DFH 120 minute clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all -

I am going to brew this 120 min clone, with the modifications listed on page 15.
that is:
90-60 6 oz warrior
30-0 2oz each Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra
Dry:
1.5oz/week Simcoe,Amarillo,Citra for 2 weeks.

My question is this: Since I was only able to buy citra in a 1lb bag, I will have 11 oz citra left over. Do you think the recipe would benefit if I bumped up the amount of citra hops either in the kettle or dry? Thanks for your input.

Oh man, I'm jealous, that's going to be an outstanding beer. In terms of extra Citra, I'm honestly not sure, this is kind of uncharted territory, and the recipe already calls for a metric-ton of hops. Report back what you decide to do, and let me know how the batch goes, I'm really eager to find out!

Remember you can always brew something else with the extra Citra. There's a recipe for three Floyd's zombie dust on HBT that I hear is pretty good =)

FYI: This blog post has all the consolidated info on the new recipe I want to try. I spent a good amount of time working on the hopping, so i'd reference that. http://bertusbrewery.blogspot.com/2012/01/if-pliny-younger-and-120-minute-had.html

You might consider adding a big flameout charge. That would be a great place to use like 4oz of Citra.

Oh, and PS: Because I really do want everyone that tries to brew this to succeed, the most important thing, is to build up massive, healthy starters of yeast.

I had a 6 liter starter going on my stir plate in a plastic fermenter of WLP007 and a 3.5 liter starter of WLP099 (and I probably should have made this bigger.)

Grow healthy, happy yeast, keep your mash temps low, and this beer should ferment out beautifully.

Hey all -

I am going to brew this 120 min clone, with the modifications listed on page 15.
that is:
90-60 6 oz warrior
30-0 2oz each Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra
Dry:
1.5oz/week Simcoe,Amarillo,Citra for 2 weeks.

My question is this: Since I was only able to buy citra in a 1lb bag, I will have 11 oz citra left over. Do you think the recipe would benefit if I bumped up the amount of citra hops either in the kettle or dry? Thanks for your input.

Save the Citra for later brews!

Oh man, I'm jealous, that's going to be an outstanding beer. In terms of extra Citra, I'm honestly not sure, this is kind of uncharted territory, and the recipe already calls for a metric-ton of hops. Report back what you decide to do, and let me know how the batch goes, I'm really eager to find out!
---

You might consider adding a big flameout charge. That would be a great place to use like 4oz of Citra.

I will certainly be brewing something else after this with the citra, but with 11oz left, I think adding an exta 3-4 oz citra @ 0min will be good, and still leave me with PLENTY for later (perhaps for a SMASH recipe??)

The only other modification I was considering making to your recipe was decreasing the length of the dry hopping time. I have read somewhere (probably on these forums) that when you dry hop longer than 14 days or so, the hops can impart a "vegetal / grassy" flavor.

Can anyone comment on that?

I would probably be more comfortable doubling the dry hop amounts, and just doing 2 weeks of dry hopping.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I just found a 4-pack of the real 120min and cracked one open last night. I was hit with a massive orange-peel flavor on the finish, which I don't previously remember tasting. I think citra will be PERFECT.

I've never seen any grassy flavors from heavy dry hopping, but you certainly can shorten the time if you like.

If you go that route, dry hop more often, rather than doubling the charges. So dry hop the beer 5 or 6 times, every 2-3 days. That's what I would do.

I've never observed the grassiness either, even when I used 8 ounces of cascade pellets for a month. I think some hops are just grassy, and so there's been some confusion because of that

Gravity test tonight, been 2 weeks now since brew day - I'm anxious to see where the batch stands. If anybody here has extra citra (I see a lot of you have it stockpiled) and care to let a couple ounces go, please PM me, we can work something out. It's the grail hop for me at the moment, can't find it anywhere. Wanting to brew a light session citra pale ale.

Side note, my buddy turned me on to reading rage comics and man they crack me up - bad drawings, good facial expressions, great points, guess I'm a sucker for the interwebs humor. Why share this, I made one with the 120 in mind, our worst nightmare... Thinking about printing it on a full page sticker for the beer fridge :cross:

worstnightmare.png

I've never seen any grassy flavors from heavy dry hopping, but you certainly can shorten the time if you like.

