Clarifying homebrew beer question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcross

Reaction score
Okay so my cousin told me once the beer was done fermenting to siphon the beer into a carboy and let it sit for a week to settle and clarify, so i done so and added some isinglass finings as well to help the process along and to have less sediment. So i was told to leave it for a week, However tomorrow would be one week and it does not look any clearer... Should i continue to bottle tomorrow or leave it for awhile longer and hope it clears up! Any opinions on the matter are appreciated and welcomed! Thank you!

You can skip the siphoning next time. If you live in a cold area, just set the carboy out on the porch or in the garage and the cold temps will help the yeast settle out. Or you could just bottle it before it clears, you'll just have to be careful when your pour the beer into a glass that you don't churn up the sediment that will be in the bottom of the bottle.

gelatin is a great clarifier. you can just dump some bloomed gelatin right into the primary fermenter. give it a day or two, and it should be much more clear without totally dropping out the yeast you need for priming.

Should i continue to bottle tomorrow or leave it for awhile longer and hope it clears up! Any opinions on the matter are appreciated and welcomed! Thank you!

go ahead and bottle. it will clear up with time in the fridge, after letting it properly carbonate, that is.

My process (found it here somewhere) for blooming gelatin to add to beer for clarification (5g batch that is done with primary fermentation):

1. Add about 2tsp Knox unflavored gelatin to 1/2c cold water
1a. Allow to bloom for about 2 minutes
2. Heat in the microwave in short 15 second bursts, stirring after every 15 seconds until it reaches 150 degrees and it's clear, no lumps (I use my digital stick thermometer to stir it)
3. Add to fermenter/keg. No need to chill before adding, it won't hurt your beer. You should see good results within a few days. If added to the keg instead of the primary fermenter, you will get more gunk in the first few pints, but after those it should pour clear.

Last edited:
Something that’s not mentioned too much Is that you should still use gelatin if bottling. It’ll compact the trub created by secondary fermentation (or bottle conditioning). It’ll make the gunk stick to bottom of bottle and will be less likely to kick it up when handling bottles.

gelatin is a great clarifier. you can just dump some bloomed gelatin right into the primary fermenter. give it a day or two, and it should be much more clear without totally dropping out the yeast you need for priming.
So when do you add the bloomed gelatin? Is it after the 7-10 day period of primary fermentation, then let sit in the cold for 2-3 days then siphon into secondary fermenter?

So when do you add the bloomed gelatin? Is it after the 7-10 day period of primary fermentation, then let sit in the cold for 2-3 days then siphon into secondary fermenter?
You can add gelatin to your primary once fermentation is complete, cold crash and bottle, or add to your bottling bucket when you bottle. Either should work, just make sure that you bloom, then melt the gelatin by heating it to 150 degrees f.
Next time you could probably skip the secondary and just give it an extra week in your primary fermenter if you like.

Is this beer being stored cold? Using gelatine won't really have a effect until it gets below 50 degrees.

I disagree. Gelatin will work to help clear a beer at any temperature. The reason a lot of people add it to cold beer is to also clear the beer of chill haze. Chill haze will not appear until the beer is below about 35 F, so if you don't chill the beer that cold, you will not remove the haze. The haze needs to be present for gelatin to clear it.

Chill haze forms at about 35 F with cooling beer, but will not dissipate until the beer gets back above about 50 F, so you could clear beer of chill haze at around 50 F provided you have previously cooled it enough to for the haze in the first place.

You can add gelatin to your primary once fermentation is complete, cold crash and bottle, or add to your bottling bucket when you bottle. Either should work, just make sure that you bloom, then melt the gelatin by heating it to 150 degrees f.
Next time you could probably skip the secondary and just give it an extra week in your primary fermenter if you like.
Do yo need to have it at exactly 150 degrees? I do not have a digital thermometer, just a glass thermometer that goes up to 55 degrees Celsius is there a work around for this if you don't have a digital thermometer?

Do yo need to have it at exactly 150 degrees? I do not have a digital thermometer, just a glass thermometer that goes up to 55 degrees Celsius is there a work around for this if you don't have a digital thermometer?
warm enough to dissolve, but not warm enough to make jello.

if you want to do the math, you can add x amount of tap water to x amount of boiling to get to the desired temp.

I don't think he posts any longer but Brewing Viking does a nice job demonstrating how to use gelatin to clarify your beer. When I do clarify, I do it this way.
~5 minute video worth your time.

warm enough to dissolve, but not warm enough to make jello.

if you want to do the math, you can add x amount of tap water to x amount of boiling to get to the desired temp.
I think i might pick up a cheap digital thermometer 🤣 as i have no idea on how to calculate a desired temp! Thanks for the help cheer dude

Thanks everyone for answering my questions and helping me grow as and inexperienced brewer you guys are the bomb much appreciated friend's! Happy brewing!

