DFH 120 minute clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been adding corn sugan in the morning, demerara at night, 4 ounces each, and it's staying at at 1.050. I'm up to 1 pound each of corn sugar and demerara over the 4 days since it hit 1.055. I seem to have guessed appropriately. My krausen has re-formed, I had stirred air into the mix once the krausen had dissapeared after the american II 1272 was done , then added trappist high gravity yeast in a 2 liter starter.

I have been rousing the yeast from the bottom, becuase I didn't want to let the sugar bunch up down there, but this is a top cropping yeast, so it should not matter.

I haven't taken the time to brew in a while and decided to brew a 90 min clone today. While I was brewing I came across this thread. Good to see others are enjoying this beer.

Believe it or not I still have some on tap. It seems to get better with age every time I have some. I love being able to pour 3 or 4 oz at a time. I made the mistake of drinking 20oz or so in a night along with a few other beers and it took me two days to get back to normal.

Scottland: I find it interesting that you used almost 3x the hops in your boil and in the taste test you found them pretty close anyway. Any thoughts? Just wondering if it is worth all that extra $ in hops.

I am going to brew this again in the next week or so and I planned on using a little more hops. Except for it being a little too sweet, I am pretty happy with how mine tastes. I will try to get this one down to 1.020 and keep the alcohol around 16% or so. I keep mine at 10psi because I like it fully carbed, I think it helps bring out all of the flavors.

I really like the wax tops on the bottles. I may have to steal this idea.

Cheers!

I would load up the boil at 90 or 120min with Warrior, and then i think you could continuously hop with however much you want. The bitterness is the key, it helps cut the sweet.

I am targeting 18.3% alcohol by finish at 1.038 with American II, and Trappist high gravity yeasts (trappist added after 1.100 wort got down to 1.055, sugar started the next day, I brewed this 12/9/11, and I've been adding sugar for something around 10 days) I like this recipe, but after realizing how little bitters this beer may have, I may have to make a hops extraction using Butane, then heat it to make the serious bitter flavor I need to get where I want it to be. don't worry about me, I am a mad scientist, I do this every day.

Scottland where you happy with your dry hopping? I have the 10# of sugar in and have left it alone for 2 days now going to check sg tomorrow (damn thing still eating) will be finishing around 1.018 or so.

Awesome job on the ferment, and yes, I was pretty satisfied with the hop aroma. It's really hard to get hop aroma into a beer like this, but I don't feel that more hops would have helped.

how were you adding your sugar? pulling a sample to read gravity, then mix sugar in sample and toss it back in.

Ck the sg today and it has gone down to 1.012 my og was 1.096 + .076for the 10# of sugar for a total og of 1.172. Should I add some more sugar to bring up the fg??

beerman0001 said:
Ck the sg today and it has gone down to 1.012 my og was 1.096 + .076for the 10# of sugar for a total og of 1.172. Should I add some more sugar to bring up the fg??

Daaaaamn. At this point you have to wonder how much further it can go. I'd be pretty happy with that though.

I'm not sure if I should be happy or not.. Guess I will know in a few months. I do like my IPAS to finish in the 1.010 to 1.014 range though. The damn yeast would not stop eating.

I think you're fine. Taste it to see, but I doubt you'll wish it was sweeter. Awesome result!!

I hope I was pulli g numbers out of my ass, 1.038 IS terrifyingly sweet. I on e messed up a dunkleweizen that ended at 1.028, I hated it. to reiterate, my OG was 1.000, I think, maybe higher, then American II (1272) until gravity was at 1.050, I think (scientist my ass.... I'm trying to be an alchemist) and added 5 lbs sugars so far... it's gotten up to 1.060 as of yesterday, and I think I'm done adding sugar. I think my gravity started too high, and I didn't let it get low enough, but it's still bubbling away, I think I'm good. I added sugar dry to fermenter, and gave a few quick turns of the bucket to ensure the previous additions were fully mixed. I added large grain demarara sugar as well, it sinks a bunch, I figured it might pool in the bottom

Just stopped adding sugar to mine before I went away for a week for Christmas. Starting volume range used to calc gravity from sugar. Started with 1.092 og.
added 16lb sugar

OG now: (11gal): 1.1589
OG now: (10.5gal): 1.162

so thats 1.017 fg

11gal: 18.64-22.46% (depending on formula)
10.5gal: 19.03-23.05%

I am curious about your number pennisim; I calculated mine to be about 1.100 og, but I checked and it was 1.112, dunnoo.... but my real question is "Did you measure the final gravity with a hydrometer? I have a reading of 1.060 right now, at a month, kept the level below 1.065, stopped once it started to rise above 1.058. I don't think my yeast is dead, this just might take a while, but, due to problems/setbacks, I can only guess at my original gravity and final gravity. the hopville calulator says I should expect it to get down to 1.034, I hope so, but I have no idea if I calculated right.... I had 4 gallons at start of fermentation, after having topped off a 3.5 gallon boil to 5 gallons, while using 17.5 lbs light pilsen lme, and 1 lbs amber DME (spilled 1 gallon on day 3, yet, my volume is back to 5 gallons after only 7 pounds of sugar additions. I am "in over my head" and wish there were a few dogfish head sharks circling to let me know what's up.....

