Easy sparge for small batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
I'm learning as I go so I typically brew many 1 and 2 gal batches rather than a single big one.

Most of my brews have been partials but I did try one all-grain Witbier that turned out really really well through just dumb luck I think. I'd like to try some more all-grain recipes but i have minimal equipment so this is just stovetop brews.

So my question is, what is an easy sparge technique for a small batches like this? I've read some posts on here that suggest, draining off the full pot, then add the same amount of sparge water over the grains, allow to sit awhile then then pour it off as well and combine them to get your final brew? But how do I calculate what volume of water? And what about timing, how long?

Assume that I want to end up with 2 gal at the end...how do I proceed? Thanks!

You may want to consider using the Biab method instead. I do 1G to 2.5G batches using this method on my stovetop. I use a 4G kettle and do not sparge because I’m able to start with enough water to achieve the desired final amount after grain absorption, boil off, and trub loss. Just have to work backwards to figure out what that initial water amount should be.

I'm learning as I go so I typically brew many 1 and 2 gal batches rather than a single big one.

Most of my brews have been partials but I did try one all-grain Witbier that turned out really really well through just dumb luck I think. I'd like to try some more all-grain recipes but i have minimal equipment so this is just stovetop brews.

So my question is, what is an easy sparge technique for a small batches like this? I've read some posts on here that suggest, draining off the full pot, then add the same amount of sparge water over the grains, allow to sit awhile then then pour it off as well and combine them to get your final brew? But how do I calculate what volume of water? And what about timing, how long?

Assume that I want to end up with 2 gal at the end...how do I proceed? Thanks!

Lets get into the serious math involved in this. You drain off the wort (first runnings) into your ??pot and measure how much you collected. Now check to see how much more would be needed to get to the pre-boil amount you want which is likely to be 2 1/2 gallon since you will likely boil off half a gallon. Now measure this amount of water and pour it in with the grains for sparging, stir well, then drain. Your grains are already saturated so any water you add for sparging will return as wort when you drain it. If you miss your expected amount, either sparge a second time with the amount needed to add or if you got too much, boil a little longer to reduce the liquid.

Honestly, this is making beer, not rocket surgery. If you miss your expected amount of wort you can fix it or just roll with it. Either way you will get beer.

I do 5 gallon batches (generally target 5.5 into the fermenter) but for smaller batches I'd agree with the BIAB route. For 1 or 2 gallons you probably don't need any more than a 20QT pot / kettle (though the 5 gallon would be good for overkill.) put your grains loosely into a bag and submerge with your expected water needs (probably around 3.5 gallons-ish for a 2 gallon batch; counting grain absorption and boiloff.) Once the mash is done, take out the bag, squeeze lightly and start boil. No muss, no fuss.
If you want to do the traditional mash sparge, I agree with RM-MN above, though I would say to add a bit to the sparge amount - if you need say a gallon to get to your expected amount - maybe add an extra quart in for good luck - it's easier to boil off a bit more than logistically to add more in.

Back