Climate Change May Affect Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moderator note: If the discussion turns to a debate on climate change, this thread will be moved to the "Debate" forum, where it will only be available to Supporting Members.

doug293cz
HBT Moderator

I read that article and it mentioned changes in the climate affecting hop growing and it's affect on the bitter quality.

I wonder sometimes if this is a story like coffee - first it's bad to drink it then the next article it's good for you.

It might actuality improve, they say climate change makes the alpha acids go down, that means brewers need to add more hops, and that means we actually will get more nice hop flavors!

I could drink Carlo Rossi Paisano all day and be happy with it, but there are a lot of beers I can't stand. And there are a few really cheap beers I can tolerate. I used to drink something called Red Cap Ale, and it was better than water. Can't say that about Bud. I wouldn't say I enjoy Stroh's, but it doesn't make me gag like Miller.

One of my guilty pleasures is refrigerated Paisano in a water glass, with pasta. When I was in college, I went to an Italian restaurant that served chilled red wine with pasta, and I thought it was great. They claimed they made the wine. The name of the restaurant is Puglia. It's in Little Italy.

I like the idea of more flavor to balance hop bitterness. Today I'm using Sabro at 15%. That's pretty dang high.

I wonder sometimes if this is a story like coffee - first it's bad to drink it then the next article it's good for you.
This is one of my favorite references, actually! IIRC, starting in the 80s, coffee caused cancer... then it didn't... then it caused cancer again... then it didn't again... and now it's supposed to reduce your risk of Parkinson's! 🤣

not worried about it. Nature has it's ways with ebbs and flows. although hops are now more breed into varieties the modified genes may not like some things. but the good ol original strains been around for a very long time. I am sure they will breed modified strains for more drought resistant, more oil production etc.

i mean you aren't getting ditch weed anymore. and the legalization of it has been short. but someone was selectively breed and genetically modifying strains all these years into the one hitter quitter that is around today.

During last year's drought in the UK, I looked at satellite images of the UK and decided that the "green and pleasant land" looked a lot like the Central Valley in California in August and immediately bought 5lbs each of EKGs and Fuggles.

Maybe I'm over reacting, but I do know that my buddies that grow wine grapes in Oregon are trying hard to maintain their quality with French grapes and planting Italian grapes as a backup plan. The guys down by the California border are whole hog on Italian grapes. They have zero French acreage at this point.

When it comes to looking at global warming, my preferred barometer isn't what farmers say, but rather what they're planting. Anyone that wants to stay farming is planting for climate change.

Rejoice, Scotland! You may soon be sending hops south and dry hopping with abandon! ;)

Latest posts

Back