English Ales - What's your favorite recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@cire
Just a leg pull. But I expect that simple kitchen popcorn maker was only a few dollars. I expect some ingenious work with a hot air paint stripper gun would do the job as well.

Thanks for the clarification @DuncB that your comment was done "tongue in cheek". Being ever conscious that nearly all my brewing techniques are adopted from others, I needed to verify that process was one I couldn't personally verify. Being an engineer by training, hobbies have always included a challenge to not buy what isn't necessary. I do have a hot air paint stripper, but have yet to conceive a method I'd be confident with, more especially of late to my chagrin, learning how little hot air is necessary to ruin plastic sheeting.

My first efforts were were with wheat in a domestic oven, but the product was mostly roasted. Barley in the same setup gave better results, but not what I was after. One try in a microwave and I was won over. It's time taking, but being a hobby became part of the fun. done half a kg (one pound) at a time it's done when I can have the kitchen to myself with a result of better beer for less cost, though more effort.

It has to be said that while I'm convinced of its virtues, I'm still looking forward for others to confirm my belief.

@cire

Looks like you fell into your own trap " Being an engineer " , I'll await a better hot air gun popcorn making hack than I've seen on youtube.
I've made a fair amount of popcorn in the microwave not in those packets and it can work well. I haven't tried soaking normal popcorn before this though as there's normally some oil in the mix. Might be worth a water soak try next time I " need " some popcorn.

@Schlenkerla following your ground breaking beer engine hack with a marine pump and liquid propane regulator. First time in decades I actually made a wooden housing. It ain't pretty but considering I have only an electric drill and dependent on Home Depot saw cuts, it isn't a failure. Once that's all set, I'll paint the thing and it should be at least alright. Still have to figure out the connector from the regulator to my CO2 container, and will trouble shoot that with the brew crew this weekend.

First pint of dark mild. More work to do but on the path.
1644989081506.jpeg

So I was looking around at Systembolaget yesterday, and may have ordered a case each of Black Sheep Ale and TT Boltmaker, and a bottle of El Dorado 15yo dark rum.
I really need to finish up tearing out the old laundry room in the basement so can place my FC there and get brewing again...

So I was looking around at Systembolaget yesterday, and may have ordered a case each of Black Sheep Ale and TT Boltmaker, and a bottle of El Dorado 15yo dark rum.
I really need to finish up tearing out the old laundry room in the basement so can place my FC there and get brewing again...

So I was looking around at Systembolaget yesterday, and may have ordered a case each of Black Sheep Ale and TT Boltmaker,

Not fair! Why is TT available in Sweden but not in Germany?! With my planned trip to England falling victim to first a pandemic, then a baby, I'm working up some frustration over all the English beers I'm missing out on.

And by the time I ever get a hold of TT Boltmaker (or Landlord), my expectations will be so far beyond what beer can be that there can be only disappointment.

Not fair! Why is TT available in Sweden but not in Germany?! With my planned trip to England falling victim to first a pandemic, then a baby, I'm working up some frustration over all the English beers I'm missing out on.

And by the time I ever get a hold of TT Boltmaker (or Landlord), my expectations will be so far beyond what beer can be that there can be only disappointment.
2 of the few positives with a state monopoly on alcohol, is that it keeps the prices of craft beer from getting too ridicolous,except in bars, they charge ridicilous prices for everything.
And availability, in their online shop or if you talk to someone in your local store you have a fairly large selection of beer and spirits that's not in their store shelves, but can be ordered and picked up later.
And if you want something that is not in their regular available for order stock, they are obliged by law to try to import it for you, but then you might have to buy a case of a 100€/bottle rum but still.

