emergency! Forgot to add LME!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarthingmoor

Reaction score
Stupid mistake. Brewing 15 gallons yesterday from three kits. But I totally forgot to add the sugar (LME) to the boil! Brewed the rest as expected. This was yesterday. Today, I found the unused LME and checked the primaries. I seem to have some fermentation taking place using the sugar that was in the kit, but it's missing most of the sugar needed to ferment. How can I fix this?

Can I boil the LME in a bit of water, let it cool down and then just pitch it onto the top of the primary?

Will this work? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any help guys. Don't want to ruin these batches.

Can I boil the LME in a bit of water, let it cool down and then just pitch it onto the top of the primary?
Yes. The sooner the better. Your volumes may be a bit off - more beer!

"Someday, we'll look back on this and plow into a parked car." ~~ Woody Allen

Cheers!

How much LME did you forget? I would suggest boiling a gallon or two put the LME in when its boiling. Boil until its fully dissolved chill it via water bath then I would put it in the fridge and chill it for a few hours with the lid on.

This is why it's always good to get all your ingredients ready at the start of the brew day. Good luck on the batch. Lesson learned.

You only need an equal volume of boiling water to a volume of LME to dissolve it. When cooled it will be viscous, but still very pourable. As long as you keep the solution at 165°F for 10 minutes it's pasteurized. There's no need to and it's actually better not to boil it.

Expect some vigorous fermentation after adding!

Back