I think i might pick up a cheap digital thermometer 🤣 as i have no idea on how to calculate a desired temp! Thanks for the help cheer dude
well, 1/2 a cup of boiling water should be at 212F. add that to a half a cup of room temp 70F. you should end up with a full cup of 141F water, close enough to get the gelatin dissolved.

well, 1/2 a cup of boiling water should be at 212F. add that to a half a cup of room temp 70F. you should end up with a full cup of 141F water, close enough to get the gelatin dissolved.

Let's also take in to account elevation. At my elevation water boils at 203 degrees fahrenheit but great thread lots of info I had no idea about gelatin!

No, here is what I do. Take one of those powdered gelatin packets and pour it in 8 oz of cold water. It will bloom into a paste of hydrated gelatin. Microwave your bowl until that paste melts into a clear liquid. If it hits a boil toss it and start over. I don’t bother with a thermometer for this it’s pretty apparent and forgiving a process.

So when you add the gelatin after fermenting, do you stir it into your brew or just poor? I feel like it would be a bad idea to stir it! Unless you transfer it to the carboy, then add the gelatin, stir and cold crash? Let it sit for a week for sediment to fallout then proceed to bottle?

I remember reading a thread where a scientist type said it does not hurt to boil the gelatin. This is the method I've used for the last five years and it works every time. I will bring about 2 fingers worth ( high tech measurement that was derived from an actual measurement that I've forgotten) of filtered water to a boil in a pint jar with the lid on very loose. I learned way back you need some thing in the water to get the boil started I use a mini wooden spoon. If you try to just boil the water in the microwave it will super heat and blow the lid of and the door open on the microwave. The boil is to remove oxygen and to sanitize the jar and lid. I let that cool to under 150 then add a 7 gram packet of knox gelatin and stir to try and dissolve the gelatin. Let it set minimum 15 minutes but usually half hour. I believe the stirring introduces oxygen into solution ( think of people stirring their wort to get oxygen into it for yeast usage ), so I will slowly heat in the microwave and bring to a boil. you need to be ready to kill power as the bubbles jump up to the lid pretty quick and if you don't stop it it will blow the top off. Then I will kick it back on a couple more times at about 10 seconds a pop or so to hit that boil a few times. it totally dissolves the gelatin and take oxygen out that would have been introduced during stirring. I usually have started the cold crash process in the morning and temp is in the 30"s or low 40's, take the hot gelatin and dump it in. I keg the next day, I don't see the point of waiting and additional 24 hours if you are racking with an auto siphon as you will likely pick up stuff you want to drop in the keg anyway ( if you use conical then yes waiting would be worth it to rack cleaner beer ). The gelatin is still present in the keg and will drop clear within 1-3 days. Double or triple volumes of water and gelatin as needed for larger volumes of beer. I have started doing gelatin in everything now ( last 2 years )including dark beer with the exception of NEIPA's. I believe it brings the beer's to maturation much quicker. Usually I would say that a beer is close to holding and keeping its flavor profile by 10-14 days until the keg is gone. Without gelatin the beer will continue to change slightly for maybe 6 weeks if it lasts that long. I'm sure you have heard the best beers are the last one's out of the keg, so why not try to bring that quality much sooner for the whole keg is my thought.

It could take longer to carbonate if you use gelatin, a friend of mine usually do it and have this issue. Recirculation during the mash, whirflock, whirlpool, a flocculent yeast strain and cold crash, should be enough in the most cases.

So when you add the gelatin after fermenting, do you stir it into your brew or just poor? I feel like it would be a bad idea to stir it! Unless you transfer it to the carboy, then add the gelatin, stir and cold crash? Let it sit for a week for sediment to fallout then proceed to bottle?
i just pour. it seems to work best as it naturally settles through the beer. stirring would mess that up a bit.

I add to my keg when I package then chill down to serving temp on gas for a week or two. If your bottling you could add to your bottling bucket or like stated above just let it diffuse into your fermenter when you cold crash. I never used gelatin when I bottled so I have no experience there.

I use about half a teaspoon for a 5 gallon batch. No need to use a lot.

I let it bloom in an ounce of water for about 20 minutes, then add it to hot water (about 160/170F), stir and then add it to the fermenter (without stirring). I'm not sure how it works, but I think that by adding it hot, the gelatin mixture will form a layer at the top of the beer, and then as it sinks (over time) clears the beer.

I don't use gelatin anymore. A few years ago I started dabbling with low oxygen brewing and learned about BrewTan B, a tannic acid that adds shelf stability for commercial products. However, another use of it, when combined with whrifloc gives you crystal clear wort after chilling post boil as the two combine to pull all proteins out of the beer. I use a gram in the mash and 3/4 of gram in the boil (recommended if you have a copper chiller) at 15 mins...then you need to wait 5 minutes and then add whirlfloc. As you can see in the two pics, the first is a Festbier sample after cold crashing the carboy and the 2nd pic is 6 gallons of German pils that is so clear post chill that it looks like there is nothing in there but trub. Clear wort in the kettle = clear wort after cold crashing post fermentation = clear beer in the keg. Not many places sell BrewTan B, I buy from William's Brewing.

