Carbonate in the jug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheatgerm

Reaction score
For a few years now I’ve purchased a gallon sized glass jug of organic apple juice at Whole Foods each year at the holidays and fermented it right in the jug with a pack of red star. I’d like to give some of these as gifts this year but the bottle carbonating is a mess for such small amounts. I’m wondering if I can just measure out the sugar for the whole gallon, replace the factory cap and carbonate in the jug. Anyone see drawbacks to this? Too leaky? Too much pressure?

I wouldnt pressure up a glass jug, no idea what it can hold and if it will explode. Put it into 2L pop bottles (plastic) and carb in them. They can handle 200-250psi pressure before bursting.

If using 12oz bottles just drop a sugar cube in each one and fill and cap as normal. Autosiphon to bottle filler works well if filling below the level your fermenter is resting at.

As stated above I wouldn’t attempt carbonating in the factory jug as it’s not designed to withstand carbonation pressures. You could potentially be creating a glass grenade.

Thanks guys. I think I’m just gonna buy a few more and do a big batch in the carboy and bottle in the grolsch bottles to give as gifts.

... bottle in the grolsch bottles to give as gifts.
Expensive bottles for single time use.

Also, they may not carbonate or well enough. The stoppers and especially the plastic gaskets they use now seem to be leak prone, not holding pressure.

Back