Changed recipe : Will this work ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
I posted this question in another thread but Im not sure if its a "read" thread.

This stout recipe was posted by another member :

Jupiter (Oatmeal) Stout
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: S-05
Yeast Starter: No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.063
Final Gravity: 1.015
IBU: 29
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 33 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 Days
Additional Fermentation: Bottle Conditioned
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 Days
Tasting Notes: Great Oatmeal Stout, Nice and smooth!

Pale 2 Row 9 lbs
Flaked Oats 1.5 lbs
Crystal 77 0.5 lbs
Chocolate Malt 0.5 lbs
Roasted Barley 0.5 lbs
UK Goldings (4.7%) 0.5 oz @ 60 mins
Willamette (5.3%) 0.75 oz @ 60 mins

My brew shop doesn't keep all the ingredients listed so I need to change :
Chocolate for Black Malt - how much will I need ?
Fuggles instead of the hops listed (how much fuggles ?).
S-04 instead of S-05
Crystal Malt will be Caramunich 2

Will this work ?
Can I add cocoa to make a choc stout ?

I'd use 4 ounces of Black Malt. It's harsher than Chocolate.
Fuggle - use the same amount. 1.25 oz. if you are replacing both.
No problem on the yeast, except the FG might be a little higher.
Okay on the Caramunich 2

4 oz. of cocoa powder at 15 minutes would be good.

Hm. Interesting.

First, do not substitute Black Patent malt for Chocolate malt. They are nowhere NEAR the same. If I were you, I'd simply increase the Roasted Barley to a full pound and call it a day.

Second, S-04 is not as attenuative as S-05, and throws more esters. You will probably struggle to get the FG below 1.020. Neither issue is a huge concern in the style.

Third, the amount of Fuggles you'll need to substitute is dependent on the AA% of the Fuggles as compared to the other hops. Simplest way is to figure out your AAUs for the hops specified. Then it's simple arithmetic.

Fourth, I wouldn't worry at all about subbing CaraMunich for the Crystal.

Fifth, I'd omit the cocoa this time round. If you brew it and like it, tweak the next batch.

I do confess that I'd be leery of a store that doesn't stock S-05, midrange Crystal malt and Willamette hops - three of the most popular ingredients in brewing.

Good luck!

Bob

Thanks guys.
Unfortunately the brew shop concerned is one of the only ones we have here. The brewing scene is really small. You're just spoilt ;)

The difference in the Crystal 77 and caramunich probably won't show up in a stout but it will in lighter beers. So don't assume Caramunich and caramel/crystal malts are the same.
Chocolate is way different than Black Patent. I can't believe they don't carry chocolate. S-04 will work fine for the style but again is not a substitute for s05.

other than the black malt everythings looks good. What other dark malts do they have? remeber you can always mail order if need be...

Oh. Sorry. I didn't realize there was only one Johannesburg in the world. But you're right - I should have put two and two together.

Sorry, Bru!

I'll stand on the Black Malt. It certainly isn't the same as chocolate, but it is a common malt in stouts. Boosting the roasted barley to a pound would be excessive.

Not so, David. Roasted Barley is the distinctive flavor of Stout. Black Patent is the distinctive flavor of Porter. While common, it is not appropriate. A half-pound of the stuff stands too great a chance of turning the Stout into a phenolic mouthful of ashes.

My finest Oatmeal Stout was essentially Dry Irish Stout with flaked oats instead of flaked barley. So: three ingredients in the grist. One-dimensional roasted flavors? Yes. But invariably loved by those who tried it.

YMMV.

Bob

Replace the chocolate malt with more roasted barley. A pound of roasted barley is not too much in a 5 gallon batch. I use that much in an oatmeal stout and it's great. I actually prefer to drink it young because the roasted barley is more pronounced.

No problem man.
Possibly one of you can do me a favour - next time you speak to your regular supplier, ask them if they'd ship to SA and if they think customs will be a problem. If not I may as well bring the stuff in - in bulk it hopefully won't cost me too much more.

Oh. Sorry. I didn't realize there was only one Johannesburg in the world. But you're right - I should have put two and two together.

Sorry, Bru!

Back