Attachments

• fest.jpg
    fest.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 56
  • pilswort.jpg
    pilswort.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 58
I'd love to see a beer made with that BrewTan B, mate. I've seen numerous tests where the clear wort = clear beer argument was lost, but that's on another level...

Whirlfloc and Irish Moss (carrageenan), isenglass (collagen), gelatin, BrewTan B (gallotannin), Clarity Ferm (endoprotease), and PVPP (don't ask) are all useful fining agents for homebrew. Here's the science.

I don't think he posts any longer but Brewing Viking does a nice job demonstrating how to use gelatin to clarify your beer. When I do clarify, I do it this way.
~5 minute video worth your time.

Someone help me understand the logic here. He either misspeaks or I misunderstand. He boils the water he intends to bloom the gelatin in advance to remove oxygen. Once he finishes the gelatin/water mixture and adds to his "fermenter", he states to purge off the CO2 and agitate it to mix the gelatin with the beer. Is he actually doing this in a fermenter or in a pressurized, carbonated keg? Maybe he's using a pressurized fermenter, but if you follow his video, you're going to introduce a bunch of oxygen into uncarbonated beer, which makes his boiling of the water in advance a complete waste of time.

I currently have 5 gallons fermenting and plan to cold crash, add gelatin, then transfer to a keg after 24 hours. I plan to mix the gelatin and simply pour into the fermenter and reinsert my airlock to minimize oxygen exposure.

I am a newbie and my first brew cleared remarkably well in the bottle after 2 weeks of conditioning and 2 weeks in the fridge. I personally don’t care about cloudy beer as long as it’s delivering all of the flavor components, but that’s just me!

Yeah I have never stirred in the gelatin either. Just pour it in. Takes seconds.

And yes, clear beer is just looks (for the most part), but if you've done a few hundred litres like most of us on here you tend to want to improve the small things - like clarity. I now fine all my beers. After fermentation I'll cold crash and leave it there for a few weeks, then add gelatin and leave it for another week or two and then I'll continue with the process.

I've only recently started using gelatin. Mostly for light and amber colored beers. The darker beers I have not bothered with yet. Mostly I am concerned with sediment or cloudiness of suspended whatever that should have dropped into the trub cake but did not and worried about it affecting flavor. I've had a couple beers that tasted "silty" and I can only attribute that to the cloudiness.

I'm adding gelatin to the keg. After I cold crash the fermenter I pour off a cup of beer and add a pack of gelatin. microwave in bursts until 150 and it's all dissolved good. keg the beer and pour the gelatin in. seal and purge keg and shake it good.

Do I even have to shake the keg to mix up the gelatin or does the gelatin naturally come to the top of the keg and then slowly "fall" to the bottom as it collects sediment?

Do I even have to shake the keg to mix up the gelatin or does the gelatin naturally come to the top of the keg and then slowly "fall" to the bottom as it collects sediment?

I wouldn't shake. The gelatin, after being poured in gently, starts at the top and slowly works its way down, clearing the beer. Homogenizing it with the beer right away would be counterproductive.

I've only recently started using gelatin. Mostly for light and amber colored beers. The darker beers I have not bothered with yet. Mostly I am concerned with sediment or cloudiness of suspended whatever that should have dropped into the trub cake but did not and worried about it affecting flavor. I've had a couple beers that tasted "silty" and I can only attribute that to the cloudiness.

I'm adding gelatin to the keg. After I cold crash the fermenter I pour off a cup of beer and add a pack of gelatin. microwave in bursts until 150 and it's all dissolved good. keg the beer and pour the gelatin in. seal and purge keg and shake it good.

I'm going to do my first attempt at gelatin for clarification with ale currently in my fermenter. I'm curious about you using the actual beer as the liquid to dissolve your gelatin. I considered this myself, but was concerned that by nuking beer to get it to 150/160F, I'd be skunking it, then adding an off-flavor cup into my beer, whereas using water won't add any off-flavors. It sounds like you've used your method a time or two. Have you not had any issue with off-flavors from microwaving your beer?

I considered this myself, but was concerned that by nuking beer to get it to 150/160F, I'd be skunking it,

Skunking is caused by radiation at/near the UV part of the spectrum. Microwaves are nowhere near that. I don't really know if microwaves could cause other issues, but they shouldn't skunk the beer.

ETA: the heat wouldn't be great for the beer that gets microwaved, i.e. it would accelerate staling (maybe 2-3 times faster for each 10 degrees celcius of increase, compounding). OTOH it would only be for a short period of time and for a small amount of the beer.

Last edited:
Back