Control panel help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for reading, and any possible input.

Trying to build my control panel, and am almost finished but running into problems.

I used the first picture as my guide but swapped out pids (will update with correct models shortly)

The problem I'm having is that when I turn the main power on the HLT and BK pids both show firing or active lights when the switch is in the off position.

I'm not sure if this is switch, pid, or ssr problem and am banging my head against the wall.

Warning attachment overload. I can take more specific pictures in morning if needed.

Thanks again

Attachments

• 20220616_124446.jpg
    20220616_124446.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220616_194605.jpg
    20220616_194605.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220616_194718.jpg
    20220616_194718.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220616_194724.jpg
    20220616_194724.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220616_194730.jpg
    20220616_194730.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220616_194742.jpg
    20220616_194742.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
The element selector switch controls the contactors that actually determine whether power is available to the elements. It does not affect the PIDs at all. This means that if the element selector switch is in the off (center) position, no power can go to either element, even if the PIDs are calling for power. So what you are seeing is expected behavior.

Brew on :mug:

The element selector switch controls the contactors that actually determine whether power is available to the elements. It does not affect the PIDs at all. This means that if the element selector switch is in the off (center) position, no power can go to either element, even if the PIDs are calling for power. So what you are seeing is expected behavior.

Thank you!

But when I turn the BK element on, and turn to 100% I'm not getting any heat from the elements (brand new elements)

I'm getting 120v on each side of element, left it on for 20+ minutes no temp change

It's hard to see what's actually going on in the wiring dept. You have 120v on each side of the element, now measure one side of the element to the other side. If it comes to zero volts, try the same for the SSR. I have a feeling you wired the same phase to both sides somewhere.

edit: Something else to check is that the SSRs are wired with correct polarity to the PID.

It's hard to see what's actually going on in the wiring dept. You have 120v on each side of the element, now measure one side of the element to the other side. If it comes to zero volts, try the same for the SSR. I have a feeling you wired the same phase to both sides somewhere.

edit: Something else to check is that the SSRs are wired with correct polarity to the PID.
Yes. OP needs to measure the voltage between the element terminals. Or, you can measure the black wire terminal on the output side of the element contactor, and the output terminal of the SSR.

The polarity of the control signals to the SSRs appears to be correct. Blue wires connect the + SSR output on the DPSRs to the + inputs on the SSRs, and likewise red wires connect - to -.

OP, have you double checked that the SSR control wires are not reversed between the two SSRs? Can't follow the wires in the photos well enough to determine this.

I noticed that you did not implement the "Element Firing Lamps" shown in the design. That is unfortunate, as these would help diagnose your current issue. It's the reason that they are in the design, as they will tell you if the element is actually getting power or not. They will also alert you in the case of an SSR latched (stuck) in the "ON" mode, which is the most common SSR failure mode (often temporary due to overheating of the SSR.)

Just a couple very simple troubleshooting points. When you switch the element selector from the center position to the left or right, do you hear the contactors getting pulled in? Should be a chunk, chunk sound.

When you're controller is attempting to fire, are you seeing the small red LED lighting on the SSR?

Just a couple very simple troubleshooting points. When you switch the element selector from the center position to the left or right, do you hear the contactors getting pulled in? Should be a chunk, chunk sound.

When you're controller is attempting to fire, are you seeing the small red LED lighting on the SSR?
I'm thinking that the contactors are working, as OP wouldn't measure any voltage at the elements if they weren't working.

Back