DFH 120 minute clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Want to sell any of that CTZ?

I have been selling it 9 bucks a pound, i also have perle and tettnanger. check out "holy hops batman" in the classifieds. Shipping is flat rate, 2lbs for 6 bucks or up to 6 pounds for 11 bucks.

The little extra money i made is what paid for my ingredients for this brew!:mug:

This thing is fermenting nicely at 61*F. Made the 800ml starter with WLP099 today. I'm watching it closely cause I don't have a blow off tube. It seems like its a beast inside there already and now I know what that expression means. I will raise the temp slightly to 64*F in a few days to keep these guys from being sluggish.

I have been selling it 9 bucks a pound, i also have perle and tettnanger. check out "holy hops batman" in the classifieds. Shipping is flat rate, 2lbs for 6 bucks or up to 6 pounds for 11 bucks.

The little extra money i made is what paid for my ingredients for this brew!:mug:

kosmokramer - I searched the classified adds and the entire forum and didn't pull anything up for this? Do you have a direct link to where you bought them?

Columbus and CTZ are the same hop. CTZ stands for Columbus, Tomahawk, Zeus. All trade names for the same thing. Just FYI

I know but both were 44u pound boxes from hop union. One was labeled columbus abd on was labeled ctz. I dont know why hop union would do that but thats how they are labeled from them.

I ordered the warrior but i think imma save it for another batch and use some of the ctz

OH YEAH!!>>> i had 280 lbs from a brewery...lol i kept 5 of saaz, 5 of northern brewer, still have perle tett, columbus and ctz... i need to brrew some BIG ipas with this columbus

Checked gravity this morning and it's got a huge krausen on it like I've never seen before. SG: 1.030 and tonight I'm going to add the first sugar additions 8oz along with the WLP099. I've decided that I have enough head space to keep it all in the same fermenter. So I think my gravity will be up to 1.090 with that sugar addition. Anybody please feel fee to correct my math.

I may be interested in some hops by the way. Just have to see what I would like if your still selling? I will PM when I'm ready.
Cheers

Checked gravity this morning and it's got a huge krausen on it like I've never seen before. SG: 1.030 and tonight I'm going to add the first sugar additions 8oz along with the WLP099. I've decided that I have enough head space to keep it all in the same fermenter. So I think my gravity will be up to 1.090 with that sugar addition. Anybody please feel fee to correct my math.

I may be interested in some hops by the way. Just have to see what I would like if your still selling? I will PM when I'm ready.
Cheers

Sounds good... since this is my next brew, what formula do you use to compute the rising gravity?

it's got a huge krausen on it like I've never seen before.

Sounds about right, the big ol' muffin top krausen cloud - like a brown homebrew trophy :mug:

I haven't checked my gravity lately but I assume it's sitting pretty low - it was on track for the goal, at this point if it's stalled there will be no restart - I don't have a reason to open the lid unless completely necessary so my next gravity reading will probably not occur until I start the dryhop process.

Kosmo - that is a !@#$ ton of hops. You should brew a Columbus hop bomb bursting the back end of the boil with massive amounts, then when serving it bring along some pellets and drop one in each beer drank. I've heard of breweries doing this with massive IPAs - kind of a fun idea, sounds like you have enough to spare. We grew columbus last year and I brewed a California steam with it, the taste was okay, I just wish I had more to contribute to the brew at the time.

Ok so I have a SG:1.034 with a OG:1.090. I added the yeast and 8oz of dextrose.

Here is pic of that muffin!

image-1788778774.jpg

image-3886653416.jpg

Sounds about right, the big ol' muffin top krausen cloud - like a brown homebrew trophy :mug:

I haven't checked my gravity lately but I assume it's sitting pretty low - it was on track for the goal, at this point if it's stalled there will be no restart - I don't have a reason to open the lid unless completely necessary so my next gravity reading will probably not occur until I start the dryhop process.

Kosmo - that is a !@#$ ton of hops. You should brew a Columbus hop bomb bursting the back end of the boil with massive amounts, then when serving it bring along some pellets and drop one in each beer drank. I've heard of breweries doing this with massive IPAs - kind of a fun idea, sounds like you have enough to spare. We grew columbus last year and I brewed a California steam with it, the taste was okay, I just wish I had more to contribute to the brew at the time.

any idea of a recipe? beersmith has the more beer columbus ipa recipe wich uses an oz for bitterin and 4 oz late additions... i was gonna double up the lates and maybe triple dryhop?,,, i dont want to overdo it but as long as i like it, most of my friends are bmc drinkers anyways...lol

woo hoo,, just got shipping confirmation,,,, ingredients are on their way! I dont want to rush this brew so maybe two weeks, My bday weekend!!!

