BrewPi@ESP8266, no need of RPI and Arduino.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the page you are looking for. I had the same problem but can't remember how I fixed it. I had to go on my routers and search for the esp8266 url.

I've tried bunch of urls but none of them works :)
Maybe I'm missing something, what is the entire process to make it work?
1. i new brand new d1 mini board, nothing connected to it other then usb cable to my pc
2. i flashed the BrewPiLess.v3.3r1.bin file
3. anything else i need to do now?

at this step, i can connect to wifi, but cannot open config page that Bigdaddyale showed

I've tried bunch of urls but none of them works :)
Maybe I'm missing something, what is the entire process to make it work?
1. i new brand new d1 mini board, nothing connected to it other then usb cable to my pc
2. i flashed the BrewPiLess.v3.3r1.bin file
3. anything else i need to do now?

at this step, i can connect to wifi, but cannot open config page that Bigdaddyale showed
I think there is a different procedure for versions of BPL after 3.0. https://github.com/vitotai/BrewPiLess/wiki/WiFi-setup-after-v3.1

Is this a bug? I cannot change the LCD off timer...
Gets me this error.

Error at saving information. So.my LCD is always on..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181108-205609.png
    Screenshot_20181108-205609.png
    104.7 KB · Views: 80
Hi,

I have a couple quick questions about what I'm trying to accomplish. It's hard to keep track of all of the updates and changes to the different brewpi configs out there. This one definitely seems the most affordable and easiest to config.

1. Can this version communicate with iSpindel?
2. Are there graphs implemented now?
3. Is there an up to date parts list?
4. Does it have fermentrack functionality or will I need a rpi to do fermentrack?

I guess my main concern is what is this version lacking compared to the full rpi + arduino?

First of all, this solution lacks a RPI.

For other questions, you might find answers here:
https://github.com/vitotai/BrewPiLess/wiki
Yeah I'm aware it lacks a rpi. I was meaning more of what features does it lacks compared to the traditional brewpi. I checked out the GitHub and understand it more, I didn't see a hardware list on there though, is there an updated hardware list in this thread somewhere?

Yeah I'm aware it lacks a rpi. I was meaning more of what features does it lacks compared to the traditional brewpi. I checked out the GitHub and understand it more, I didn't see a hardware list on there though, is there an updated hardware list in this thread somewhere?

The first section of the WiKi is "Hardware Setup". There are three examples. Choose anyone you like, or invent one you want.

Hey, is it better to connect ispindel to bpl via bpl AP or the home network? Is it any bigger stress for esp to run station+AP?

Is there a way to modify BrewPiSetting.maxDegree that is inside the gziped HTM?
When doing lactic fermentation temps above 30 are used some times.
Also what to get down to 0C.

Hey, is it better to connect ispindel to bpl via bpl AP or the home network? Is it any bigger stress for esp to run station+AP?

That depends on your network configuration.

I've used AP+STA mode since beginning. I setup iSpindle to connect to the AP BPL creates. It worked pretty well until I updated my iSpindel to latest 6.0.x. I have no idea why iSpindel just didn't report after power recycle. It DID report after configuration of network, but it didn't after powered off and on again. I then backed to 5.2.0 that had worked well for me.

Is there a way to modify BrewPiSetting.maxDegree that is inside the gziped HTM?
When doing lactic fermentation temps above 30 are used some times.
Also what to get down to 0C.

I don't know about BrewPiSetting.maxDegree.

In BrewPiLess, the maximum and temperature settings are the values of BrewPi 'core', which is ported from original BrewPi Arduino firmware.

That values are changeable by JSON commands:
https://github.com/vitotai/BrewPiLess/wiki/JSON-command

I've used AP+STA mode since beginning. I setup iSpindle to connect to the AP BPL creates. It worked pretty well until I updated my iSpindel to latest 6.0.x. I have no idea why iSpindel just didn't report after power recycle. It DID report after configuration of network, but it didn't after powered off and on again. I then backed to 5.2.0 that had worked well for me.

