English Ales - What's your favorite recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northern British drinkers demand a decent head, the only limitation is getting full measure. That's not a problem when it is your own beer and you don't have to pay full price for the head.

Heres my current bitter on tap. I might have mentioned in this thread I've started to grow some hops, and this is a beer brewed using homegrown hops for late boil and dry hops.
All 3 plants are old, domestic heritage/landrace varieties.
The one used in this one is called "Gamla Källmon"(most names are given after the place they are found). Gives a prominent , spicy, herbal/grassy aroma/flavour, reminiscent of Japanese green tea.
On it's own it's a bit too strong, but is probably very nice in a 50/50 mix with Goldings.
1000004985.jpg

Northern British drinkers demand a decent head, the only limitation is getting full measure. That's not a problem when it is your own beer and you don't have to pay full price for the head.
Like @Brewskey , relegated to 12 oz. pours for now though I plan on using 22 oz. "bombers" for the long-aged 1848 RIS and vintage IPA I'm doing coming up. As lame as it is....just can't bring myself to pour an English bitter in a standard, insipid, straight-walled 12 oz. glass. 😁

Heres my current bitter on tap. I might have mentioned in this thread I've started to grow some hops, and this is a beer brewed using homegrown hops for late boil and dry hops.
The one used in this one is called "Gamla Källmon"(most names are given after the place they are found). Gives a prominent , spicy, herbal/grassy aroma/flavour, reminiscent of Japanese green tea.
On it's own it's a bit too strong, but is probably very nice in a 50/50 mix with Goldings.
View attachment 838841
Nice, man! Doubly so, using your own landrace hops!

Like @Brewskey , relegated to 12 oz. pours for now though I plan on using 22 oz. "bombers" for the long-aged 1848 RIS and vintage IPA I'm doing coming up. As lame as it is....just can't bring myself to pour an English bitter in a standard, insipid, straight-walled 12 oz. glass. 😁
I have kegs too, but I tend to bottle most of the English recipes I brew.

View attachment 838841
Looks good.
Makes me yearn for a bitter but tomorrow there are some NEIPAs planned.
A Landlord clone is planned for later this month though :mischievous:

Are the “pint” glasses in the US the same size as in the UK? Ours are 20 fluid oz (568 ml).
That 568ml is to the pint line marked on the glass. In Yorkshire, and some other places, you’ll find oversized pint glasses, leaving enough room for a head plus the beer you paid for. Why most Southerners and others don’t appreciate good head, presumably.
IMG_0038.jpeg

That 568ml is to the pint line marked on the glass. In Yorkshire, and some other places, you’ll find oversized pint glasses, leaving enough room for a head plus the beer you paid for. Why most Southerners and others don’t appreciate good head, presumably.
View attachment 838850
Just finished watching Ted Lasso for the first time. And yes, I noticed. Richmond, SW London.

1705086361620.jpeg

Who are the Southerners? Londoners, Cornish, Birmingham? The UK has many great beers from the whole country. My go to homebrew bitters are

Jail Ale - Devon
Sussex Best - Sussex
5 Points - London
Summer Lightning - Wiltshire
Landlord - Yorkshire
Tribute - Cornwall.

Change your name to Eric the Tyke 😂😂
Harald Hardrada tried to become a tyke, didn't work out so well for him. My dad once had a job that involved going to the farm where the Battle of Stamford Bridge took place, there's still a hillock which is meant to be where the Vikings ended up....

16oz is a standard US pint
But US floz are slightly different to British floz, which is why you get all those weird 19.2 US floz cans in US supermarkets, they're actually imperial pint cans from Britain (and funnily are far more common in the US than UK)

Strange how the US had a dollar worth 100 cents early in its history ( the UK went monetary metric as late as 1971) but stuck with Imperial UOM. I was brought up on £sd, miles, furlongs, chains, hundredweight, stones, pounds and ozs. Yards, feet, and inches. In Engineering we had thou’s , tenths, BTU’s. But most of this confusion was swept away thank heavens. I still think distance in miles but for the rest good old metric. 😀

Strange how the US had a dollar worth 100 cents early in its history ( the UK went monetary metric as late as 1971) but stuck with Imperial UOM. I was brought up on £sd, miles, furlongs, chains, hundredweight, stones, pounds and ozs. Yards, feet, and inches. In Engineering we had thou’s , tenths, BTU’s. But most of this confusion was swept away thank heavens. I still think distance in miles but for the rest good old metric. 😀
So you buy your beer in 568mls then....