I am drinking DFH 120 minute right now, so, obviously my spelling and grammmer is off. *drunk*, and I only have 32 posts. man. what will I be up to by the time I have 200 posts.

slowly yes, by my calculations it's 15% away from finished at about 15%, I added some DAP, and areated. it's 4 weeks into fermenting. I had added 5 pounds of sugar out of the intended 6. I could keep going, but I don't think it's a good idea. then again, I coudl rack to secondary off the yeast, and make a starter of trappist high gravity again.

I would recommend WLP099. That is what others have used with great success it can take your beer up to 25%. Are you looking to use to Trappist for the flavor profile?

sort of, mostly my LHBS doesn't carry wlp099, I wanted to use that. Also, I have used trappist high gravity before, it's a good yeast, I like how it tastses when added to california or american ale, just never tried something THIS big before. I might add champagne yeast later, but for now, I am goign to give it a week or two, then to secondary, and if it doesn't taste good in a month or 2, I'm going to have to add WLP099 or just distillers yeast. also lots of hash.

sort of, mostly my LHBS doesn't carry wlp099, I wanted to use that. Also, I have used trappist high gravity before, it's a good yeast, I like how it tastses when added to california or american ale, just never tried something THIS big before. I might add champagne yeast later, but for now, I am goign to give it a week or two, then to secondary, and if it doesn't taste good in a month or 2, I'm going to have to add WLP099 or just distillers yeast. also lots of hash.

I think you need to be more proactive then you current train of thought. Right now you have some very hoppy syrup.:drunk:

OK!!!! so... Uh. I went and did some brewing today, and then, since I was in the mood I went to check on the beer again. So, it turns out, that when I was worried earlier about not having dissolved all the demarara sugar that was in large grain form... I was on the right track. Today, it appears that active fermentation has re-started, I had added DAP and stirred a HECK of a lot yesterday. The temps are at 70-72 degrees in the fermentation bucket, and when I checked today, the gravity had gone UP to 1.070 from 1.065, meaning more sugar has dissolved due to aggitation... though it strikes me that I had been adding 1.005 ppg for each addition, and then agitiating at the next addition to ensure even soluability . I believe there was a layer of sugar at the bottom of the bucket, one which never really did anything but piss off my yeast cake. D'oh.

So, yeah, I want to get it below 1.025 in the end, I did some taste tests, and it seems like that is where the current release of DFH 120 minute bottles is at.

Tl: DR : I added large grain sugars dry, and they didn't dissolve until I agitated at 4 weeks, 1 week after I stopped sugar additions. I hope to get it down to 1.025, and will be happy with anything over 15%.

Awwwwww. well... so, I had a sad day today, and now I am writing in angst, and frustration. I opened the beer up to take abv measurements, and there was a bad smell going on.... and then I realized something. I just hit 12.5 ABV last week, and maybe the american II was drying off... so I cleaned and sterilized everything, put on a hair net (my hair is getting crazy, 8" long.. .I'm a "long hair" I guess you'd say), and went to transfering the beer to a CO2 purged secondary. I doubt the beer is very happy with me, but I took it off the hop filled trub at the bottom of the bucket, and found a nearly black dying yeast cake. :-( It smells like **** and piss. and some bread.

So, I took a sample of the trub to see what had happened (I am thinking on making a pertri dish smear to see what the preveleance of yeasts in the samples were, both using the 12.5% abv wort, and a 1.040 wort with agar added) also I took another sample to spin up and get a 1 gallon starter going. I am using trappist high gravity yeast, which is top cropping, so the samples I've decanted and pulled off the top shoudl be good for a source of healthy yeast to finish off the fermentation.

I knew this would be a science experiment, but I didn't know what I was getting into!!!!! I MUST be eccentric.

Awwwwww. well... so, I had a sad day today, and now I am writing in angst, and frustration.

That's a bummer =( Always a sad day when a beer doesn't turn out right. Extra sad when it's a beer that requires this much time and attention.

scottland said:
That's a bummer =( Always a sad day when a beer doesn't turn out right. Extra sad when it's a beer that requires this much time and attention.

Amen. To be honest though, I don't think the 3787 had what it took to make this beer happen. In my experience in using this strain, it gets to a certain attenuation very quickly but then creeeeps through the last leg of the fermentation. I don't think that's a good habit for this type of beer.

Back