English Ales - What's your favorite recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adventures in Homebrewing looks to carry Munton's mild ale malt as well. I'm thinking of just oven kilning some MO for a short amount of time to be honest, since I have a sack of it and I'm on a grad student budget. If you end up using the Munton's definitely report back, I'd be interested in hearing your take. For now I'm probably just gonna stick with my MO, crystal, chocolate (or maybe pale chocolate this time around), maybe a little brown malt since I have it around...worked pretty darn well last time!

Adventures in Homebrewing looks to carry Munton's mild ale malt as well. I'm thinking of just oven kilning some MO for a short amount of time to be honest, since I have a sack of it and I'm on a grad student budget. If you end up using the Munton's definitely report back, I'd be interested in hearing your take. For now I'm probably just gonna stick with my MO, crystal, chocolate (or maybe pale chocolate this time around), maybe a little brown malt since I have it around...worked pretty darn well last time!

Yep, AIH is where I ordered it from.

Time to make a mild for my birthday coming up and Halloween. Here is the last one I did, a 4 gallon batch:

OG: 1.045, IBU: 21

5.25 lbs. MO (toast 1 lb. in oven lightly)
8 oz. UK Crystal 60 (think I only have 80 right now...)
8 oz. Brown malt
8 oz. Flaked barley
5 oz. UK chocolate malt

.25 8.9% AA Challenger @ 60 min
.25 5.3% AA Fuggles @ 60 min (Total IBU from 60 min addition: 15.78)
.33 oz Bramling Cross, .2 oz EKG @ 10 min.

90 minute boil.

Any suggestions for modification? I kind of want to try some biscuit malt that I picked up for a bit of breadiness that I really enjoy, even if it might be a bit out of style. I do have pale chocolate now as well, though I do enjoy a touch of roast flavor. I also have torrified wheat to play with if anyone has done that. Might do back to back mild batches, perhaps one as is above and one with pale chocolate instead of regular chocolate. Any ideas for different hops? I liked the touch of Bramling and EKG at the end, but could be persuaded to change a bit. Just brainstorming, thanks in advance for any ideas!:mug:

Yeah, I'm considering bumping the OG down a bit. It sounds like milds used to be quite a bit stronger, but that was like 1914 soooo...

I may omit the flaked barley altogether, not sure. I don't think it added much in a low OG, low carbed beer, but I could be wrong.

You were born on Halloween & I was supposed to be born on April Fool's Day. But mom had me induced so I wouldn't be razzed as an April Fool. Gotta love how a mother's mind works! I kinda wonder if 5ozs chocolate malt might be edgy with the crystal 60 or 80?

You were born on Halloween & I was supposed to be born on April Fool's Day. But mom had me induced so I wouldn't be razzed as an April Fool. Gotta love how a mother's mind works! I kinda wonder if 5ozs chocolate malt might be edgy with the crystal 60 or 80?

Nah, I was born on the 22nd, but close enough to Halloween, which is possibly my favorite holiday. I know that some friends are going to have a Halloween party, so I might bring a 1 gallon cubitainer of mild over the day before so it's settled by the night of the party. And another gallon for my birthday get together on the 23rd :)

The 5 ozs of chocolate wasn't edgy at all last time with the crystal, just a touch of roast character. I think I'm going to go with pale chocolate this time which isn't as roasty, but also because if I used the regular chocolate and crystal 80ish it would probably push the srm past the range for a mild, or at least at the very darkest side of it.

That's what I was thinking, from my own experiments with chocolate malts & the like. The English chocolate malt is nice. Still experimenting with that one in combination with other grains of...more character, but not too much.

This is what I ended up with. The malt bill is more complex than I wanted, though there is precedent for similar (http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2010/07/lets-brew-wednesday-1952-lees-best-mild.html). Perhaps I should call this a northern brown with slightly low ibus or something instead.

OG: 1.044
IBU: 19

3.75 lbs. MO
.5 lb.UK brown malt
.25 lb. UK C77
.25 UK "Dark crystal"
.25 lb. Biscuit
4 oz. UK pale choclate
8 oz. invert 2ish

.4 oz EKG (6.47% AA) @ 60 min (14.82 ibu)
.33oz Bramling Cross (7.3%AA), .2oz EKG (6.47AA) @ 5 min (4ish ibu)

Pitched a slightly under 1L starter of WLP007 @ 63 degrees. Smelled great during brewing, hydrometer sample looks quite appealing. I'm not nailed down to styles anyhow, it seems like in the first half of the 20th century it was much more loose in the UK. As long as it's a nice beer with English character, I will be happy! Going to do two 1 gallon cubitainers for "cask" serving, each with a bit of whole leaf EKG in the "cask."

