Cider Question, Help is Appreciated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proxxy3813

Reaction score
Threw together a 10 gallon batch of cider the other day and separated it into 2 buckets. All I had on hand was a simple food grade 5 gallon bucket and a 6 gallon bucket. I'm using 1 1/2 packages of Lavin Ec-1118 per bucket which started going almost immediately (added the yeast when the mix was ~105 F) after about 3 days the 6gallon buckets airlock is perking at around once per minute, where the smaller buckets airlock is perking x10 faster. Is it because their is more empty space in the larger bucket, could it already be finished (I doubt this highly), or has my process stalled? And if there is a problem how do I remedy it?

-All help is greatly appreciated

Buckets are notoriously hard to seal. Also, airlock activity is not a measure of fermentation activity. The headspace, combined with bucket seals, will result in different airlock activity. The only measure of fermentation is a gravity reading. I'd say let it sit for another week or so, then take a gravity reading to determine if you are finished.

If your fermentation is stalled, you can add more yeast, swirl your fermenter to mix up the settled yeast, or warm it slightly.

I moved the batch to a 5 gallon carboy added some more brown sugar and another package of yeast, it's been going steady since then. Forgot to update, but thank you guys for the advice.

Back