Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buchking01

Reaction score
Hey! I'm currently brewing 6.5 gallons of kombucha for a small market and I'm still perplexed as to how I should efficiently do the secondary fermentation and bottling.
I was wondering if it would be possible to use 5 gal carboys for secondary fermentation and flavoring? Then just filter the booch into beer bottles or used screwtop glass bottles for selling to consumers. Fliptop bottles are great for small batches and everything but I would be spending hundreds of dollars on those bottles to achieve this.
The only concern I have is if it would be possible to achieve a good fizziness using this method - I'm not sure how carboys can be airtight sealed but I've seen some screwtop carboys and of course the bung rubber airlock.
Any insight or suggestions would be awesome - if you know any other method for secondary fermenting in large quantities that would be greatly appreciated!

I'm looking into second fermenting for raising the alcohol content. LOL but I'll be using carboys (well, little ones to start). As for bottling, how fizzy will it be? You want to make sure your container isn't going to explode. If not very fizzy, what about mason jars? A local kefir place sells their product in mason jars. I get bulk glass from berlin packaging.

I keep my production small, since its only for myself. Usually a gallon at a time in each stage of ferment.
I use a a gallon carboy for my flavoring ferment.

Back