Almost had a blow out last night! I had to change the airlock twice. Which means I had to move my fermenter into the shower and the temp dropped to 59*F overnight. I moved it back to its home this morning with hopes of it warming back up to 64*F I hope I didn't lose the WLP099 with the overflow plus I hope I'm not stalling the busy guys. I added the 2nd 8oz of dextrose this morning. SG: 1.024 + 8oz brings me to 1.028 and OG:1.094. Tonight I will add 1# dextrose cause I think the yeast need more stimulation. What do you guys think? Keep with the 8oz additions or go to the 1#?

hopcop said:
Almost had a blow out last night! I had to change the airlock twice. Which means I had to move my fermenter into the shower and the temp dropped to 59*F overnight. I moved it back to its home this morning with hopes of it warming back up to 64*F I hope I didn't lose the WLP099 with the overflow plus I hope I'm not stalling the busy guys. I added the 2nd 8oz of dextrose this morning. SG: 1.024 + 8oz brings me to 1.028 and OG:1.094. Tonight I will add 1# dextrose cause I think the yeast need more stimulation. What do you guys think? Keep with the 8oz additions or go to the 1#?

Sounds like you need to invest in a blowoff tube.

Haven't posted here in awhile but I just wanted to add my own update.

Here is the recipe I used

15 2-row
1 victory
0.25 Crystal 60L
2 Dextrose

Time OZ TYPE
90-60 6 Warrior
20-0 2 Amarillo
20-0 2 Simcoe
20-0 2 Citra
15 1 Whirfloc
0 1.5 amarillo
0 1.5 Simcoe
0 5.5 Citra

DRY: Total amount spread out over 5 additions (2 weeks)
4.5 Simcoe
4.5 Amarillo
6 Citra
All the hops except for bittering were whole leaf, and I made the mistake of not using a hop bag! It clogged all my tubes and such, so I had to scoop it out from my brew kettle using a mug and a spaghetti strainer for straining before going into the fermenator.

So that is basically 2lb hops for a 5.5 gal batch!!

I ended up undershooting my target og a little and having to add extra sugar. I was able to bump up my additions to 24oz a day since the yeast were so active. I made a 6L starter for the initial pitch, plus double nutrients and olive oil. For the WLP099, I made a 2L starter with nutrients and OO. I'm not sure if the OO or large starters were the key, but I had a GREAT fermentation. Super active. Added approx 12lb sugar in total to the beer, which has now fermented down to 1.005. My final (OG) is about 1.140 after the sugar additions, which leaves me with approx. 18% abv.

I just removed the trub and hop debris last night and took a taste. I was initially hit with a burst of sweetness, followed by a piney bitterness, which is finally washed away with a warm burst of alcohol.

I think the MASSIVE amount of hops is going to turn out great, but even if this is awesome, I'm not sure I'll make it again due to the enormous amount of time and effort involved in this beer. I would avoid whole leaf hops if possible, but I was only able to buy them by the lb. whole.

I'll be starting the dry hops in several days, and keep you updated.

What do you guys think? Keep with the 8oz additions or go to the 1#?

I started with 6oz 2x a day , then immediately bumped up to 12oz, and by the third day I was adding 24oz morning and night. If your gravity is dropping fast, add that sugar! I didn't have any problem with giving the 099 plenty of sugar.

1.005! That's what I'm talking about!!!!

Realistically it won't be as dry as 1.005 sounds because of the difference between real attenuation and apparent attenuation. That should be a fantastic beer there, please keep us updated with how it comes out.

clex25 said:
I started with 6oz 2x a day , then immediately bumped up to 12oz, and by the third day I was adding 24oz morning and night. If your gravity is dropping fast, add that sugar! I didn't have any problem with giving the 099 plenty of sugar.

Thanks for the info. I bumped it up to 1# tonight. SG:1.020 added 1# dextrose bringing it up to 1.028. OG:1.102. I think I will be adding the rest in pounds with 2 more to go. I hope the FG doesn't get too low. Either way I'm sure it's going to be a good brew.
Cheers!

