ebay aquarium temp controller build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it thank you, and Walker for the excellent replies. I built this the other night and seems to be great. I built it into a three way electrical box with a little bit of cutting and it looks pretty good.
I will try to post pics but I follwed the insructions in post #1.

I believe someone posted a link to the owners manual in post #591 of this thread.

I ordered another one on 1/4/11 and it arrived on 1/14/11.

Is there an issue with splicing the sensor wire?

After a couple months of use, some of the insulation on my sensor wire got stripped off and shorted. I spliced some 18 guage (i think) wire onto it, and it hasn't had a problem since then.

Could this temp controller be used for mash temp regulation?

Yes.... technically.

It could definitely turn on an off a heat source based on a temperature reading. But, it uses mechanical relays to act as switches. You will be turning the heat on and off a large number of times when maintaining mash temps in a HERMS or RIMS kind of system. This is not good for mechanical relays and it reduces their life span.

You would probably also have to use another relay (solid state or mechanical) to handle the heating element load, because the rating on this thing is only 10A (a 1200W heater is the largest you could use with it.)

But.... it WOULD probably work.

A PID is not much more expensive, and will drive a solid state relay properly.

After building this project I have come to realize that I am by no means a craftsman. It works and it's functional, but it's not pretty.

Any one have a good ready to print C to F template that is sized for these project boxes?

And now for something completely different........ I started building my ferm chamber that will be controlled by this controller, and now really know that I'm not meant to have tools in my hand. I need a beer! :drunk:

Nope, that's the single-stage. You want this one.

so I just pulled the trigger on this controller.

so I'll one the single stage for my Kezzer, and I'll use the other single stage for my Lagering, and I'll use my dual stage controller for the main fermentation box.

seeing as I had to put a heating pad in with my Hefe to keep it up to temp it wanted to drop down to 64 after the yeasties settled down.

-=Jason=-

I hope you tinned (soldered solid) the ends of the wires to prevent fraying and fire. The screws and terminals on the receptacle and thermostat aren't meant to hold stranded wire.

Also, when connecting wires to screws, you should attach them in a clock-wise fashion around the screw, so that when it is tightened it pulls the wire tighter, not the inverse. Terminating electrical wires onto screws

You shouldn't use stranded wire in a setup like that...the power cord "fine" as long as the ends are tinned or joined to solid core wire with connectors, but for the rest, you'd be much better off going to Home Depot and buying 3-feet of 2-14 wire for $2 and using it inside the housing.

While you're there you can buy a black receptacle and cover for $1.50.

(Coming from an electrician. Not trying to rain on the parade, just some free good advice you didn't ask for.)

Just finished wiring/mounting the controller. I was a bit intimidated at first as I have almost no experience with electrical work, but once I figured the diagram out it was quite simple. Thanks to the OP and everyone else who has contributed to this thread.

I just got an email today from shipper telling me my controller has shipped

-=Jason=-

Let me preface this by saying I am an accountant and not an electrician, but I was just wondering what the difference in wiring is from this controller above and the "standard" 1 outlet?

Thanks
JM

Twice the outlets, that's all I can see. Maybe he's plugging a fan in to each extra outlet?

FWIW - I ordered mine on 1/5.. it cleared customs in Hong Kong on 1/18 and it STILL isn't here.. the email said it can take 12 to 20 days from leaving HK, so the 20 days is up on the 8th..

FWIW - I ordered mine on 1/5.. it cleared customs in Hong Kong on 1/18 and it STILL isn't here.. the email said it can take 12 to 20 days from leaving HK, so the 20 days is up on the 8th..

my first two ebay controllers were here within a week. I guess it really depends on if your controller makes the boat leaving Hong Kong or your controller has to wait for the next boat

-=Jason=-

Twice the outlets, that's all I can see. Maybe he's plugging a fan in to each extra outlet?

Yeah, I think that was the point of the additional outlet. But, I am wondering what the difference in the wiring might be from the single outlet?

I also ordered on the 5th, cleared on the 18th, and its not here. I would be pissed if there wasn't 2 feet of snow/ice on the ground and I could actually brew.

yes, that's globalconn, and that's who I got mine from, too.

I still really can't believe people are complaining about the shipping time. If it's that important, just go buy one complete for $90 from rebel brewing. It'll be at your house in a couple of days!

yes, that's globalconn, and that's who I got mine from, too.

I still really can't believe people are complaining about the shipping time. If it's that important, just go buy one complete for $90 from rebel brewing. It'll be at your house in a couple of days!

Agreed. They are on there for $16 with free shipping sometimes, it doesn't get any cheaper. Patience is a virtue.

I have this controller:

325922166_o.jpg

Is this the same? http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Digital-Tem...ltDomain_0&hash=item3f06c9df61#ht_4153wt_1139

I see it says 220V and m not sure this one will work.

Thanks.

They ship the correct voltage for the country; in our case 110 VAC.

unless the sells has 110V listed.. I would not buy from them just because we use 110V here. ask first or make sure they have 110V listed as well as 220V.

I just don't want some one to order a 220V and think they are going to send a 110V unit.

these two seller offer both 220V and 110V
http://myworld.ebay.com/globalconn/
http://myworld.ebay.com/quality_link2000/

they are proven to ship a quality product that works.

I bought from another seller and ended up getting screwed. my own fault not theirs. but my units were single stage and couldn't do both heating and cooling.

-=jason=-

Alright, after getting caught up in customs for a few weeks my controller arrived this past Friday. Since I already had the outlet wired and in the box I had the temp controller hooked up and working in less then a hour after arriving. I went ahead and used a smaller project box (6X4X2) that someone earlier in the thread mentioned and although it all fit it was a pretty tight fit. I think if I were to do it all over again I would use the bigger box just to give me a little more room to work. Here are a few photos....

tempcontr5.jpg

tempcontr3.jpg

tempcontr6.jpg

Alright, after getting caught up in customs for a few weeks my controller arrived this past Friday. Since I already had the outlet wired and in the box I had the temp controller hooked up and working in less then a hour after arriving. I went ahead and used a smaller project box (6X4X2) that someone earlier in the thread mentioned and although it all fit it was a pretty tight fit. I think if I were to do it all over again I would use the bigger box just to give me a little more room to work. Here are a few photos....

tempcontr5.jpg

4 degrees celsius! hope this isnt in your house! :)

They ship the correct voltage for the country; in our case 110 VAC.

Careful who you order from.

There are at least 3 sellers for these things on ebay. Two of the sellers specifically state that they will ship 110V or 220V depending on which country you live in.

That one linked to above, which is the cheapest of the three sellers, does NOT make this same statement on their listing, so I would check with the guy before you order!

I know there have been a few people that goofed and got 220V versions, and I am wondering if the reason for this is because they ordered from the cheapest guy, and he only sells 220V ones.

I sent the seller a question, no answer yet. Saving $5 really isn't worth the trouble of getting the wrong controller. I'll likely order from one of the two know sellers listed back a few pages. If I hear back from the seller I'll post the response.

nice work ozz!

that seems a little cold for beer...well beer other than BL. ;)

4C is fine to set the keezer at. I keep mine at 2C. When I poor a pint into a room temp glass, My beer is 42*F in the glass. If i chilled my glasses, 35F would be way too cold, but you'd be surprised how much a 70* glass warms up your beer.

Back