GABF etc - their IPAs are terrific) and you could tell there was a decent beer trying to get out, but it was completely swamped by the carbonation - felt like it was probably the end of a keg, it was more than just the usual over carbonation). So you need balanced carbonation - and the fine mousse of natural carbonation is part of the nature of these beers. Think of the flabby bubbles of Coke versus the mousse of nitro Guinness - Guinness overeggs the carbonation because it's part of its "thing", and nitro bubbles aren't quite the same, but for those who haven't had real cask then imagining nitro Guinness with about half the gas will give you a target to go for. At least for northern beer served through a sparkler, it's different in the south....

And don't be afraid of dryness, that's what keeps you coming back for the 5th and 6th pint, whereas sweetness sates you. It's one of those great myths in the US, that British beers are syrupy sweet, while that may be true of half-conditioned beers in Heathrow Wetherspoons, it's not the reality.

Yeasts like Windsor being available for sale don't help - but people forget that Windsor was never used on its own, it came from a multistrain that included a Nottingham-like strain to get the attenuation up - and that wasn't even in the North proper. Pre-racking gravities can be a bit misleading, but eg Ron Pattinson had a table of 1960s keg bitters that averaged 80% apparent attenuation, and of course there's the famous example of 1970s Boddies that was over 91% and is mourned as a legendary example of bitter.

Aren't Northern Bitters just hopped more? Would be surprised if they have systematically lower fermenting yeast strains.

Oh no - different in almost every way, different water, different yeast, less crystal, everything. People don't realise how much regional variation there is in British beer, tourists tend to think everywhere is like the Thames Valley when it's if anything a bit of an outlier. Remember that Burton was obsessed with high attenuation, to minimise residual fermentables that might ferment in tropical weather en route to India and cause "barrel bombs" on a ship. Obviously pre-ageing in barrels infected with Brett etc was part of the story, but there's a lot of members of the saison family used in northern England, particularly in Yorkshire squares. You get a really distorted view of British yeast from the US yeast labs but you only have to look at the Brewlab catalogue to see that maybe 40-50% of their descriptions mention some kind of phenolic character, which probably means at least one saison-type yeast in there.

Certainly you can taste the phenols in eg Sam Smiths cask OBB, and in good pints of Harvey's Best - the Harvey's yeast originated at John Smith's and has had a saison-type yeast isolated from it.

Talking of Brewlab yeasts, Malt Miller have *finally* started stocking their slopes, at £6.99 compared to £9 for White Labs/Wyeast - hopefully that should encourage a few more people to use them, but it is a question of use them or lose them!

And don't be afraid of dryness, that's what keeps you coming back for the 5th and 6th pint, whereas sweetness sates you. It's one of those great myths in the US, that British beers are syrupy sweet, while that may be true of half-conditioned beers in Heathrow Wetherspoons, it's not the reality.
Part of the problem is that most countries, Germany as well, get bottled English ales, which are terribly sweet. Do you have any idea why that is the case? The worst I remember was buying Harvey's Dark Mild and it tasted as sweet as Coke. Cask ales never taste like that to me.
Oh no - different in almost every way, different water, different yeast, less crystal, everything. People don't realise how much regional variation there is in British beer, tourists tend to think everywhere is like the Thames Valley when it's if anything a bit of an outlier.
Not to worry, I am quite well acquainted with plenty of cask ales in the UK. I only never noticed a proper North-South gradient. For example Theakston Old Peculier uses plenty of crystal malt, while Adnam's Broadside uses none. I also never heard of an overall difference in the water, rather that everyone nowadays uses similar profile for similar styles of beers. Timothy Taylor e.g. burtonise their beer, as does Fuller's.

Yeast is an aspect I could understand, especially if I don't forget that the Ringwood strains are also Northern English, not from the South. Do you have more examples that just the phenolic types from Yorkshire?
Certainly you can taste the phenols in eg Sam Smiths cask OBB, and in good pints of Harvey's Best - the Harvey's yeast originated at John Smith's and has had a saison-type yeast isolated from it.
Hmm, I had Harvey's Best in June and did not notice any of this. Not an expert on the phenolic stuff, though.

While we're at it: I'll be in the South of the UK in a few weeks, Dorset and Devon. Any brewery you would recommend? I was thinking of the Otter brewery. Also will visit Sambrooks Brewery in London on the way back.

