Can I mix 2 different yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i pitched some lalvin 1118 into a 1.025 wort after safale05 took it from 1.103 to 1.025. i split batch and added new yeast to half with some dextrose. sitting in room at about 64' for 24 hours and nothing so far.

the other half, just safale05, is carbing up naturally in another gallon jar and i heard the pressure releasing from the cap this morning so i taped it up. hope it doesn't blow. putting it in an empty keg for safety.

next experiment will be to blend some fridged wort and mix it with some sour dregs im going to try and revive and see what happens.

ein prosit.

the other half, just safale05, is carbing up naturally in another gallon jar and i heard the pressure releasing from the cap this morning so i taped it up. hope it doesn't blow. putting it in an empty keg for safety.
I'm not aware of gallon jars that are good for carbonation pressure. Is yours good for it?

You can always mix beer yeasts, they all play nice together. It's just harder to get consistent results in a commercial environment because the balance will shift from brew to brew if you're re-using yeast, so lots of breweries avoid it.

Some wine yeasts are killer yeasts that will kill off other strains.

On our scale it's not hard to buy a couple packs of yeast and blend, and it can produce some awesome results.

I just pulled three yeasts (I have frozen stocks) and am going to be mixing Wyeast 3711, Wyeast 3522 and WLP530 for my next batch. Saison blending is really common.

Back