Yeah, I draw quite a clear line between British styles before and after WW2. Victorian and Edwardian milds were pretty much all pale / amber and strong.

Yeah, styles seemed to change with the wars & after, due to taxes at the time to support war efforts. That's shaped the way beer styles are versus were.

Well, dang. Was getting set up to bottle 5 gallons of the ordinary bitter & a gallon of malt vinegar. But it started bubbling again today, as it did Saturday after testing it. Tasted a little green/bitter, the other day. I'm gonna wait till tomorrow & check it again. The airlock center piece has been cocked a little since Saturday, so it's releasing some gas pressure. Could just be off-gassing, but at 1.010 FG, & having gotten 1.008 to 1.009 before, I'll think I'll test again tomorrow just to be safe. At least everything's ready to bottle/,ake vinegar.

There's a new Lets Brew today from Ron that is a perfect base for the burton I was planning to make - I was going to do just Pale+invert, but I have mild ale malt and flaked maize that need used, so I think I'll try that. I don't know when to brew it though, I was planning to brew the Jims ESB this weekend for their brewalong on the jims beer kit forum.

Also those of you in the uk check these guys out for hops
http://abushelofhops.co.uk

small farm dealing direct with homebrewers, I got some uk cascade and phoenix from them and got a free pack of pilgrim as a new customer :). Apparently they are going to try some more varieties this year possibly some heritage varieties. I've not opened them yet .

So many beers to brew, so little time :(

Lets brew KK looks like is up for being resurrected! (At a commercial level maybe?)

Yeah, those old British styles take a bit of getting used to. The closes in BJCP would be Old Ale (but with about twice as much bitterness!). Stock ales / old ales are definitively the most underbrewed section of beers in the 'craft' world. I could do with quite a few more out there!

That's impressive for such weak beer. Most stock ales were stronger than a bitter, by a good few percent

That's impressive for such weak beer. Most stock ales were stronger than a bitter, by a good few percent

Oh I know. This was 3.5% initially. The Brett quickly brought it to 3.7%, and there it stayed. Picked up a pineapple thing as Brett C is known to do, also brought out the floral hardcore. That's been overtaken by more funky notes now but for a while it had a major rose thing going on. I'm eventually going to try it with every one of my go to English beers. May toss a bit of lacto and pedio in there too.

I was thinking of doing slightly larger batches so I can fill a demijohn as well and toss in some orval dregs etc, to see how they end up. Might try that

I love Black Sheep Riggwelter, it is by far my favourite English beer.
This beer featured in "Can you brew it" and was cloned successfully.
Regardless, the interview with the brewer was in my opinion awesome and it is worth listening.

The recipe was copied here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=178830

I tried this recipe, but didn't turn out well.
It was my first brew and I decided that I will "improve" the grain bill because, you know, as a first time brewer I surely knew more than Jamil et al... Obviously the beer turn out nothing like the real thing. I am sure more experienced brewers will manage. As for me, I will attempt again once I get more experience.

I love Black Sheep Riggwelter, it is by far my favourite English beer.
This beer featured in "Can you brew it" and was cloned successfully.
Regardless, the interview with the brewer was in my opinion awesome and it is worth listening.

The recipe was copied here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=178830

I tried this recipe, but didn't turn out well.
It was my first brew and I decided that I will "improve" the grain bill because, you know, as a first time brewer I surely knew more than Jamil et al... Obviously the beer turn out nothing like the real thing. I am sure more experienced brewers will manage. As for me, I will attempt again once I get more experience.

That sounds delicious. I may have to give it a go as I've always got 1469 around anyay.

I think I'm going to be brewing my barleywine/XXX/strong/stock ale (mentioned the idea a couple of pages ago) this Saturday. The grist will be mostly MO, so here is a general idea of what I'm thinking (4 gallon batch):

OG: 1.095ish

9.5 lbs. MO
8 oz-1lb. Torrefied wheat
4-8 oz. Brown malt or biscuit malt
1.5-2 lbs. invert 2ish (homemade)

1 bittering charge of EKG in the 60-70 IBU range. WLP007 from my recently finished brown ale.

May drop the brown/biscuit malt, add more water and just boil for like...3-4 hours. Planning on setting one gallon aside with some orval dregs or another brett strain and perhaps a little oak. Any other advice? It will be my first time brewing in this style. Thanks fellas! :mug:

Currently mashing Jims ESB from the JBK forum.

