Should I add more Fermaid O a month into fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafapre

Reaction score
Relatively new home brewer here. On Sept 25 I started a spiced metheglin mead by following a video from City Steading Brews. My initial gravity reading was exactly the same as theirs at 1.138. I also used a whole packet of Lalvin 71-B, but unlike them, I added 1 teaspoon of Fermaid O 24 hours after pitching (they used yeast hulls right after pitching), and also unlike them I omitted the cinnamon stick, as I was planning on adding it during secondary.

I forgot about it for a while as I had been quite busy during October. Fast forward to tonight, Nov 5th, I decided to finally check where the gravity’s at and was surprised to see it’s still at 1.084. I also tasted some of it and there’s almost no alcohol taste to it (understandably so). I also still see some small bubbles indicating that there might still be some fermentation happening more than a month into primary!

Now, I would like to try to speed things up a little it and was wondering if adding Fermaid O this late in the game would do any harm/good to the brew. I’m not expecting mine will turn out exactly the same as theirs, but as it is right now it is just some very tasty honey water.

Here’s the link to the video I followed:

Appreciate any suggestions!

Ramp up the temperature, rouse the yeast twice a day without opening the fermenter.

That's what you can do.

Nutrients this late will likely ruin the mead.

What you could also do is add a more sturdy yeast like cbc1, but this is kind of the last resort. Try rousing and higher temperature first.

Back