Don't do what I did (or rather, do what I didn't do)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnus44

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to kegging but so far it has been a really positive experience. For hoppy beers the ability to dry hop in the keg and dial in the carbonation and not worry about additional esters or flavors from the secondary fermentation has really improved my brewing. My beers are definitely the crispest out of the keg.

However, I am still learning the ropes. A day after decanting a Bohemian pilsner into the keg, cranking down the posts, setting the top, purging the headspace etc, I went downstairs to find that all of the beer had leaked out into my basement. I had forgotten to tighten the nuts on the beer line. Totally rookie mistake.

Don't forget to tighten ALL of the nuts and couplings on your keg setup, not just on the keg itself. I won't make this mistake again.

Cheers

Ouch...had that happen once. One of the posts had loosened without me catching it. I did manage to save most of the keg, but only because I saw one of the dogs was VERY interested in the bottom of the kegerator and licking up what was leaking out. Didn't hurt her but I had a super sticky nasty kegerator floor to clean.

Things like this happen often. I had a stout on tap in a stand up fridge, clamp came loose while we were away and came home to pour a pint and no flow. Open the fridge to 4 gallons of beer flowing out on to my feet and crusty splatter everywhere. Let’s just say my wife almost took away my hobby lol

Back