Too late to cut all growth back?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x3la

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My hops are in their 3rd year (in NJ). I've dropped the ball a little. Should I cut all of this growth back to ensure that I don't focus growth on Bull shoots and instead wait for a stronger second wave of growth? Or have I waited too long to do this? These are Fuggles and Goldings. Photo was taken 2 weeks ago.

20230502_145527.jpg

I don't know the answer but have the same question. Last year, I did NOT cut back the first growth because I thought it was too late (early May) and I regretted it later when I did not get the big yield of Chinook hops I expected for a 3 year old plant. This year, I've already cut back the first shoots, but am wondering when to stop cutting them back.

Ya'll have been growing longer than me so take this for what it's worth (free) I don't think you NEED to cut any bines unless they are over crowding each other or obvious bull shoots right ? And then if you decide to thin them out look for the ones with the widest internodal spacing to cull . Mine are in the first year of growth ... I've got about 5 bines coming up and one is an obvious bull shoot with 8" between nodes as apposed to 3"-4" on the others. I'm just letting it ride based on popular opinion .

No it's not too late but geter done. I just cut mine back today at home in North Alabama. I have 10 varieties out at the farm that we cut back last week and it may have been too early. Some of mine, especially Nuggets and Columbus sprout up over night it seems. But those are 3 yrs old and produce like crazy. I'm still brewing with some from last year and thinking for those two varieties I might have enough to last untill harvest time this year. Now I'm hoping the ones I added last year will produce well this year. But all have been cut back to the ground.

I am in Northern Virginia. I have only been growing hops for a few years, but I think cutting plants back to the ground around Mother's Day is a solid plan. During my plants 2nd year I just let them grow. I got decent yield but they set cones very early and they continued to set cones. My plants ended up with a mix of cones that were dried brown, cones that were just right, and cones that were way too green. Last year I cut them back and ended up with a much more consistent flowering and yield.

That's what I went through last year. I plan on paying closer attention this year and harvesting the cones as they are ready even if it means multiple harvest.

I don't know the answer but have the same question. Last year, I did NOT cut back the first growth because I thought it was too late (early May) and I regretted it later when I did not get the big yield of Chinook hops I expected for a 3 year old plant. This year, I've already cut back the first shoots, but am wondering when to stop cutting them back.
Cutting the bull shoots once is enough. Once you have a few growing up your “trellis“ trim back unnecessary growth. So energy goes where you want it.
Due to issues the past three years my little hop yard went to ****, but I’d look at the potential yield anyway… the plants didn’t seem to mind.

After I harvest my hops in the Fall cutting down the bines, the crowns will shoot up a couple new ones still. Hops are very resilient, I definitely don't think it's too late to cut them back now, you will get new bines.

Back