Carbonating a blonde ale in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G2sat2576

Reaction score
I wanted to know how long and at what psi should i carbonate a blonde ale in a keg? I dont want to force carbonate it but wanted to carbonate over a course of 5-7 days. Is there a chart out there or recommendation? Thanks.

Ok, for the record (because that was weird :)) any time external CO2 is used to carbonate a beverage, "forced carbonation" is involved.
Major methods:

- "set and forget": use "chart pressure" (with our favorite carbonation table linked above) and wait a couple of weeks plus a few days for a full five gallon cornelius keg. Most reliable and lowest effort method. 98% of my beers go this route.

- "burst": Apply something like 30 psi for 24 to 30 hours, then dial back to "chart pressure". May be ready in a few days. May also be hella overcarbonated. Seems to be the most mystical of methods. I never use it.

- "shake 'n' bake" aka "rock 'n' roll": use "chart pressure" and agitate the beer in the keg by rocking back and forth. Can carbonate a beer in an afternoon to near-perfect level with zero risk of over-carbonation. Highest effort with almost as reliable an outcome as "set 'n' forget", the difference being folks being lazy in the end ;) I've used it a handful of times successfully.

Cheers!

After the beer is carbonated to satisfaction, do you leave it at the psi it was set at to carbonate it (12 psi) or can I set it now and leave at 5 psi to pour the beer?

Ideally you should always keep the keg at "chart pressure" as described earlier and tune the dispensing system to handle that pressure. Anything else is less worthy, and if you have to lower your CO2 pressure for a decent pour your system needs to be properly tuned...

Cheers!

After the beer is carbonated to satisfaction, do you leave it at the psi it was set at to carbonate it (12 psi) or can I set it now and leave at 5 psi to pour the beer?

If you turn it down, the carbonation will slowly come out of solution and you will eventually be left with beer at whatever carbonation level 5 PSI at your serving temp is.

Why are you turning it down to serve?

Latest posts

Back