Do I add more yeast nutrients or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brettgvdp

Reaction score
So I am a bit confused on the matter. Let me explain my situation: I am brewing my first batch of mead in a 25L brewing bucket. The ratio of mead to water is about 1:3. That's all there is, just water and honey with yeast and yeast nutrients. I added yeast nutrients, stirred, then added the yeast and put the lid on together with the airlock. So far no problems at all, I saw the bubbles in the air lock. But I have been wondering if I am supposed to add more yeast nutrients at some point or not since I have seen others do it. And how am I supposed to know when to add more, if at all? Thanks in advance.

So I am a bit confused on the matter. Let me explain my situation: I am brewing my first batch of mead in a 25L brewing bucket. The ratio of mead to water is about 1:3. That's all there is, just water and honey with yeast and yeast nutrients. I added yeast nutrients, stirred, then added the yeast and put the lid on together with the airlock. So far no problems at all, I saw the bubbles in the air lock. But I have been wondering if I am supposed to add more yeast nutrients at some point or not since I have seen others do it. And how am I supposed to know when to add more, if at all? Thanks in advance.
This is something you should have calculated before starting the batch.

Start here:
https://www.youtobrew.com/mead-making-101

It depends on whom you ask. I add one shot of nutrients at the beginning, and my meads have always turned out fantastic. But feel free to go the complicated route, that's what almost everyone else does.

It depends on whom you ask. I add one shot of nutrients at the beginning, and my meads have always turned out fantastic. But feel free to go the complicated route, that's what almost everyone else does.
Honestly, I'd like to keep it simple for the first time. Good to know that it isn't absolutely necessary, so I might not have done anything wrong in the first place. I will have to continue researching.

Latest posts

Back