Fermenting Juice in bottle - what airlock to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalaloch

Reaction score
I’m making hard cider (Ed Wort Recipe) but I’m only doing 1 gallon. I am going to ferment it in the apple juice bottle. It is a big mouth lid opening and none of the airlocks I have will fit. I saw a YouTube video (PawPaw) where he barely unscrews the lids so Co2 can escape. I’m wondering if this is effective to let Co2 escape and keep buggers out, I think it will be, ok but also wondered if it would allow oxygen back in (once done fermenting)… I have about 2” of headspace.

I know a lot of people mention sanitized aluminum foil as a lid for something like this, but isn’t that the same idea as a slightly loose lid? It looks like it only needs to ferment for 4 weeks.

Thanks all!

Also does fermenting Hard Cider create Krausen (or whatever it is called where it foams up and out of the carboy?)

When I first started making cider I just poured out enough juice to make room for fermentation, added yeast then put the cap back loose enough for CO2 to escape. Never had a problem. Once it was done I'd tighten the lid then put it in the fridge to clear then decant and drink. The edwort recipe is great.

Just barely cracking the seal should work just fine, and there should be no krausen, just a small collection of tiny white bubbles that quickly dissipate.

You can also purchase the grommets that go in fermentation bucket lids, drill a hole in the lid, install the grommet and add your bubbler. I have done this. The advantage is that you can see the action from across the room, and get a little auditory stimulation as well. 😁

http://www.alternativebeverage.com/

i used to heat a steak knife and cut/ melt a small groove in each side of the mouth opening to create an air release. it always worked very well.

I just put a large balloon at the opening of the bottle, then use a niddle to make very small hole while the balloon's skin is still thick, when the balloon inflates, it lets the CO2 to get out via the hole and because the pressure is higher in the balloon it doesn't let oxygen to get in at all.

I just put a large balloon at the opening of the bottle, then use a niddle to make very small hole while the balloon's skin is still thick, when the balloon inflates, it lets the CO2 to get out via the hole and because the pressure is higher in the balloon it doesn't let oxygen to get in at all.
Ok, I see that. I used to just burp my balloon now and then, but I was using a large party balloon.
Once after reusing the same balloon a couple times, it burst about 3 o’clock in the morning. I think I elevated about 6” straight up off the bed! 🤣

Ok, I see that. I used to just burp my balloon now and then, but I was using a large party balloon.
Once after reusing the same balloon a couple times, it burst about 3 o’clock in the morning. I think I elevated about 6” straight up off the bed! 🤣
lul, the small hole is the most important part of this lock.
I'm about to ferment some raisins for my grow room soon and this method never failed.

After the balloon bomb, I am strictly a blow-off or bubbler from now on. I just started a juice wine in a gallon jug today with a No. 8 stpper and S-bubbler; past the age of living dangerously! 😁

With my first go in the jug, I poured a pint to make sure I liked the juice. Figured this would be a good amount of headspace too. Dumped some brown sugar, yeast nutrient and yeast.
Drilled a hole in the cap, epoxied a S airlock and filled it with some starsan.

Then I purchased an appropriately stopper for the jugs that I used alot. Taped them down because they were kinda popping up every once in awhile with electrical tape.

You can also purchase the grommets that go in fermentation bucket lids, drill a hole in the lid, install the grommet and add your bubbler. I have done this.
I have done this too. Even drilled two holes in one cap to make a krausen catcher. But it is kinda weird that I have about a half a dozen one gallon fermenters lying around even though I never make one gallon batches.

I recently acquired about a dozen one gallon glass jugs from a friend. I like using them for my filtered water prior to brew day, but I have carboy stoppers that fit right in. It’s great for trying out different juices from the store. I can get a half gallon of juice and add the sugar without having to take any out. Currently trying out a Cranberry/Black Cherry.

It is much simpler to do your primary fermentation in a food grade bucket. For a 1-gallon batch, use a 2-gallon bucket. Cover it with a dish towel. No danger of foam overflowing. During the initial fermentation, the yeast need oxygen. It also makes it easy to stir twice a day, which you should do for the first few days.

Once fermentation is nearly finished (SG below 1.010), then rack it into a carboy and put on an airlock.

I’m making hard cider (Ed Wort Recipe) but I’m only doing 1 gallon. I am going to ferment it in the apple juice bottle. It is a big mouth lid opening and none of the airlocks I have will fit. I saw a YouTube video (PawPaw) where he barely unscrews the lids so Co2 can escape. I’m wondering if this is effective to let Co2 escape and keep buggers out, I think it will be, ok but also wondered if it would allow oxygen back in (once done fermenting)… I have about 2” of headspace.

I know a lot of people mention sanitized aluminum foil as a lid for something like this, but isn’t that the same idea as a slightly loose lid? It looks like it only needs to ferment for 4 weeks.

Thanks all!
I drill a hole in the cap for a grommet and for a standard airlock. I keep several drilled caps to replace the caps on new bottles for each new ferment. Sanitised off course. :)

You can also purchase the grommets that go in fermentation bucket lids, drill a hole in the lid, install the grommet and add your bubbler. I have done this. The advantage is that you can see the action from across the room, and get a little auditory stimulation as well. 😁

http://www.alternativebeverage.com/
I didn't bother with the grommets, just drilled a hole barely large enough for my bubbler, spritzed with star-san when I pushed it in.

Back