Changing the boil size.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plan9

Reaction score
I'm going to step up from stove top boiling to an outdoor cooker.
Most extract kits call for boiling 1-2 gallons, and then topping it off with plain water in the fermentor. If I do a 3-4 gallon boil, do I need to adjust the kit, or should it be about the same?

There are a few things you need to consider. First off, if you are using steeping grains you still want to steep them in 1.5 gallons rather than the full boil volume. Steeping in too much water can lead to tannin extraction. My process here is to steep in 1.5 gallons, then add the rest of my water for boiling to get to my total boil volume.

The only ingredient adjustment that you will need to make is hop amounts. The larger your boil, the lower the gravity of your boil, and the higher your hop utilization. I would recommend downloading a trial version of one of the brewing software packages in order to make your adjustments so you still get the desired IBUs.

Jaded speaketh the truth! I was leary on paying for the brewing software at first, but it is worth every penny. Adjustments can be made super easy.

My only suggestion would be to go as big as you can. My beers got significantly better when I started doing extract full boils. In order to finish with 5gal, you'll have to boil 6-7gal, so I'd say get a 10gallon pot. Mine is 9, and could be bigger. Then when you feel like going to All Grain, you'll already have the pot. The only downfall to a big boil is that it's harder to cool, so plan for a chiller in your budget if you go this route.

I would recommend changing the boil times rather than reducing hop amounts. The hop flavour will change, but the IBU's can be adjusted back to the same amount you're used to. I think the fresher hop flavour is better. An alternative to the pay-to-play programs, try this:

http://hbd.org/recipator/

OK, Steep small, adjust hops.
Can do.

I'm working on getting a keg to make a keggle.
I've got all the parts to build a CFC in the garage, left over from some home repairs.
And I've got a couple of homebrew software programs, I just need to get familiar with them.

I think I can do this.
Thanks!

Back