Cold Crash followed by priming advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFreeman

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So basically I am working on my 2nd batch. I have fermented a 12L batch at 19C for around 15 days.

I have now cold crashed my beer for about 24hrs. I used the below website to calculate the priming sugar, but the paragraph in the link states that if cold crashing, less sugar should be used. Does this apply also to me since I have only cold crash for 1 day at 5C.

I am not expert but I believe 40g is quite low for a 12L batch

upload_2018-9-8_13-4-26.png

vs

upload_2018-9-8_13-5-39.png

No- use the highest temperature the beer reached during/after fermentation in your calculations. Cold crashing doesn't create more (or less) dissolved CO2.

Cold refrigeration will allow better CO2 diffusion into your beer. Warm temps will pull gas from solution.
Carbon dioxide diffuses twice as much volume into water at or near freezing than it does near 20C.

...but ... if you want to get a good bottle carbonation the yeast has to be healthy near comfortable temperatures. If you can find a spot near 18-20C for a few weeks after properly priming, your beer should safely carbonate. Just be sure to help things along by refrigerating a few samples that are ready prior to drinking them.
Is it properly carbonated to your tastes ...?
Well, you're the judge and you'll find out.

Three grams of sucrose per 12 US fluid ounces is generally safe in my opinion. I will save and re-use commercially bought beer bottles and recap them a few times. Many others here do as well.

No- use the highest temperature the beer reached during/after fermentation in your calculations. Cold crashing doesn't create more (or less) dissolved CO2.
Thanks, will do. So around 70g for 12L :)

Cold refrigeration will allow better CO2 diffusion into your beer. Warm temps will pull gas from solution.
Carbon dioxide diffuses twice as much volume into water at or near freezing than it does near 20C.

...but ... if you want to get a good bottle carbonation the yeast has to be healthy near comfortable temperatures. If you can find a spot near 18-20C for a few weeks after properly priming, your beer should safely carbonate. Just be sure to help things along by refrigerating a few samples that are ready prior to drinking them.
Is it properly carbonated to your tastes ...?
Well, you're the judge and you'll find out.

Three grams of sucrose per 12 US fluid ounces is generally safe in my opinion. I will save and re-use commercially bought beer bottles and recap them a few times. Many others here do as well.
Yes I will prime at 19C. My question was mainly regarding priming sugar amount after cold crashing for a day.

Back