I think may invest in a blow off tube. The wife isn't too happy with a giant wort bomb.

is this brew supposed to be continually hopped like the 60 and 90 or is it different with a 2 hour boil? Im trying to figure out beersmith (Just got it) and plan the brewday

I boiled for 120mins. I upped my Sparge to equal enough for the boil off. I did hop additions every 3 mins during the boil. I used 6oz Magnum (4.2g) 3oz Cascade (2.1g) and 3oz Fuggle (2.1g). I did the method of Jsmith. It tasted awesome. I'm going to dry hop the same way. 4oz Cascade, 2oz Magnum and 2oz Fuggle spread out over 2weeks. Currently at SG:1.024 added 1# dextrose OG:1.110.

I really like doing this brew. Unlike my other brews this keeps me on task instead of itching to find the time for another brew day. I still have to bottle a bock I have been lagering for over a month now.

I saw on one of these pages mash temps at 148-149*F. I mashed at 150*F for 60mins. Single infusion. I think Jsmith and Scotland agree to keep it low for a good fermentation.

Ya, I mashed at 147-148. Mash as low as you are comfortable going while being sure you completely convert the starch to sugar. Don't worry, this beer won't be thin bodied.

any idea of a recipe? beersmith has the more beer columbus ipa recipe wich uses an oz for bitterin and 4 oz late additions... i was gonna double up the lates and maybe triple dryhop?,,, i dont want to overdo it but as long as i like it, most of my friends are bmc drinkers anyways...lol

When all else fails, 2-row and crystal.

You could do something like 10# 2row, .5#crystal - Mash 1hr 150-153. 1oz at 60, then wait and hop burst the hell out of the back end with a couple monster additions and give it a massive dry hop before bottling - ferment out with a clean ale yeast, honestly I really love using 1056. Simple, clean, delicious.

Do you own Beersmith to assist you in writing a recipe (I saw you mentioned it above but I figured I'd ask)? I'd be glad to throw something together to help out if not.

Nice pics Hopcop! I almost lost the lid on my bucket as well, got to love that super yeast, you could probably mash and ferment a pair of socks with that shiz if you wanted to lol.

+1 with Scottland, keep it low and slow, just get your conversion.

EDIT: "food for thought..."

10# us 2row
.5# crystal 60
Mash 13qt @ 150-152 for 60, sparge 3.75gal at 167-170
[60] - 1oz columbus
[15] - irish moss
[05] - 3oz columbus
[01] - 4oz columbus
#1056 AA w/ starter
2oz dryhop 20 days before bottling
2oz dryhop 10 days before bottling

1.057 OG
1.014<= FG
5.5%+ ABV
85IBU

I'd brew it, heh.. Just throwing it out there

Nice pics Hopcop! I almost lost the lid on my bucket as well, got to love that super yeast, you could probably mash and ferment a pair of socks with that shiz if you wanted to lol.

Thanks! Lol. I looked at the bucket and the airlock was filled with krausen, the lid was rounded! I pulled out the airlock and it exploded everywhere. I added the last edition of dextrose today. SG: 1.032 after the last pound of dextrose giving me a OG:1.118! Its not like what you guys are doing but its what I wanted to shoot for. I never have done anything like this so I wanted to go no higher than 15% for the first time.

Im looking for some advice on bottling. I plan on bottle conditioning cause thats all I can currently do. Will the bottles carbonate with this amount of alcohol? Would I need to use champagne yeast? I normally add dextrose and water and mix it into the beer when racking to the bottling bucket.

Thanks for the info on how to make this beer. I wouldnt have a clue if this thread was not started.

Cheers.

At 15%, I think you could probably bottle condition. I've done 13% no problemo. I recommend using champagne yeast, and making a small starter or activating it some way before you bottle with it. I'm not sure how much yeast would survive if you rehydrated it in 15% alcohol.

Woo hoo ingredients are here with enough c60 to brew the columbus and an extract citra pale ale from more beer!

Ok, i will brew next friday so i will be getting started on the starters this weekend. Can you guys walk me through this...
boil 2 liter starter, chill, pitch vial
Stir plate couple days
boil 4 liter starter, chill, add 1 drop olive oil
pitch 2 liter starter
Stir plate couple days
Cold crash decant and pitch to chilled wort with another drop olive oil and yeast nutrient

Is this right?

2012-02-24_17-50-13_697.jpg

Nope... all grain.. the more beer citra pale ale extract kit was only 24 bux so i added it to the cart on impulse... i just ordered another pound of citra so i will hop that sucker up once i am done with the 120.

I have a blonde to brew, citra pale ale to brew, 10 gallons of centennial blonde to keg, pliney clone to keg... busy brewing week

Back