It could be conveniently rounded down to a simple 0.5L, but expect unprecedented rioting by disciples of a 'reformed' Brexit party surfing a fake wave of English colonialist 'values'. Even if the price were adjusted down more than fair. Even if the first 0.25L of each 0.5L was free for the first year as a special introductory offer during a transition period to metric. They'd still be goaded and out in the streets with pitchforks. I was mainly taught metric at school (in the UK) in the late 70s to early 80s. Imperial was only taught in maths classes and used for basic problem-solving exercises. I can understand clinging on to imperial measures in daily life for older people more used to managing things in imperial, but, honestly, what happened? Did that ridiculous clown Johnson actually ban metric? Strange times.

It could be conveniently rounded down to a simple 0.5L, but expect unprecedented rioting by disciples of a 'reformed' Brexit party surfing a fake wave of English colonialist 'values'. Even if the price were adjusted down more than fair. Even if the first 0.25L of each 0.5L was free for the first year as a special introductory offer during a transition period to metric. They'd still be goaded and out in the streets with pitchforks. I was mainly taught metric at school (in the UK) in the late 70s to early 80s. Imperial was only taught in maths classes and used for basic problem-solving exercises. I can understand clinging on to imperial measures in daily life for older people more used to managing things in imperial, but, honestly, what happened? Did that ridiculous clown Johnson actually ban metric? Strange times.
There’s no popular opinion to return to Imperial measurement, I’m 71 years old and work in metric as do most people of my generation. It’s people like Rees Mogg who wants to return to Imperial’s and be able to beat your servants.
A pint is interesting as I believe it’s no longer a strict measure more a description of going to have a beer, I.e. when people say off for a few pints tonight they probably mean a few drinks.

It could be conveniently rounded down to a simple 0.5L,
It wouldn't be convenient - you'd need to change every pint glass in the country, for a start - for no real gain.

but expect unprecedented rioting by disciples of a 'reformed' Brexit party surfing a fake wave of English colonialist 'values'.
Same would apply if you tried to make the US go metric, would you describe that as colonialist?
Did that ridiculous clown Johnson actually ban metric?
No - but metric measures have long been banned, draught beer must legally be served in multiples of a third or a half imperial pint. The regulations have been tweaked by just about every government, but if you want to you could go back through the various Weights and Measures Acts to the Duties on Beer, etc. Act 1802. It was even explicitly written into a European directive by the colonialists in Brussels.

Personally I'm OK with restrictions on dispense size, I prefer it to the deregulation (ie complete chaos) in US bars, where it's a lottery what size they offer below a pint and it's a faff having to ask at a busy bar whether it's 10oz or 8oz or whatever. The only changes I would make would be to extend the range, allowing multiples of 1 litre to allow places to buy standard Oktoberfest glasses from the Continent rather than special (expensive!) 2-pint equivalents, and to allow something like a 100ml or quarter pint taster size to allow all-in-one festivals to be legal here.

It wouldn't be convenient - you'd need to change every pint glass in the country, for a start - for no real gain.
They’re only glasses. They could be smashed up and down the land, as a national event to mark a transition to metric, then recycled in France to make new 0.5L glasses. They can still be called ‘pints’*. Not as much hassle as changing to driving on the ‘right’ side of the road.
Same would apply if you tried to make the US go metric, would you describe that as colonialist?
Yes, absolutely, I would. In fact, I suspect it might be even a bit worse in the US. English colonialism, that is. 😆

*Edit: Who’d have guessed? A so-called ‘pint’ can range from as little 250ml (pintje) and about 350ml (Pintchen) to several under 568ml (425-551ml) and over (570-1136ml) and the biggest of all, the Scottish pint at a whopping 1696ml. According to a table of different versions of a pint on Wikipedia.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back