If you go that route, dry hop more often, rather than doubling the charges. So dry hop the beer 5 or 6 times, every 2-3 days. That's what I would do.

This is what I will be doing then.

90-60 min 6oz warrior
20-0 min 2oz each Amarillo/Simcoe/Citra (0.2oz * 10 additions))
@ 0 = 1.5simcoe 1.5 amarillo 5.5 citra (4oz extra over your recipe)

Dry - 2 weeks total :
0.9oz * 5 additions of simcoe & Amarillo = 4.5 oz each (simcoe/amarillo)
1.2oz * 5 additions of citra = 6 oz

And just so i'm clear...you're starting the dry hopping after the wlp099 fermentation is complete correct?

Sounds good. And yes, once the beer is completely fermented out, and you've absolutely hit terminal gravity. Rack the beer to age some in a secondary. I'm usually against secondaries, but a beer like this definitely needs one.

Then when you're 14 days from when you plan to keg/bottle the beer, start your dry hop. You want to dry hop as close as possible to when you'll be drinking it.

I have a fermenator so the dump valve is going to come in very handy. Do you think it would be beneficial to dump the trub from the inital fermentation of wlp007, or leave that cake there after pitching wlp099 starter? I'm thinking it probably wouldn't hurt to leave it.

I have a fermenator so the dump valve is going to come in very handy. Do you think it would be beneficial to dump the trub from the inital fermentation of wlp007, or leave that cake there after pitching wlp099 starter? I'm thinking it probably wouldn't hurt to leave it.

Oh totally, that's going to save you a ton of work. And yes, i'd just leave the wlp007. Also if you can rouse the yeast during the process, that will help, as some yeast will floc out early, and you'll want to get it back in suspension. Once it's totally fermented out, just dump your yeast and trub, and age it like that.

Alright Ive been following this thread for sometime now and Im all in! This looks like a great time and my buddy and I are going to brew this weekend. Here is what Im going to do.

10# 2-row
1# Crystal 60
3# Golden Light DME

same hop schedule as you guys 40 additions (1 every 3mins)
6oz Magnum US
3oz Cascade
3oz Fuggles

4# Dextrose added in (8) 8oz additions

1056 Gen 4 (house yeast) 800ml starter, stepped up to 4l.
1056 Gen 4 (house yeast) 800ml starter, stepped up to 4l.

2nd yeast will be added when the dextrose is added around SG:1.020ish
I cant get 099 around here and dont want to order it online. My lhbs says to use champagne yeast for the second part but im still debating.

2oz Magnum DH
4oz Cascade DH
2oz Fuggle DH
last 2 wks before bottle.

This has inspired me to do something that Ive never done before in brewing and am very excited. Thanks for all the info and pics. IMO this is one of the best threads on hbt.

Im even toying with the idea of re-mashing the grains after I get to a boil and have a lighter beer as well.

I cant get 099 around here and dont want to order it online. My lhbs says to use champagne yeast for the second part but im still debating.

Northern Brewer, they got mine (099) to me in 2 days.

I agree, this thread is great. It's one of few that I don't mind seeing in bold when I check "my replies".

Northern Brewer, they got mine (099) to me in 2 days.

I looked at my new catalog and they didnt have it listed. Maybe I should check online as well. I know my recipe isnt the same as DFH but I like the hops and thats what I usually get in bulk. So thats why im using them.

Your recipe looks fine, that's the beauty of homebrewing, you can brew to your taste.

Definitely get your hands on some WLP099 though, I don't think 1056 will go the distance.

I looked at my new catalog and they didnt have it listed. Maybe I should check online as well. I know my recipe isnt the same as DFH but I like the hops and thats what I usually get in bulk. So thats why im using them.

I bought it online: click here

NB rocks, they have impressed me time and time again.

I checked this morning and they have it. I'm going to see what else I can grab if I'm going to go for it. Thanks guys.

2012-02-09205115.jpg

Down to 1.020 and still going. Airlock is still bouncing, still sporting a 1/2 inch of krausen. I tasted the sample, good stuff - sweetness is definitely tamed. I'm more excited now than ever, 1.010 seems very possible, if I dont hit it, it will be very close.

Now that I have citra in the mail I'm debating switching the dryhop schedule to include some.

