Cooling the wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickel23

Reaction score
When extract brewing, can you add cold water to the wort to lessen the cooling time before getting it in the primary? I have spoken to someone that does it with 2 gallon batches (mr beer). I wanted to pole the more experienced brewers. What do you think or recommend? I am brewing 3 different 5 gallon batches next week.

I top off with distilled water, so I suppose you could still some of that in the fridge beforehand. Although, I've heard that adding cold water doesn't really help as much as you'd think it would. I would steer clear of adding tap water, could get an infection that way.

Yes you could- but.............

I've tried it. It sounds like it would work, but it doesn't really get cool enough. Then, you've got 5 gallons of too-warm wort instead of 2!

But what does work is this- chill the boil kettle so the wort is under 100 degrees (in an ice bath in the sink). THEN add the cold water. Bam- 65 degrees and perfect for pitching the yeast.

I top off with distilled water, so I suppose you could still some of that in the fridge beforehand.

How much do u use? There aren't any minerals or nutrients in distilled water. Those are important for the yeasties to do their job. How have ur ferments been?

But what does work is this- chill the boil kettle so the wort is under 100 degrees (in an ice bath in the sink). THEN add the cold water. Bam- 65 degrees and perfect for pitching the yeast.

THIS is exactly what I do. Although I think I got the idea from you in a previous thread.

I've also read about people sanitizing plastic containers (sour cream containers for example) and then putting boiled water in them, freezing them and putting the ice blocks right into the wort. Theres even a video on youtube of some guys doing that and stirring it with a degassing wand and a power drill. That seems to work wonders too.

Pratzie said:
There aren't any minerals or nutrients in distilled water. Those are important for the yeasties to do their job. How have ur ferments been?

Extract contains all the minerals from the original mash so distilled or RO water is preferable on an extract batch. Otherwise you are doubling up on the minerals, which could affect the flavor.

Extract contains all the minerals from the original mash so distilled or RO water is preferable on an extract batch. Otherwise you are doubling up on the minerals, which could affect the flavor.

I never knew that. I've read in a lot of places from a lot of reputable and experienced sources that it wasn't good to use. Interesting.

How much do u use? There aren't any minerals or nutrients in distilled water. Those are important for the yeasties to do their job. How have ur ferments been?

I do partial boils. I start with 1.5 gallons of tap and 2 gallons of filtered RO water in my boil. I typically top off with 2 gallons of distilled. I've never had a problem with fermentation, there are enough minerals in the tap water + RO water + LME to satisfy the yeasties. The worst beer I ever made was the one with 100% tap water.

Last batch I made I added salt to the ice water, amazing how much faster it cooled the wort down.
The coolling power of salt in ice water also passed the 'MythBuster' test, the salt allows the water to reach a lower them and holds the temp better, or some such thing.

Try it, it works.
It's also good to use in your portable cooler when you have cans/bottles in there.

Back