Modified recipe a bit for my supplies but certainly in the spirit of the beer :) Put two starters on the go last night, one was a mixed bottle culture (St Austell, Hook Norton and Hopback) stepped up for 5l of the brew, the other was WLP023 harvested and stepped up for the bulk

Underlet for the first time ever as well, I will be doing that again. Much easier

Subbed caraamber and medium crystal for the two crystal malts in the original

OG 1.052
Yeast - WLP023 and a small batch of st austell/Hook Norton/Hopback mix

85% Extra pale MO
5% Torrified Wheat
5% caraamber
5% medium crystal

Hops
Challenger - 40IBU 60mins

Progress - 40g,15 IBU @ 15min
EKG 40g flameout
EKG dryhop 30g

Underlet for the first time ever as well, I will be doing that again. Much easier

Had to look up that term -- "To get rid of a stuck bed, underlet the lauter by pushing water back up through the spigot. This helps clear the sieve holes. After underletting you should wait about five minutes, then resume lautering"

Were you getting stuck mash?

I think I'm going to be brewing my barleywine/XXX/strong/stock ale (mentioned the idea a couple of pages ago) this Saturday. The grist will be mostly MO, so here is a general idea of what I'm thinking (4 gallon batch):

OG: 1.095ish

9.5 lbs. MO
8 oz-1lb. Torrefied wheat
4-8 oz. Brown malt or biscuit malt
1.5-2 lbs. invert 2ish (homemade)

1 bittering charge of EKG in the 60-70 IBU range. WLP007 from my recently finished brown ale.

May drop the brown/biscuit malt, add more water and just boil for like...3-4 hours. Planning on setting one gallon aside with some orval dregs or another brett strain and perhaps a little oak. Any other advice? It will be my first time brewing in this style. Thanks fellas! :mug:

I'm aiming for something very similar with some raw sugar cane with molasses included I got from Spain. For 5 gallons aiming at 11lb pale, 1/2lb brown, 2lb molasses, similar IBU. If you are using wheat I'd aim at 4-6oz for head retention but not more.

Were you getting stuck mash?

No, I just wanted to try it as I'd read its easier - it was, there was no doughballs to break up at all . It mixed quicker too

Should say it was for the whole of the mash and sparge water - so put dry grains in your mashtun, then fill it up from the bottom

Here's something new I want to try: Export India Porter. http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2012/11/lets-brew-special-1859-barclay-perkins.html

This is for a 4 gallon BIAB as per my usual. I know it's not a common style, but anyone have suggestions? I don't think I will be able to find amber malt, but I may give some of my MO a light toast to approximate. Maybe a touch of flaked barley or torrefied wheat for head retention?

Est OG: 1.068
Est IBU: 89

6 lb. Crisp MO
2 lb. Brown Malt
4 oz. Black patent
1 lb. invert #2

.75 oz. Challenger @ 90 min.
.5 oz. Challenger, .5 oz. EKG @ 60 min.
.25 oz. Challenger, .25 oz. EKG @ 30 min. (Fuggles maybe?)
Dry hop-about 1 oz Challenger and/or EKG

Might brew this weekend. What say ye, fine gentlemen? :mug:

Northern brewer has amber malt I think. If you are brewing authentic use fuggle or ekg maybe.

I've done India Porter, very similar one actually. I think I used mellow hops I had at hand. Very good, the character changes a lot with aging due to the mix of Brown malt (ages gracefully) and dry hopping (fades slowly away).

Edited: I found the recipe I used here (OG 1.059, 68 IBU)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=510963

Edited 2: If I brew this one again I'd reduce the Brown malt to 2-2.5lb, add 0.5lb Amber malt, increase the Black Patent to 4oz. I'd keep an OG around 1.055-1.060.

Nice, glad to hear it worked out for you. I'm a little hesitant at the IBU number, but looking at that barclay perkins recipe, it was probably 89 or higher honestly. For the amber malt I may sub a little biscuit, or toast my own as I mentioned, though it might be a bit late for that.

As far as the hops, I'm not -too- worried about being authentic. For the 90 minute addition I might even consider some Centennial I've had at the back of the freezer for a while since pretty much any characteristic flavor or aroma should be quite gone by then.

LHBS had Crisp amber malt, but did not have black patent. Chocolate malt, dark crystal, or roasted barley to replace? Roasted barley would technically put it more in the stout category, yes? Not that I'm too worried about it...

LHBS had Crisp amber malt, but did not have black patent. Chocolate malt, dark crystal, or roasted barley to replace? Roasted barley would technically put it more in the stout category, yes? Not that I'm too worried about it...
Roasted barley.

Hmmm....not sure you can really sub for black patent. The characters of roasted barley, black patent, and chocolate malts are all quite different, and they're all even further from dark crystal malts. If they don't have black patent, I'd probably go Carafa III if they had that.

The patent is mainly colour correction but it gives a more roast, sharp edge. Either a very dark chocolate or a carafa in higher quantities could do.

True, 4 oz in 4 gallons is not particularly huge, but I find the sharpness of black patent is different from the sharpness of roasted barley, and I don't get much sharpness from chocolate malt. I'd still recommend a very dark Carafa.

Back