DFH 120 minute clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha, ya I love this little guy

IMG_2613.JPG

Jsmith82 said:
I've ordered supplies from Northern Brewer twice now and you just can not beat their customer service.

I also have had AMAZING customer service with NB. I ordered a large bottle of starsan and it broke in shipping. I sent them a pic when it arrived and I ha a replacement on my doorstep in two days.

When I am shopping I go to NB first. On the rare occasion they don't have what I'm looking for then I shop around.

Yeast arrived this morning, tomorrow is looking like the day.

Brad thats pretty high man, still going though. Where do you have the alcohol calculated at right now? I'm fearing if that gravity doesn't come down further it may be ridiculously sweet..

its still coming down.... still bubbling away and as I saw, slowly going down. Yeah, it's sweet as heck now. I could actually use it for pancake syrup. oh my god. Suddenly I don't care if it goes down.... 5 gallons of sweeeet sweeeet breakfast syrup. I'm making pancakes right now.

Can you give me a ride? I shouldnt drive, been eating pancakes :)

El Packo has been smacked, starter is going, no turning back now. Next post should be some eye candy.

Thanks for posting the process of cloning this infamously big beer.

I would want to try this in the future-seems like a good test of how patient you can be with a complicated, lengthly homebrewing process.

Perfect mash, about an hour into the boil, thanks to your blog Scott I've got a loaf of bread rising made with the spent grains - wonderful idea! 3 lbs bbq beef in the crockpot that will accompany the bread tonight, AND I broke out one of my last 2 Oaked Imperial RyePAs brewed earlier last year.

100% perfect brewday, cheers guys!

My wife just asked me if I wanted to watch Beerfest. Just, wow!

Slap a cherry on top of my previous post.

Great day, I took random photos as I went, here you go:

Family Portrait:
2012-01-22105634.jpg

Cardio:
2012-01-22110143.jpg

9oz mixed hops:
2012-01-22112821.jpg

Portioned out:
2012-01-22121508.jpg

6lbs portioned dextrose aka the "Scarface" shot:
2012-01-22121527.jpg

Mashed out (great BHE):
2012-01-22124406.jpg

A homebrew while you homebrew (Sunday IPA):
2012-01-22134943.jpg

Oaked Imperial Glacier RyePA (brewed early 2011) - this was a treat:
2012-01-22142439.jpg

Random pic, 6 to go:
2012-01-22153756.jpg

Last up, my loaf of mashed grain bread (which was an awesome plate for the bbq beef we had simmering all day):
2012-01-22180042.jpg

So my final stats last night before I pitched my yeast:

OG before sugar: goal was 1.083, 1.095 was achieved however my boil off ratio was off by 1/2 a gallon so I ended up with 4.5 in the end and higher gravity. That said, same amounts for a 4.5gal batch would have landed my OG at 1.093 therefore I pulled in roughly 76-77% efficiency which works well for me. At this point if I get all sugar into the beer and it were to actually go all the way down to 1.010, we're looking at the 18% range. A beast, but still not as much as last year. Higher than I wanted but meh, it is the 120 clone :)

Hard work is done, now time to feed the monster.

Also, I've been contemplating how I'm going to dry hop this beer. I was thinking 1oz of Cascade at 3weeks, 1oz Simcoe at 4weeks, rack over at week 5 into secondary on top of 2oz Centennial then let it sit and settle out. Thoughts?

Sounds good. Whichever dry hop you use last will have the most lasting impression. That schedule looks good though.

Jsmith, you've caused me to get the itch back. I definitely have the hops to do my Citra/Amarillo/Simcoe version. I'm thinking I'll brew it in July this year so my batches will be one year apart. Now I just need to decide if I want to use hop extract to bitter, or stick with warrior.

Jsmith, you've caused me to get the itch back. I definitely have the hops to do my Citra/Amarillo/Simcoe version. I'm thinking I'll brew it in July this year so my batches will be one year apart. Now I just need to decide if I want to use hop extract to bitter, or stick with warrior.

:D Scratch it!

Citra - Jealosy. I wish I could find some. One day Citra and I will meet and something amazing will come from it.

Curious, do you think you would even need an additional bittering hop, or extract addition? Using Citra for Warrior, replacing a 15% with a 12% then doubling the hop amounts?