@McMullan
I found that vitaminsuk appereantly has a Swedish branch, and that you can buy billingtons demerara sugar,500g packs in boxes of 10 for 250 sek.
Coupled with shipping it came out at about 500 sek, maybe a hundred or 2 more to Norway, still a good deal.
And delitea.se has their light and dark muscovado, they should ship to Norway.
I bought demerara, and a few packs each of light and dark musco, the demerara for invert, and the light musco for my brown ales.
The dark musco I plan on trying in a darker strong-ish Ale
MO as base
7% invert #3
About 5% Simpsons DRC
3% dark muscovado
2% black malt.
  1. OG of 1.060-65 and a bu:gu of around 0.4-0.5, it's still just on the mental planning stage, thinking about a few percent each of Brown malt and T. Wheat also, hopefully will result in something in the same vein as St.Peters Winter Ale.

@McMullan
I found that vitaminsuk appereantly has a Swedish branch, and that you can buy billingtons demerara sugar,500g packs in boxes of 10 for 250 sek.
Coupled with shipping it came out at about 500 sek, maybe a hundred or 2 more to Norway, still a good deal.
And delitea.se has their light and dark muscovado, they should ship to Norway.
I bought demerara, and a few packs each of light and dark musco, the demerara for invert, and the light musco for my brown ales.
The dark musco I plan on trying in a darker strong-ish Ale
MO as base
7% invert #3
About 5% Simpsons DRC
3% dark muscovado
2% black malt.
  1. OG of 1.060-65 and a bu:gu of around 0.4-0.5, it's still just on the mental planning stage, thinking about a few percent each of Brown malt and T. Wheat also, hopefully will result in something in the same vein as St.Peters Winter Ale.
A bit of Amber malt?

And btw, anyone else of the Euros here notice a hop shortage or at least a delay for certain English hop varieties of the 2021 crop to become aviable?
I have been checking my main hop supplier Humlegården and called them once maybe some week ago, and they said they should come soon but still nothing.
Some are aviable but I am waiting for Fuggle, Bramling Cross, First Gold and Challenger. Should I be worried?

Ok, I would prefer to order from humle.se, both because of their better selection and the ease of getting all from one place. I usually buy a large amount at once to last me a while.
But if Maltmagnus have both Fugggle band EKG, the varieties I want are probably coming, they may still be catalogeing the inventory and updating the onlineshop etc, I guess I'll see them sometime during next week hopefully.

So the hops I look for seem to be delayed 2-3 months at Humlegården. I am now contemplating going directly to the source.
Any Brits here know about british homebrew shops with a good selection of English hops who will ship to Sweden?
Looking for Fuggle, Bramling X, First Gold and Challenger.

So the hops I look for seem to be delayed 2-3 months at Humlegården. I am now contemplating going directly to the source.
Any Brits here know about british homebrew shops with a good selection of English hops who will ship to Sweden?
That sounds like a very long delay for hops already on the home brew market. Wholesalers like 'craftco' are possibly manipulating Nordic supplies to latch on, like parasites, to LHBSs. I used to use maltmiller.co.uk. Excellent quality and service for a reasonable price. If you order enough hops shipping isn't too bad and I think they might even take care of Sweden/EU VAT charges at the point of sale. I only stopped using them because of import shenanigans with Norway's new rules, propping up Norwegian wholesalers, it seems.

That sounds like a very long delay for hops already on the home brew market. Wholesalers like 'craftco' are possibly manipulating Nordic supplies to latch on, like parasites, to LHBSs. I used to use maltmiller.co.uk. Excellent quality and service for a reasonable price. If you order enough hops shipping isn't too bad and I think they might even take care of Sweden/EU VAT charges at the point of sale. I only stopped using them because of import shenanigans with Norway's new rules, propping up Norwegian wholesalers, it seems.
To be fair it seems to be because the general bulk cargo F-ery going on in the wakes of Corona lockdowns, they have some varieties of the 2021 harvest in stock but far from all.
I'll try maltmiller, hopefully the international mail system is not as messed up...
Edit: the 2021 harvest seem to be in short supply in the UK aswell...

Last edited:

Might be less hassle importing from Ireland.

www.thehomebrewcompany.ie

They have the 2021 harvest of all those hops.
Most 100g packs actually have a 10% discount at the moment and the 1kg prices are fairly good.