Oh this is weird, what could they change? It should report in the same manner. Point is that in the fridge I have quite low network wifi gain and esp being very close has more gain so I thought I will use that. Well, I will test if mine setup will work or will behave like you wrote. Did you asked someone at ispindel what has been changed in "reporting" ?

Oh this is weird, what could they change? It should report in the same manner. Point is that in the fridge I have quite low network wifi gain and esp being very close has more gain so I thought I will use that. Well, I will test if mine setup will work or will behave like you wrote. Did you asked someone at ispindel what has been changed in "reporting" ?

Busy developing MQTT remote control and pressure transducer support, I did not verify this issue yet. It looks more like configuration issue rather than networking issue. More test is needed to clarify it.

yeah.
By using MQTT, BPL can be controlled by a MQTT server - the only one I've tested is ubidots. Although complicated operations like editing profile are not available, changing mode and setting temperature can be done on ubidots.com without messing with VPN or DMZ.

The pressure transducer is fun to play with, but it's difficult to secure the connection without leaking. The one I am working on leaks, and the pressure dropped from 20psi to 10psi in 30 minutes, by which I verified that readings from the transducer was correct.

Attachments

• pressure.jpg
    pressure.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 70
Hi, brand new to BPL but very excited to get started. I'm a bit worried though... I bought brand new Sonoff TH10's to run BPL on, but when I flash them with BPL, they just brick. I read in the notes that BPL is not compatible with new Sonoff ESP8285.... Not sure why that is, does anyone know? I have managed to flash Espurna on them no problem.

Hi, brand new to BPL but very excited to get started. I'm a bit worried though... I bought brand new Sonoff TH10's to run BPL on, but when I flash them with BPL, they just brick. I read in the notes that BPL is not compatible with new Sonoff ESP8285.... Not sure why that is, does anyone know? I have managed to flash Espurna on them no problem.

You might need to set flash mode by adding the following line in PlatformIO.ini
Code:
board_build.flash_mode = dout

It seems after sometime mourned 2017, the newer SONOFF changed to use ESP8285, and only dout mode is supported.

Update:
It seems there is another option "board_flash_mode". I am not sure which one is good but just built images with both set. You might try getting them on GitHub.

Last edited:
You might need to set flash mode by adding the following line in PlatformIO.ini
Code:
board_build.flash_mode = dout

It seems after sometime mourned 2017, the newer SONOFF changed to use ESP8285, and only dout mode is supported.

Update:
It seems there is another option "board_flash_mode". I am not sure which one is good but just built images with both set. You might try getting them on GitHub.
Wow... You smashed it, mate. I downloaded the new sonoffota you posted and flashed it and now I have joined your brewpiless army. Totally astonished at that kind of level of support. Really appreciate it.

Now I can concentrate on building my newly arrived iSpindel and getting some ginger beer on the brew.

Thanks again. Great work.

Just to confirm, latest BPL and latest firmware on iSpindel and it works in AP+Station mode, reporting.

Just to confirm, latest BPL and latest firmware on iSpindel and it works in AP+Station mode, reporting.

I verified again. It worked for two hours and then stop. Reporting to ubidots.com did last over night. weird.

Wonder if some have compiled (v3.4r1) OLED version with newui, or perhaps point me to what to change before compiling. English version.
https://github.com/vitotai/BrewPiLess/tree/master/bins

Add "OLED_LCD=true" in "build_flags".

Code:
[env:nodemcuv2-newui]
platform = espressif8266@~1.8.0
board = d1_mini
framework = arduino
lib_extra_dirs = ./lib_async
build_flags = -Wl,-Tesp8266.flash.4m2m.ld  -DOLED_LCD=true
    -DUseNewFrontEnd=true

monitor_speed = 115200
lib_deps = ${common_env_data.lib_deps_external}

You will need to change the build target. The binary file will be ".pioenv/nodemcu2-newui/firmware.bin"

Code:
[platformio]
env_default = nodemcu2-newui

OK I found out that sometimes iSpindel is not reporting or BPL does not show a iSpindel gravity report. I have set interval to 15 min but like everysome time there are reports with 30min break in between. This might be either iSpindel or BPL soft issue or maybe problem with connectivity? BPL stands next to freezer where I keep my fermenter but there is actually no possibility to check what signal strength is there. iSpidndel is not reporting anything like this right?

