BrewPi@ESP8266, no need of RPI and Arduino.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed the same bug as terragady. After reset the ESP, the log start again at 12/June/2019. I didn't use iSpindel.

Sorry, about the two continued posts, but I can't edit the previous message

Great software! The graph go bananas when we use Scandinavian date format d-m-y. The Beer-profile show the way it should, but the graph is a little ahead of us.. ;) .. or is it something I have forgotten to setup.
http://steinsland.net:33833/1.png
http://steinsland.net:33833/2.png
1.png

2.png

Great software! The graph go bananas when we use Scandinavian date format d-m-y. The Beer-profile show the way it should, but the graph is a little ahead of us.. ;) .. or is it something I have forgotten to setup.
http://steinsland.net:33833/1.png
http://steinsland.net:33833/2.png
1.png

2.png

I tested it out and found out that sntp, which is the protocol to retrieve Time from time servers, behaviors differently in newer framework.

It's weird that the SNTP function returns an invalid value so that BPL was in wrong time after reboot. I "fixed" it in the preview version of 3.5:
https://github.com/vitotai/BrewPiLess/tree/v35pre

you might try it if you can build it in PlatformIO.

Thank you and yes I can build it. Just in the middle of fermenting av beer. Perhaps wait for that to finish..

Hi Everybody,

Can anybody help to debug why I cant get remote logging to work on BPL.

I had an old NodeMCU board that worked fine logging to ThingSpeak. Not sure what version that was on, but it was quite old.

But I have recently built 2 new BPL's, and initially loaded V3.4 onto them. They work perfectly for controlling, display works etc, but I cannot get either of them to log to my ThingSpeak or Brewfather accounts. While fiddling with them on and off for the past 3 days each of them have sent 1 log event to Brewfather at some point, but absolutely nothing since.

I have tried updating to V3.5 as I saw a note somewhere about a possible issue with SNTP, and though it may be something to do with that, as the time on the LCD sometimes didn't update at power on and was stuck on 1970.

I have tried looking at the network activity with Wireshark, but all I can see communication between my web browser and the BPL. No DNS look-ups or communication with an external IP address at all, so its as if its not even trying to log remotely.

If anybody has some ideas as to what I can try, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks!
Nick

Hi Everybody,

Can anybody help to debug why I cant get remote logging to work on BPL.

I had an old NodeMCU board that worked fine logging to ThingSpeak. Not sure what version that was on, but it was quite old.

But I have recently built 2 new BPL's, and initially loaded V3.4 onto them. They work perfectly for controlling, display works etc, but I cannot get either of them to log to my ThingSpeak or Brewfather accounts. While fiddling with them on and off for the past 3 days each of them have sent 1 log event to Brewfather at some point, but absolutely nothing since.

I have tried updating to V3.5 as I saw a note somewhere about a possible issue with SNTP, and though it may be something to do with that, as the time on the LCD sometimes didn't update at power on and was stuck on 1970.

I have tried looking at the network activity with Wireshark, but all I can see communication between my web browser and the BPL. No DNS look-ups or communication with an external IP address at all, so its as if its not even trying to log remotely.

If anybody has some ideas as to what I can try, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks!
Nick

I am clueless. The SNTP issue should not affect remote logging functionality.

Please got to http://[ip fo your BPL]:8008/filemanager

and download the file named "bpl.cfg" for me to analyze it.

yeah.
By using MQTT, BPL can be controlled by a MQTT server - the only one I've tested is ubidots. Although complicated operations like editing profile are not available, changing mode and setting temperature can be done on ubidots.com without messing with VPN or DMZ.

