Caramelization?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundog14

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i saw a YouTube video about baking and Caramelization and it stated that it occurs above 350F. So I checked the Wikipedia about this and it varies with type of sugar and pH. But none seem to be at ~210F(boil).
I think that I have read statements that say Caramelization occurs during a boil and am wondering if this is in fact true .

Maillard reactions occur during the boil and are often colloquially called caramelization since they darken the wort (or a steak, or veggies, or a loaf of baking bread, etc...) and increase "caramelly" flavors. With brewing, they occur much more quickly at higher temps than the boiling point of water and higher concentrations of sugar than most wort contains, so if you really want to "caramelize" your wort with maillard reactions, boiling a couple liters down to a syrup on the side during the boil will make a bigger difference than boiling the entire volume of your wort for two hours instead of one.

However, if you don't believe Maillard reactions happen during the boil, try a five hour boil next time you brew - either starting at a higher volume or topping off to make up for the extra boil-off - and see the difference it makes.

Because Wikipedia will never give incorrect information...

You can caramelize at lower temperatures, it just takes longer. You can render fat at lower temps, but it takes longer. There is a lower limit. Also depends on what you are converting, additions, etc.

Back