Part of the problem is that most countries, Germany as well, get bottled English ales, which are terribly sweet. Do you have any idea why that is the case? The worst I remember was buying Harvey's Dark Mild and it tasted as sweet as Coke. Cask ales never taste like that to me.
Particularly since Brexit, exporting is something done mostly by the biggest companies, which tend to be in the south and are not ones I patronise much even in cask so I can't really comment.

All I can say is that the last Greene King beer I had was a bottle of Hobgoblin before lockdown that I was given and it was undrinkablly sweet, like someone had added priming sugar (and more) to a force-carbed beer. I've no idea what was going on there, other than I can't imagine it was what the brewer intended.

Not to worry, I am quite well acquainted with plenty of cask ales in the UK. I only never noticed a proper North-South gradient. For example Theakston Old Peculier uses plenty of crystal malt, while Adnam's Broadside uses none.
I'm not talking about "specials" like Old Peculier at 5.6%, but the regular bitter/bests that you'll see on cask (so <4.5%). I'm maybe more aware of it having grown up in the Boddies heartlands which represent one extreme compared to eg the Fuller's partigyle with 7.2% crystal.

And as an aside, Masham is a bit atypical as it's closer to County Durham than the Yorkshire brewing heartlands of Leeds and Tadcaster. But for instance, here's some Tetley recipes from 1946 - no crystal anywhere, just pale, sugar and adjunct (usually maize but barley in the immediate aftermath of the war). And whilst we're on the subject, Tetley apparent attenuation was touching 90% in the post-war period (no doubt all that sugar helped).

I also never heard of an overall difference in the water, rather that everyone nowadays uses similar profile for similar styles of beers. Timothy Taylor e.g. burtonise their beer, as does Fuller's.
There's Burtonisation and then there's Burtonisation - the word gets used for adding sulphate, but the amounts vary a lot, and some are surprisingly chloride-biased these days, even for bitter.
Yeast is an aspect I could understand, especially if I don't forget that the Ringwood strains are also Northern English, not from the South. Do you have more examples that just the phenolic types from Yorkshire?
Well Ringwood is not really an example of what I'm talking about as it's a mainstream "English" yeast (and that's aside from the debate as to whether Humberside is in Yorkshire.... [runs]). But if you just look at the White Labs genomes, there are three members of the saison family labelled as "English". WLP026 Premium Bitter is diastatic but non-phenolic, WLP037 Yorkshire Square is not diastatic but gives a lot of clove when stressed (and has been used to make "English saisons" commercially), WLP038 Manchester is not diastatic but seems to be weakly phenolic.

Or you can look at the Brewlab list yourself and count all the references to phenols. Note eg Devon-1 (Hanlon's, cough) "Moderate to high ester flavours giving a banana aroma. Light phenolic flavours may be produced." What does that sound like?

Talking of banana, note the official description of Old Peculier:
Fermented with the famous Theakston twin strain yeast to create its extra strength and complex character. The legendary Theakston Old Peculier is a deep, dark, ruby coloured ale with a rich, fruity flavour with hints of cherry and banana.
Hmm, I had Harvey's Best in June and did not notice any of this. Not an expert on the phenolic stuff, though.
It doesn't hit you over the head like a weissbier, but it's definitely there in the mid-palate of good pints of it.
While we're at it: I'll be in the South of the UK in a few weeks, Dorset and Devon. Any brewery you would recommend? I was thinking of the Otter brewery. Also will visit Sambrooks Brewery in London on the way back.
Can't really help you there as it's not really my patch - to me Dorset is synonymous with Hall & Woodhouse (aka Badger) who IME produce some of the most dreary beer in Britain but I've never had it close to the source. I imagine there's a lot of Marston beer around there under the name of Ringwood - again I'd find it hard to get excited but maybe it's better when it's not had to travel. Otter and Butcombe are both decent enough, but very traditional. Hanlon's port stout is a bit of a cult favourite, a sort of southern equivalent of Titanic plum porter, and you'll be able to taste the banana in their other beers. Bristol's got quite a good "modern" beer scene with the likes of Moor, but a notable recent casualty is Wild Beer.