The pressure transducer is fun to play with, but it's difficult to secure the connection without leaking. The one I am working on leaks, and the pressure dropped from 20psi to 10psi in 30 minutes, by which I verified that readings from the transducer was correct.
Is mqtt feature aready avaible !? I have seen the Wiki page about this...
But i didnt find any reference on code where they connect to the mqtt server.
A great feature is brewpiless publish the current temp to mqtt broker

Is mqtt feature aready avaible !? I have seen the Wiki page about this...
But i didnt find any reference on code where they connect to the mqtt server.
A great feature is brewpiless publish the current temp to mqtt broker

Just read few posts back, it is in pre release version, link above

Just read few posts back, it is in pre release version, link above
Great!! I saw the code few hours ago, and for 3.6 release i will sugest add some thing like this:

Code:
bool MqttRemoteControl::loop(){

if(_reconnecting){

DBG_PRINTF("MQTT:reconnecting..\n");

if(_client.connected()){

_client.disconnect();

}

// load

_loadConfig();

// reconnect aagin in next loop, if necessary

_reconnecting =false;

}

if(! _enabled) return false;

if(! _client.connected()){

// reconnect

uint32_t now=millis();

if(( (_connectAttempt < MaximumMqttConnectNumber) && (now - _connectTime > ReconnectTimer))

|| (now - _connectTime > ReconnectTimerLong)

){

DBG_PRINTF("MQTT:reconnect..\n");

_connectTime = now;

_client.connect();

}

} 
    else { 
        // If connected send the current beer temp. More other things are missing like how long time between the publish, alter interface to get a new parameter (the Topic to get the current beer temp) ...

_client.publish(_getTempPath , 1, false, tempControl.getBeerTemp() )

}

return true;

}

I am helping with the project. It is a nice job, congratulation to everyone involved.

Last edited:
Great!! I saw the code few hours ago, and for 3.6 release i will sugest add some thing like this:

Code:
bool MqttRemoteControl::loop(){

// code deleted 

if(! _enabled) return false;

if(! _client.connected()){

// reconnect

// code deleted
    }
    else {
        // If connected send the current beer temp. More other things are missing like how long time between the publish, alter interface to get a new parameter (the Topic to get the current beer temp) ...

_client.publish(_getTempPath , 1, false, tempControl.getBeerTemp() )

}

return true;

}

I am helping with the project. It is a nice job, congratulation to everyone involved.

I appreciate your help.
There are problems in this modification.
1. loop() is called in main loop(), which usually runs a few times in one second if nothing else is needed to be executed. The code will result in flooded publish() calls. It's better to move that to onConnect() function.
2.the "setTemp" is also for fridge setting temperature if current mode is fridge constant. I just felt not like having two similar paths, one for beer set and the other for fridge set.

I think I get your idea and will do it in my way.

I appreciate your help.
There are problems in this modification.
1. loop() is called in main loop(), which usually runs a few times in one second if nothing else is needed to be executed. The code will result in flooded publish() calls. It's better to move that to onConnect() function.

I understood, i wrote on comments that were missing another things like a Control to how many publish occurs at amount of time... Like this:

If ( now - lastsend > time_between_publish_parameter) {
publish ();

About your solution: the onConnect callback occurs only when the bpl connect to the broker. If the connection doesnt dead we will see only one publish.

2.the "setTemp" is also for fridge setting temperature if current mode is fridge constant. I just felt not like having two similar paths, one for beer set and the other for fridge set.

I think I get your idea and will do it in my way.

Have differents topics to publish all the information!? so the other application that will received this could decide how to use it:

"bpl/getBeerCurrentTemp", another "bpl/getFridgeCurrentTemp" and maybe"bpl/getMode"

I plan on using BrewPiless to read my mash temp. with the sensor as 'Room Temperature" How can I change the graph grid to one-minute intervals instead of five min?

So if I understand the instructions on the github page, then I should be ready. I have a list of equipment here. My only question is... how do I flash the nodemcu? Do I connect it to my computer using the USB port and then use the flashing utility?