Did a little math here this morning:

OG: 1.095
+ 4# dextrose (.037)
1.132 Adjusted OG
Down to 1.020 and falling

Current adjusted ABV: 15.1%
Projected ABV if 1.010 is achieved: 16.5%

Damn time for moving so slow. Patience is not strong with this one....

Did a little math here this morning:

OG: 1.095
+ 4# dextrose (.037)
1.132 Adjusted OG
Down to 1.020 and falling

I'm slightly confused with the calculation. Seeing as how I'm brewing this on Sunday, I need to get this right. Correct me where I go wrong.

I thought the calculation was : (dextrosePPG * lbDextrose) / volume = total gp added. For dextrose monohydrate, the ppg = 37. Assuming you have a 5 gal batch, the calculation would go (37 * 4 ) /5 = 29.6. Adding those points to your OG of 1.095 would yield 1.125.

Did you have a different batch size or did I do something wrong?

My boil off ratio was incorrect and I ended with roughly 4.5 gallons prior to pitching, using your equation puts out at a rounded .033. Still lower than what I showed above, those figures were made in beersmith.

Man I hadn't planned on doing anything like this for awhile, but it's all kind of accidentally falling together... Got a 2 liter starter of 001, a 2 liter of 099 that I nursed from an 8 month old vial, a freezer full of hops, and a couple knuckle heads coming over tomorrow that want to help brew a big IPA... I'm not going to go the full monty though, I want to stop at around 15%

hahaha I am still going on my old 12/9/11 version, all extract might I add!!! (I need a re3ason to go to all grain I suppose) I tasted it today at another testing point, and it's down to 1.048, so it's not going anywhere fast, I think that's more to do with the extract at this point, as temps were consistant throughout, and yeast health was pretty good (as good as possible without o2 injections I mean). At the tasting, it seems like a decent brew... and Ir ealized something, this has lots of another sort of "extract" in it, and the flavor is hoppy, then sugary, then "herby" I guess wodul eb the best way to put it. I know Avery has some beer with up to 1.038 finish, so I'm not too upset by this right now, though really wondering what it might be like in the end... probably a derrest beer, but who knows!!! I'll have to think of the right use and just go with it later, because it's still quite young, and intense!

I am going to have to go all grain, and mash lower longer to get my desired results!

hahaha I am still going on my old 12/9/11 version, all extract might I add!!! (I need a re3ason to go to all grain I suppose) I tasted it today at another testing point, and it's down to 1.048, so it's not going anywhere fast, I think that's more to do with the extract at this point, as temps were consistant throughout, and yeast health was pretty good (as good as possible without o2 injections I mean). At the tasting, it seems like a decent brew... and Ir ealized something, this has lots of another sort of "extract" in it, and the flavor is hoppy, then sugary, then "herby" I guess wodul eb the best way to put it. I know Avery has some beer with up to 1.038 finish, so I'm not too upset by this right now, though really wondering what it might be like in the end... probably a derrest beer, but who knows!!! I'll have to think of the right use and just go with it later, because it's still quite young, and intense!

I am going to have to go all grain, and mash lower longer to get my desired results!

Well, you're pretty much right on the money with Homebrewchef's FG give or take a few points. Looks like you might be enjoying this as a treat for winters to come, a sweet after dinner brew to warm the insides on a cold night :mug:

After the Amarillo and Citra order was delivered last week I've decided to change up my DH schedule as follows:

@ 5 weeks till bottle day - 1 oz Cascade
@ 4 weeks till bottle day - 1 oz Simcoe
@ 3 weeks till bottle day - 2 oz Centennial
@ 2 weeks til lbottle day - 1 oz Amarillo / 1 oz Citra

The conservative brewer on one shoulder is telling me to stick to the original plan, don't mix so many hops and flavors together, stick to the plan... However the rebel brewer on the other shoulder is telling me to throw more! MORE MORE MORE! You know what goes good with hops? More hops..

Anybody care to input their opinions? What would you do?

:off:
10# Maris Otter
Mash @ 152 for 60min
[60] - .5oz Citra
[10] - .5oz Citra
[02] - 1oz Citra
1056 American Ale w/ starter
Dryhop 1oz Citra 10 days before bottling

This is my Pale Ale plan for this Friday, a Maris / Citra SMaSH. Calling it the Tropical Otter :mug: Just thought I'd share.