I went ahead and fed the monster this morning, 8oz sugar down, 5.5# to go. The beer had a massive krausen head on it, at least 6 inches tall in the bucket - it's close to the lid. :rockin: Pretty sure tonight after work I'm going to get my second starter going then feed it tomorrow night with a sugar addition, that would be 2# sugar in when the beer gets the 009, the last 4 don't stand a chance.

Damn I'm excited, I can't wait to drink some of this. Haven't been this amped up about brewing in a long time, it feels good.

Curious, do you think you would even need an additional bittering hop, or extract addition? Using Citra for Warrior, replacing a 15% with a 12% then doubling the hop amounts?

Ya, I really want this to drink like an Imperial IPA rather than something that's closer to a barleywine. I'm literally thinking about using 6oz Warrior just to bitter with from 90min-45min, then continuously hop 3.5oz ea Simcoe, Amarillo, and Citra from 30min to 0. That'll be 16.5oz of hops in the boil, and then I'll dry hop with 9oz.

We'll see. I'm still not sold on cooking 6oz of warrior for 90 minutes, so I'm really considering hop extract in it's place.

EDIT: I did the math on the Hop extract. Northern brewer sells those Hop-Shot syringes, which are co2 extract hop resins (non-isomerized). The problem is, they only have some generic calculations. 5ml hop-shot = 50IBU in a typical gravity beer.

Well that doesn't help me much for a beer around 1.130. So I checked the Hop Union website. Ahhhhh formulas! Hop extract is ~ 1g/ml, so a 5ml syringe has 5g of extract. that 5g of extract is about 2.75g of AA (50-60%). Now we're talking.
That means one hop syringe has the equivalent of 1oz of a 10% AA hop. I'm looking for 100AAU worth of bittering hop, so I'd need 10 syringes! That's like $20 just in hop extract.

I'm thinking about maybe doing half/half. 3oz warrior, 25ml hop extract. We'll see. I know that seems like an obscene about of bittering, but it only calcs out to around 190IBU. Which for a beer like this is fine.

Oh that sounds great!

How about 30 additions in 30 minutes? Eh? Eh? :p

Haha, you have no idea how lazy I am. I was just thinking 4.5oz at 15min and 6oz at 0min. Done! hahaha

But in the spirit of the beer I might do 7 additions, one every 5 min from 30-0. We'll see.

I do like the idea of the hop extract though. That would only be 10.5oz of hops boiled for 15min max rather than 16.5oz in the boil with 6oz boiled for 90min. Should cut down on the vegetal note.

Should cut down on the vegetal note.

Very true - Not going to lie, my wort felt swampy by the end of the boil, and the stirring consistency was very noticeably different after 2 hours. I started prepping to filter while pouring into the bucket but then I got lazy and said F it, poured it all in. Swamp water. The extract shot is a great idea. Bursting is great as well, my favorite way to brew - almost all IPAs I've done get an ounce at 60, the rest goes in <=15min.

Should we take bets to see if you can make it to July? :cross:

Should we take bets to see if you can make it to July? :cross:

I've got a bunch of beers lined up, so it'll be pretty easy. June/July. I just need to buy about 8-9 hopshots and i'll have everything I need.

It's funny, my intended beer is turning more and more into a stronger Pliny the Younger than a weaker 120 minute.

1.5# in, 4.5# to go. The AA is holding up nicely, still getting tons of action. Massive brown bubbly krausen, that familiar smell of alcohol and sweet hops. WLP099 Starter is already bubbling up and looking good - I love that yeast. Tonight 099 dines in hell!

What ever you do, don't smell the starter of WLP099, that yeast throws a TON of sulfer. I couldn't get the smell of rotten eggs out of my nose for an entire day.

2.5# in, second starter has been pitched. Halfway mark is tonight, also will be the first time I'm checking the gravity.

While being a "Holy Grail" -ish homebrew of imperial IPAs, it's undoubtedly the most disgusting beer to watch ferment. lol

Jsmith82 said:
While being a "Holy Grail" -ish homebrew of imperial IPAs, it's undoubtedly the most disgusting beer to watch ferment. lol

let's see pics and or a video of the action.

looks like my extract only version is done fermenting, I enjoy the taste, but it's "dessert beer" for sure, ending at 14.5 appearant Abv, and 1.050 gravity... though, that means if I had taken it to 20% Abv, I think it could have ended at 1.039. keep in mind alcohol has a different Gravity than water, so any ending reading for a beer's gravity will seem to have less sugar than a sample would have tasted.