If you're going to Sambrook's then you'll only be 15 minutes' walk down Putney Bridge Road from the Bricklayer's which used to be effectively a Tim Taylor's tied pub at the end of Putney Bridge. Apparently there's new management who have cut it down to just Boltmaker and Landlord to make room for more hoppy stuff and I've not been since they arrived, but I would hope it would be as good a pint of both as you can get in the south.

If you're driving then Malt Miller are in Swindon which is sort of half way between Devon and London and they do click-and-collect!

In this kind of situation whenever you're making a beer from a particular country, think what a brewer from that country would do. Which in general would not involve "foreign" ingredients, and for British beer in particular it's generally a terrible idea to try to adjust colour using "flavour" ingredients - if you don't have brewer's caramel or touch of black, then forget about trying to hit a colour target. And diluting the Otter is not going to help with maltiness...

[I wrote most of the following before the thread turned to these topics, but I didn't post it]
The main cause of "thinness" is kegging - it really doesn't suit British beers, certainly not in the <4.5% range that are normally served on cask in pubs. CO2 is the fifth ingredient in beer, and like everything else in British styles, it has to be in balance with the other ingredients. I recently had a keg mild from Cloudburst (which for those who don't know is a bit of a hype brewery, got "best smallish brewery" at 2021 GABF etc - their IPAs are terrific) and you could tell there was a decent beer trying to get out, but it was completely swamped by the carbonation - felt like it was probably the end of a keg, it was more than just the usual over carbonation). So you need balanced carbonation - and the fine mousse of natural carbonation is part of the nature of these beers. Think of the flabby bubbles of Coke versus the mousse of nitro Guinness - Guinness overeggs the carbonation because it's part of its "thing", and nitro bubbles aren't quite the same, but for those who haven't had real cask then imagining nitro Guinness with about half the gas will give you a target to go for. At least for northern beer served through a sparkler, it's different in the south....

Yeasts like Windsor being available for sale don't help - but people forget that Windsor was never used on its own, it came from a multistrain that included a Nottingham-like strain to get the attenuation up - and that wasn't even in the North proper. Pre-racking gravities can be a bit misleading, but eg Ron Pattinson had a table of 1960s keg bitters that averaged 80% apparent attenuation, and of course there's the famous example of 1970s Boddies that was over 91% and is mourned as a legendary example of bitter.

Oh no - different in almost every way, different water, different yeast, less crystal, everything. People don't realise how much regional variation there is in British beer, tourists tend to think everywhere is like the Thames Valley when it's if anything a bit of an outlier. Remember that Burton was obsessed with high attenuation, to minimise residual fermentables that might ferment in tropical weather en route to India and cause "barrel bombs" on a ship. Obviously pre-ageing in barrels infected with Brett etc was part of the story, but there's a lot of members of the saison family used in northern England, particularly in Yorkshire squares. You get a really distorted view of British yeast from the US yeast labs but you only have to look at the Brewlab catalogue to see that maybe 40-50% of their descriptions mention some kind of phenolic character, which probably means at least one saison-type yeast in there.

Talking of Brewlab yeasts, Malt Miller have *finally* started stocking their slopes, at £6.99 compared to £9 for White Labs/Wyeast - hopefully that should encourage a few more people to use them, but it is a question of use them or lose them!
And to prove maybe all of your points, here is the recipe of the best bitter that won the “Pale British Beer” category at the 2022 US National Homebrew Competition.

A767EF25-D950-4679-A1B2-7C7E21A76D6B.jpeg

The key to winning a competition is brewing a beer that wows the judges with a few sips. A proper judging would require multiple pints of each beer.

I will hopefully have my new caskerator (with a sparkler) up and running by next week, but sadly the (keg conditioned) best bitter I brewed for my home brew club’s best bitter competition will have to be served from a growler since I didn’t bottle any.

@Northern_Brewer Thanks for the many details you gave. I was mulling things over for a day and while I see the phenolic character in some Northern English yeasts and know of their relationship to Belgian yeasts, I was more interested in the attenuation difference. I know some breweries like Theakston use a double strain where one strain is particularly attenuating, but so does Adnam's and they are not in Northern England. So where is the trend there? Yes, Tetley seems to have an incredibly high attenuation. But Boddington, who also are known for extra high attenuation, only got there after receiving yeast from Tadcaster. So is the high attenuation just a Yorkshire thing and not representative for the rest of Northern England?