So if I understand the instructions on the github page, then I should be ready. I have a list of equipment here. My only question is... how do I flash the nodemcu? Do I connect it to my computer using the USB port and then use the flashing utility?
Take wemos d1 mini, I am not sure but I tried both of my NodeMCU and they had wifi problem with BPL, otherwise they works fine

I was looking over your spreadsheet BOM- Wow that bottom line sure seems expensive. Where do you live? if you don't mind me asking.

Terragady: thanks for that! I made the change

Bibdaddyale: I live in Canada, so there's a 35% premium on most things. In addition, I ordered from Amazon as I didn't want to wait; plus I've got a few extra things like the fan and the xlr connections for the probes. I save $25 just on those two items.

Question before I order... the D1 mini, or D1 mini pro, or does it matter?

Terragady: thanks for that! I made the change

Bibdaddyale: I live in Canada, so there's a 35% premium on most things. In addition, I ordered from Amazon as I didn't want to wait; plus I've got a few extra things like the fan and the xlr connections for the probes. I save $25 just on those two items.

Question before I order... the D1 mini, or D1 mini pro, or does it matter?
I run the D1 Mini. I faintly recall some people had reception problems with the D1mini Pro

I do not think the pro version is worth it.

Anyway, I have problem with new 3.5 build and iSpidel, it does not report data after 2-3 reports, anyone has same issue?

I just went to aliexpress and priced out the parts I have yet to order. I'll save about $40 if I'm inclined to wait. At that price, I think I might be. I've updated the list if anyone's interested.

I see now where is the problem, in Station+AP mode the AP is not available in the most of the time. It just disappears... so my iSpindel has no network to report and my home network does not have coverage in the freezer, it only catches the brewpiless network if it is available because the device stands next to the freezer.

I do not think the pro version is worth it.

Anyway, I have problem with new 3.5 build and iSpidel, it does not report data after 2-3 reports, anyone has same issue?
I spent the last week trying different versions of BPL and iSpindel. Decided to go with BPL 2.3.2 and iSpindel 5.8.6. It’s working flawlessly for 2 weeks, updating iSpindel data every 10 minutes.

And I also prefer not to use the BPL AP mode.

yeah it works in station mode but as I said I have only brewpiless network available in the freezer, it somehow blocks all of other signal, like faraday cage.

There is something wrong with this version, web server is super slow and it resets all the time.

Last edited:
OK i found the reason I think, if there is a poor connection to local WiFi network the ESP goes crazy and resets, now I have moved my router closer to BPL a bit and now I have full range and it works just fine. I do not know why that matters. It should go normally even without the local network. Maybe when connection is poor and the network computer is trying to get to the webpage the ESP can't handle it.

OK i found the reason I think, if there is a poor connection to local WiFi network the ESP goes crazy and resets, now I have moved my router closer to BPL a bit and now I have full range and it works just fine. I do not know why that matters. It should go normally even without the local network. Maybe when connection is poor and the network computer is trying to get to the webpage the ESP can't handle it.

That makes a lot sense. I believe that ESP8266 has only one transceiver and “receiving” is not possible when searching for network.

anyone knows why a have no value at the sensor from chamber? It shows normally at the main screen but here in setup there is a blank space. There is something wrong with the sensor, cables or something or just a software thingi?

upload_2019-4-2_16-55-5.png

Don't know if this is with the BrewPi or Fermentrack setup - but in BrewPi you need to check the box up top that says "read values" to get that to show:

Capture.PNG

If this was BrewPi, he must've enabled it because one of the sensors is showing read data.
I would swap the probe with the other, re-configure Device Manager, and see what happens...

Cheers!

the thread is about brewpi(less) so I am using this, there is no option to enable read values, and yes day_trippr is right, one is showing a value and the other not do not, anyhow both show the value at the main screen and graph.

The thread is about BrewPiLess. but this would not be the first post that was in the wrong place. The systems are all so intertwined, information for one is often applicable to others.

I'm with @day_trippr. Seeing that they both show up in the LCD and only one in Device Manager, I believe that may be on the softer side of things.

Back