Cut off all the bines after harvesting hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
My first year cascade produced 7.5 ounces wet and my first year wild neomexicanus produced 28 ounces wet. Now that I've harvested all the hops, should I chop back all the bines?

I guess i'm looking for the best procedure for making sure the root system stays happy post-harvest.

If you have the ability to leave the bines after harvest do so for at least the first 2-3 years. This will help the roots significantly. In the spring before they are going to come up again remove the bines and clean up.

If you have the ability to leave the bines after harvest do so for at least the first 2-3 years. This will help the roots significantly. In the spring before they are going to come up again remove the bines and clean up.

Perfect! Thanks for the info. I didn't cut the bines when harvesting so they're still up. I'll just leave them be until next spring.

Honestly, with healthy hops, it doesn't really matter what you do (cut down or leave in place). If your soil is well amended and if you leave in place, your hops sprouts next year will most likely climb up the old bines.

The "best" practice, IMO, for your situation as advised by TandemTails is to leave the bines intact until the first frost (or thereabouts), then cut them a few inches above ground level and cover with compost or well rotted manure. This will give them another month to photosynthesize and send nutrition to the roots. ... speaking from 15 years growing experience in Colorado (similar to your climate) and the midwest. Your first frost date is probably around 10/1, so let them soak up some of that SW sun a little longer!

While composting/mulching work well in the dry Mountain West, we have found different methods are necessary for growers in higher humidity areas like the southeast US. We harvest the whole bines 2' above the ground and leave the remaining plant until after the first killing frost. At that time we cut them off at the ground and remove all vegetation from the hop yard. We do not mulch over the winter because it creates an environment for disease and insects.

Back