Dunkelweizen recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
Hey all, how does this sound for a dunkel?

50% German wheat malt
47% bohemian pils
3% midnight wheat

Simple, but good still?

Thanks

A couple pounds of munich will serve you well in this recipe. Also consider adding a little crystal and/or special (<.5lb each)

I got a bit of Munich in a bag somewhere, what does it add? Going with halllertau and 3068 hefe yeast.

The Munich will add a small amount of Malty flavor and some color.
If you add crystal malt as saltymirv suggests, Cararoma or Caramunich are good choices.

That malt bill is very close to my go to Hefeweizen, 50/50 pils / wheat. So if your looking for a lighter malt flavor to your beer go with it, if you want a it to have a more malty flavor you may want to follow the suggestions of adding some Munich / Vienna.

If you want more banana clove flavors from the yeast make sure you underpitch.

That malt bill is very close to my go to Hefeweizen, 50/50 pils / wheat. So if your looking for a lighter malt flavor to your beer go with it, if you want a it to have a more malty flavor you may want to follow the suggestions of adding some Munich / Vienna.

If you want more banana clove flavors from the yeast make sure you underpitch.

Seconded.

My Hefeweizen recipe is also 50/50 Pils and Wheat. I pitch Wyeast 3068 with no starter. Turns out amazing.

God I love my hefe so much that I'm actually brewing a imperial hefe I guess technically its a Weizenbock. I'm going to keep the grain bill almost the same just going from 4.2% to 7.7%. Pils / wheat and under 10% vienna.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not against adding Munich malt or crystal but I'm looking to brew something that would not be out of place in Bavaria.

Anyway I have 1.2 pounds of Munich and medium crystal (60?) hanging around. Should I throw that in in lieu of the Pilsner?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not against adding Munich malt or crystal but I'm looking to brew something that would not be out of place in Bavaria.

Anyway I have 1.2 pounds of Munich and medium crystal (60?) hanging around. Should I throw that in in lieu of the Pilsner?

I would substitute 6-8 oz of the crystal and 1.2 Lb of C-60 if it were me brewing.

Latest posts

Back