As this happened already second time I will write about it. It seems that device is restarting and there is wrong date after resuming, maybe some day format? It was showing 12/6/2018 and now it is showing 6/12/2019, graph is destroyed and there is no iSpidndel reading anymore. This might suggest that maybe in AP+Station mode when iSpindel is reporting there is some bug doing it? I should probably go back to firmware before version 6 and see if that happens again.
It might be also some problem with logging? I stopped logging and started it again and the date is correct now.

Maybe I should go for old UI or for version before all that? v3.0?

EDIT:
OK now iSpindel reports once or twice after new logging started and then it stops reporting, so I think it is BPL bug as the iSpindel reports again when I set new logging.

EDIT2: ALso with newUI there is no "now" button in beer profile so everytime you need to change a date from 1970 to current one. Is it possible to add that button back?

EDIT3: about iSpindel wifi strength, from 5.8.0 iSpindel is transmiting RSSI strength so maybe you can also add that information somewhere? I like the RSSI of BPL itself, it is useful, maybe similar can be added for connected iSpindel?

EDIT4: hahah ok still only me commenting :D Is there any benefit from the D1 mini pro? Does it have better range with stock antenna? I am guessing it will have better with external antenna attached? I have seen on github people were having problems with BPL on Pro's. Does it still occur or it is all fine without any modifications?
upload_2018-12-6_21-23-0.png

Last edited:
Add "OLED_LCD=true" in "build_flags".

Code:
[env:nodemcuv2-newui]
platform = espressif8266@~1.8.0
board = d1_mini
framework = arduino
lib_extra_dirs = ./lib_async
build_flags = -Wl,-Tesp8266.flash.4m2m.ld  -DOLED_LCD=true
    -DUseNewFrontEnd=true

monitor_speed = 115200
lib_deps = ${common_env_data.lib_deps_external}

You will need to change the build target. The binary file will be ".pioenv/nodemcu2-newui/firmware.bin"

Code:
[platformio]
Great. Thank you! For future reference. Use
Code:
env_default = nodemcuv2-newui
not
Code:

Here it is, I was not able to donwload it from file manager, I could see them but not download, only upload.

Can you write your inside about my previous post EDIT2 and EDIT3 especially? I am interested in those :)

Attachments

• PulawskiIPA.zip
    8.7 KB · Views: 20
Here it is, I was not able to donwload it from file manager, I could see them but not download, only upload.

Can you write your inside about my previous post EDIT2 and EDIT3 especially? I am interested in those :)

I think there was something wrong about the "time". It seems like the correct time is not available on reset.
I will add some error checking code to cover it.

EDIT2: ALso with newUI there is no "now" button in beer profile so everytime you need to change a date from 1970 to current one. Is it possible to add that button back?

EDIT3: about iSpindel wifi strength, from 5.8.0 iSpindel is transmiting RSSI strength so maybe you can also add that information somewhere? I like the RSSI of BPL itself, it is useful, maybe similar can be added for connected iSpindel?

They surely can be done. However, I am not good at web design and afraid of making the interface uglier.

I think there was something wrong about the "time". It seems like the correct time is not available on reset.
I will add some error checking code to cover it.

They surely can be done. However, I am not good at web design and afraid of making the interface uglier.

RSSI can be accessible through some other page like /ispindel.htm with some other information which iSpindel transmits or some other useful debug info from ESP etc.

Hey @terragady, just unzip the file and upload it (control.htm.gz) to BPL.
vito, you can add it to github.

EDIT: "Now" button it's now closer to Date

2018-12-23 00.43.29.png

Attachments

• control.htm.gz.zip
    47.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
The "Now" button and WiFi signal of iSpindel are available in the upcoming v3.5, which is currently under test. Well, my limited verification.

It's on another branch. You can try if you can build it in PlatformIO.
https://github.com/vitotai/BrewPiLess/tree/v35pre
Great Vito! You're the best!
I'll test it later.

MQTT control will be fantastic. Any chance to implement in BM too?

Latest posts

Back