Then we come to the crystal malt usage gradient, which I'm not buying at all. If you use Fuller's as the crystal-heavy example (which because of the parti-gyle did not show in their now discontinued bitter), then you end up with a inside London to outside London gradient. Not North to South. Also I would think of London as part of the South, rather as an individual brewing area with its own style. Also Fuller's used only 5% Crystal in 2010 (see Brewing Network podcast) and only 3% Crystal in 1992 (see Real Ale Almanac), which does not really speak of a traditional style difference, but rather a modern trend.

Just to explain why I'm asking so much: I was recently asked to handle the British Beer tasting at the German homebrew convention and would like to present some hard facts, possibly including a North-South gradient in attenuation. But after having thought just last year that I understood the varieties of Brown Ale and using the phrase "Northern / Southern Brown Ale" only to find out that that is complete horseshit, I am now more cautious.
At least I was able to select the bottled beers myself and might be able to bring a fresh bitter in a mini-keg from the UK, so the tasting will not be completely invalidated by the poor quality of the bottled beers. While the Northern beers are not as overly sweet, they are still lacking significantly behind the cask version, much more than I would expect from just a change of dispense. Is it the pasteurisation?

I tried a lot of British beers from cask so far. Last June I had a Landlord and an Old Peculier in the Peak District, both phenomenal beers. The worst I had there was Tetley's Bitter and Marston's Pedigree, both of which tasted watery. The very best pint there was an Abbeydale Daily Bread.
In the South I was a regular drinker of Ringwood's Best Bitter back when I studied there. I also had a pint from Hall & Woodhouse two years ago, which I found passable. Otter Ale is exceptional, only had it once unfortunately.
I have to chide you for not drinking Southern beer in the South. I always drink local!

And to prove maybe all of your points, here is the recipe of the best bitter that won the “Pale British Beer” category at the 2022 US National Homebrew Competition.

View attachment 812116
Oh dear - where to begin? Even if you believe BJCP is God this is out of specification with too much bitterness (BJCP dictate 25-40 IBU) and too sweet (FG 1.008-12).

And whilst I like my beer on the bitter side, a BU/GU of 1.0 is too high, the balance won't be right. 27% speciality malts, 4 out of 5 ingredients not British, rye is pretty seldom used (and generally only in conjunction with Goldings IME), 71% attenuation from the world's most boring English yeast WLP002, Fuggle may be to style but is personally my least favourite hop for bitter - and kegged.

Never mind Best Bitter, this is more like my idea of Worst Bitter. OK, that's glib and unfair, but you know what I mean.

I'd love to see what would happen if you submitted bottles of eg Landlord (4-time Champion Beer of Britain, albeit on cask, and one of the BJCP's official examples of the style) for judging in the US.

Oh dear - where to begin? Even if you believe BJCP is God this is out of specification with too much bitterness (BJCP dictate 25-40 IBU) and too sweet (FG 1.008-12).

And whilst I like my beer on the bitter side, a BU/GU of 1.0 is too high, the balance won't be right. 27% speciality malts, 4 out of 5 ingredients not British, rye is pretty seldom used (and generally only in conjunction with Goldings IME), 71% attenuation from the world's most boring English yeast WLP002, Fuggle may be to style but is personally my least favourite hop for bitter - and kegged.

Never mind Best Bitter, this is more like my idea of Worst Bitter. OK, that's glib and unfair, but you know what I mean.

I'd love to see what would happen if you submitted bottles of eg Landlord (4-time Champion Beer of Britain, albeit on cask, and one of the BJCP's official examples of the style) for judging in the US.
Maybe he was cleaning out the cupboard on brew day?

I like them.
You probably cant get these candies in the US but in the dry hop it reminds me a bit of fruit salad sweets I used to eat as a kid.
A bitter sweet lemon taste.

I've used them for bittering and thought they were quite smooth but that was always in reasonably highly hopped beers like Raging ***** when I didnt have any Nugget.

View attachment 811981
Do you unwrap them or just let them dissolve in the hop spider and pick out the wrappers afterwards!

Be nice... landlord is delicious in the bottle too.

Back