Last week I was unable to brew this up so this weekend it's a green light! I made a 800ml starter on Wednesday and stepped it up to 4l yesterday. I'm on my way to a great adventure. I ordered the WLP099 today too. I'm taking your advice Scotland. I trust my lhbs but you guys have the personal experience with this monster. Why mess with something that works. Only difference is the starter size. I figure I'm not going that high on ABV so make a 4l instead of a 6l. Will keep up with my results.

Gravity test tonight, been 2 weeks now since brew day - I'm anxious to see where the batch stands. If anybody here has extra citra (I see a lot of you have it stockpiled) and care to let a couple ounces go, please PM me, we can work something out. It's the grail hop for me at the moment, can't find it anywhere. Wanting to brew a light session citra pale ale.

Morebeer has a citra pale ale extract kit for 24.99 so when i ordered ingredients for this brew yesterday i ordered that as well,,, it will be nice to have a simple brew after all the work this will require.

So like i said, i ordered everything i didnt have for this yesterday... my bday is in 3 weeks so brewing this is my present to myself,,,lol. I have only been brewing about 10 months and have done about 30 5 gallon batches in that time. I just went all grain so this is definitely going to be a challenge for me. I am going to be reading as much as i can but i have a few questions off the bat..

1) what is the best temp/mash schedule for this?
2) I dont have an oxigen setup either so has the olive oil method worked for others?
3) I ordered or have all the hops in the original recipe but i also have a crapton of ctz/columbus (bout 30 lbs) where can i throw a whole bunch of it into this?

Im sure there will be plenty more leading up to brew day but any help will be greatly appreciated!

I use olive oil a bunch for starters, and it seems to help. I got even fermentation all the way to the bottom, but I used extract which has a high residual sugar content, so it ended at 1.048, which is ok. I say go for it, it won't hurt your beer that's for sure.

Very good brew day. Here is how it went...

10# 2-Row
1# Crystal 60•L
3# Golden Light DME

6oz Magnum 9.6% AA
3oz Cascade 6.4%AA
3oz Fuggles 4.4%AA

3gallons heated to 164*F
Mash in @ 150*F for 60min
Iodine test confirmed conversion
Batch Sparge 8gallons @ 170*F stir, rest 10 mins.
Yield: 7gallons OG: 1.050
Add 3# DME Boil for 120mins
Hop additions are distributed evenly every 3mins through out the 120min.
Yield: 5.25 gallons
OG: 1.086
Cooled and pitched yeast @ 60*F
Yeast: 1056 house yeast 4th generation starter stepped up from 800 ml to 4L.

image-210879356.jpg

Starter

image-3095716965.jpg

4L starter

image-210879356.jpg

image-210879356.jpg

800ml starter

image-1686929604.jpg

HOPS!

image-565694174.jpg

Sparge

image-2488293278.jpg

image-4267397578.jpg

Boil

image-790863935.jpg

image-790863935.jpg

That's where it begins

Sorry for the multiple pics. One, two, six too many bigfoots today. Starting tomorrow I will make a 800ml starter of the WLP099, stepped up to 4L. When gravity reaches 1.020-1.030 I will rack to secondary add 4# dextrose in increments of 1/2# doses along with a pitch of the WLP099 with the first dose.

After this ferments out I will dry hop with 4oz cascade, 2oz Magnum and 2oz Fuggles evenly over 2 weeks.

Cheers!

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

:off:
I can't wait to get a gas burner and a larger brew pot, looks so convenient.

I use olive oil a bunch for starters, and it seems to help. I got even fermentation all the way to the bottom, but I used extract which has a high residual sugar content, so it ended at 1.048, which is ok. I say go for it, it won't hurt your beer that's for sure.

So you basically just put a pin drop in the starter boil? You only put it in the first when your stepping up right?

I add a tiny drop directly to the yeast every time I expect yeast growth. Think of it as a replacement for aeration. So I'll add to the yeast before making a starter, and I'll add to the starter slurry before pitching it into the batch of wort.

Ahhh..add it right before pitching? Im excited to brew this. Any recommendatiins on where to use a whole bunch of columbus with this? Hops i have on hand are simcoe, citra, amarillo, chinook, centenial, magnum, sirachi ace -an pound of each... and like 30 pounds of columbus

Bittering. Columbus works really well as a bittering hop. Replace the warrior with Columbus, but factor in the AA %. CTZ almost always has less

Latest posts

Back