Earlier this morning the website was working perfect but there seems to be something wrong at the moment though. It looks like its working but showing some background links to their website domain provider rather than the normal front page but would expect them to fix that once they realise it.
So maybe check back later but you can still check the prices and so on with the search box at the top right.

Shipping to Sweden is €23 up to 31 KG so you could add some malt to your cart to make it worth your while. They have Maris Otter and some British crystal malts.
I usually add some Honey Malt and Simpsons Naked Oats for some American recipies as these are not available at the other shops I normally order from. Also check out what liquid yeasts they have on discount, sometimes you can get a good deal there.

Last edited:

Most 100g packs actually have a 10% discount at the moment and the 1kg prices are fairly good.

Earlier this morning the website was working perfect but there seems to be something wrong at the moment though. It looks like its working but showing some background links to their website domain provider rather than the normal front page but would expect them to fix that once they realise it.
So maybe check back later but you can still check the prices and so on with the search box at the top right.

Shipping to Sweden is €23 up to 31 KG so you could add some malt to your cart to make it worth your while. They have Maris Otter and some British crystal malts.
I usually add some Honey Malt and Simpsons Naked Oats for some American recipies as these are not available at the other shops I normally order from. Also check out what liquid yeasts they have on discount, sometimes you can get a good deal there.
Thank

I tried making an account, but I can't choose a province for Sweden and that's required info... Might try tonight with the PC since the web version of the website might work better than the mobile version.

None of the Ireland based HBS ship to Norway. Too much hassle with craftco's cousins in customs, if you know what I mean.

I think maltmiller is likely to be your best bet. Shipping around £20.

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product-category/ingredients/hops/?subcat=british-pellet-hops

Unless things improved dramatically since last year, I *strongly* advise against that!
Imports of hop products into the EU are regulated rather strictly and anything above 500g will be difficult to import.

Hell, even just getting my parcel containing only 200g of hops through customs took ages. They requested a description of every single item in the package, thinking it might be hops.

It's really sad because themaltmiller has by far the best selection of more exotic yeasts and bacteria, but it's just not working.

@Shenanigans it worked now on the computer, 1kg of challenger, 500g each of Fuggle, First Gold and Bramling X. now I should be able to brew through the year...
Thank you for the tip!

Good stuff.:thumbsup:
These guys will have to start giving me some discounts.
I've sent several people in their direction now since Brexit.
I'm back home next month so I might drop in for a visit.

I was able to get 500geach of Styrian Goldings/Bobek and EKG and now this so I'm all set for quite a while.
Will be interresting to see when the kilo of billingtons demerara sugar I ordered from vitaminsuk arrives, but that's not hops so it shouldn't be any problems.

Just growing up the starter for a Five points malt base but using Fuggles to bitter and then EKG at flameout and my first year harvest ( will pick during the mash) of goldings. Will get about 50 cones so just using those in the hop missile as a hop back at about 80 degrees. Sunday is the brewday.

Sounds Great! What yeast are you going to use DuncB? The Five Points sounds like a particularly good pint. Will you post some pics when it's ready for drinking?

I'm going to use the WLP013 as that is their recommended yeast. I will definitely post picture of the finished Five points, heres a picture of an American Amber that I did as a test brew on the Guten with the new controller I fitted.
IMG_20220308_172946.jpg

It's just a clone of a Trve brewery in Denver called Hellion a " lawnmower " beer. I hadn't cut the grass but had cut a tree down and pruned some others viciously to keep the view.

Attachments

• IMG_20220308_172949.jpg
    IMG_20220308_172949.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
I'm a big metal fan. So-called 'death metal' is a Nordic thing. Apart from being utterly shite it's based on the inevitable and predictable misery of latitude. Just to put things into perspective, they make Slayer sound like an 80s pop group, relatively speaking. Complete shite, in reality. Just another **** export from Norway, on the periphery of civilisation. Ah-****ing-ha. They were **** too.

Edit: one of my favourite guitarists is Yngwie Malmsteen, btw. My first gig, Poole Art Centre, back some time in the 80s 🤘

Last edited:
Back