I'm going to carb this in a keg, long term serving hopefully

I might have missed it, but has anyone tried this with all WL San Diego Super Yeast from start to finish. White Labs figures a 14-16% max alcohol tolerance in a normal fermentation, but I think I could get 3-5 additional % with O2 and dextrose.

I might have missed it, but has anyone tried this with all WL San Diego Super Yeast from start to finish. White Labs figures a 14-16% max alcohol tolerance in a normal fermentation, but I think I could get 3-5 additional % with O2 and dextrose.

Not that I'm aware of. I don't think anyone wants to gamble with a $100 5-gallon batch of beer. The problem is, once a beer this beer stalls out, you're done.

2012-01-26213445.jpg

2012-01-26213500.jpg

Mmmm Mmm, right? Who wants a bowl of that! :mug:

So I took my gravity reading last night as planned, we're current sitting at 1.048 24hrs after I pitched the high gravity yeast, prior to popping the lid off (though not considered solid data), I watched the airlock activity for a bit. Blubbing up every 2 seconds or so on average, the yeast are definitely still hard at work. I've been debating straying from my original plan after the screwy boil off ratio and after crunching some numbers I've came to the following:

As of last night (before I added the sugar addition):
2.5# Sugar added
Adjusted OG: 1.118
Current: 1.048
9.3%ABV

Currently Projected:
6# Sugar added
Adjusted OG: 1.154
Goal FG: 1.010
19.2% ABV

Now as much faith as I keep in yeast, I've watched them fall to this beer before and achieving that low FG IS A MUST, cutting the total alcohol content IS A MUST - it was the overall goal for this batch to create a better tasting roofie in the end (*will tell all below). Therefor I am making the executive decision to cut 1.5# worth of sugar additions out bringing my total added amount in the end to 4.5#. IF (big IF there) the yeast can hold out and get down to 1.010, it will look as follows:

Adjusted Projected Finish:
4.5# Sugar Added
Adjusted OG: 1.139
Goal FG: 1.010
17.2% ABV

I'm keeping the faith - Go yeast go!

**The story of "The Roofie"**
I brought a 6 pack of my 2011 120 to a pool party last summer for some friends with good taste in beer to try out. 1 was opened and split across 4 brandy glasses for four people to try, but then there was "that one guy". We all know "that one guy", he's the man! No little glass for him, gimme that beer, I'll drink it no problem, let's chug something, who's up for playing @sshole, why's he looking at me funny, you wanna go??

Anyway, here you go "that guy", enjoy. He drank it, no problem. Went back and grabbed a second! Me: "Hey bud, keep in mind that's about a 6 pack of bud light per bottle, why don't you take one home for another time".. That guy: "Nah I'm good, I can hold my own". Wild evening turns to night, turns to morning - I get an email.

"What the **** did you put in that beer, I don't remember anything past eating dinner. Next time you brew that you should just call it the roofie"

I was planning on printing labels for this batch and I'm thinking of just printing all black except for a pill, then putting the information across the label like a pharm description would appear. :mug:

Hoo... That WWS tastes like rum raisin schnapps. I wish I would have let the bottle I for age for like... Ever.

Did you get a Burton Baton in that mixer? I like that beer, been debating brewing a clone of it for a while now. You brew the 90min IPA and the old english brown separately, ferment them separately, then rack them together on oak. Quite the DFH type crazy beer..

Enjoy sir, I'm certainly jealous.

All 4.5#'s are in, last addition was this morning. I gave the bucket a gentle swirl to rouse what yeast may have prematurely dropped out then left to take care of some things, got home about 6hrs later to find krausen in the airlock lol. Cleaned it, replaced it, doing fine now. Officially at the mercy of the yeast, looking like that isn't going to be a problem.

Edit: I said 4.5 above, meant 4#. I scaled back another .5# on my recipe.

I shoudl have done that.... 3 weeks ago lhbs had 100 pounds in stock, now they only have ounces left (they split them down to pounds, then ounces as they run out of pounds...)

Back