Corn Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaneoco1981

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am brewing today 25 gallons and the recipe I am using calls for 6 oz of corn sugar. I went to the store (meijer if you know it or care) to buy some and it wasn't with the rest of the sugar. It had corn syrup, raw sugar, and every other kind of sugar under the sun, but no corn sugar. Does anyone know where I might be able to find some? Secondly, I did buy some corn syrup to use if you guys say it's ok. Is it ok, or will it leave an off flavor in my beer? I need to get this right the first time as this beer will be used for my sister's wedding toast instead of champagne. Any thoughts?

Corn sugar is dextrose. In those small quantities over the whole batch, you could substitute plain table sugar instead.

Was the 6 oz for bottling or in the boil?

Corn sugar (dextrose) is at your LHBS. You can use table sugar (sucrose) if you can't get the other. The difference is very small as far as the yeast is concerned. Off-the-shelf corn syrup has other stuff in it (look at the label) and should be avoided. The pure stuff is probably only available through a brew supplier (retail or online).

What is the sugar for? Part of the recipe or used for priming? Is it 6oz for the ENTIRE 25 gallons, or is it 6oz per 5 gallon batch?

6oz of sugar in a 5 gallon batch (as part of the recipe) is tiny. It's almost non-existent in a 25 gallon batch.

I would just weigh out 6oz of table sugar and use that. It won't produce any off flavors, nor will it significantly dry out your beer at those quantities.

My understanding was in the boil. That's what I was going to do was substitute regular table sugar. But I was out getting propane refilled, so I figured I might as well get some corn sugar since the recipe called for it.

Here is the recipe. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/wild-dog-days-summer-ale-80530/

My thinking was 6 oz of corn sugar would be to much for priming and give me bottle bombs.

k, yup, it is in the boil. It's probably just to dry it up a little bit. The DME won't fully ferment due to the longer chain sugars, but the corn (or table) sugar is easier for the yeast to eat (and will fully ferment). Basically, the sugar will bump the ABV up a tiny bit and not add too much body. Bottom line, table sugar will work fine.

The brewer mentioned the priming sugar later in his post, so I'm sure this is part of the recipe.

Latest posts

Back