Carbonating a blonde ale in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

G2sat2576

Reaction score
I wanted to know how long and at what psi should i carbonate a blonde ale in a keg? I dont want to force carbonate it but wanted to carbonate over a course of 5-7 days. Is there a chart out there or recommendation? Thanks.

Snark_Wolf_Brewing

Snark Wolf Brewing
Reaction score
I wanted to know how long and at what psi should i carbonate a blonde ale in a keg? I dont want to force carbonate it but wanted to carbonate over a course of 5-7 days. Is there a chart out there or recommendation? Thanks.
Ask, and you shall receive....

day_trippr

Moderna Or Bust! :D
Reaction score
Ok, for the record (because that was weird :)) any time external CO2 is used to carbonate a beverage, "forced carbonation" is involved.
Major methods:

- "set and forget": use "chart pressure" (with our favorite carbonation table linked above) and wait a couple of weeks plus a few days for a full five gallon cornelius keg. Most reliable and lowest effort method. 98% of my beers go this route.

- "burst": Apply something like 30 psi for 24 to 30 hours, then dial back to "chart pressure". May be ready in a few days. May also be hella overcarbonated. Seems to be the most mystical of methods. I never use it.

- "shake 'n' bake" aka "rock 'n' roll": use "chart pressure" and agitate the beer in the keg by rocking back and forth. Can carbonate a beer in an afternoon to near-perfect level with zero risk of over-carbonation. Highest effort with almost as reliable an outcome as "set 'n' forget", the difference being folks being lazy in the end ;) I've used it a handful of times successfully.

Cheers!