Chocolate malt or chocolate wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pendulum

Reaction score
I know this should probably be in the extract section but I figured all grain brewers would know the grains a bit better.

So I'm gonna be starting my spring and summer time beers soon and one that I wanna try is a Dunkelweizen. I had one recently that had a bit of a chocolatety touch to it. It was almost like drinking a banana split. I'm looking to replicate that.

My question is, should I use chocolate malt or chocolate wheat? And how much should I use?

My recipe looks like this so far

5 Gallon Batch
3 Gallon Boil size

6 lbs Maillard Malts Wheat LME (65% wheat 35% pale malt)
1 lb Fermenter's Favorite Briess Wheat DME

1 lbs Dark Munich
0.5 lbs CaraMunich I
0.5 lbs Flaked Oats
0.25 lbs Carafa I
??? lbs Chocolate malt or Chocolate wheat

1 oz Tettnang hop (60 min)

Fermenting with Wyeast 3068. Gonna ferment at 72-73. I wanna draw out some good banana esters from this yeast.

Any tips on working with chocolate malt or chocolate wheat for this beer? Haven't worked with either so I'm not sure how much chocolate flavor it'll bring. I'm not looking for a dominant chocolate flavor, just enough to be noticeable and compliment the banana esters.

Thanks!

Neither really gives a chocolate flavor, just some color and roastiness. I wouldn't really think it would be an appropriate addition to a dunkel. If you use it, I'd use only a few oz for a bit of color. The roast flavor can really overwhelm malt flavors. But that's just my take on it.

I'd maybe use more Munich. You will probably want to do this as a partial mash, not just steep, since the Munich has enough DP to self convert.

The roasted malts produced by different malters are often very different even when bearing the same name. Thus for more chocolate/less roast find a lightly roasted chocolate malt. In small quantities wether it's barley or wheat isn't going to matter.

While not trying to discourage your experimentation with choc. malt in the proposed banana split beer I'd suggest that cocoa nibs in a fairly small dosing might be your best bet in conjunction with a more traditional use of dark malt in a dunkel.

Good luck!

Back