Brewing a cyser with Voss kveik yeast from Omega; temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mead-guy1994

Reaction score
Hello mead heads,

I’m getting some Voss kveik yeast from Omega yeast in Chicago. I want to make a cyser and the temp range on this one says 62-95 degrees F. However it also says best fermented hot! I do not have temp control equipment and my basement where it would be is 68 F. Can anybody tell me if they’ve ever brewed at this temp with kveik and if it worked, OR recommend me a really cheap but effective heat mat and temp controller?

Alternatively, I can boil the cider id use and let it cool to 90-95 and then pitch the yeast and I’ve got a good liquid yeast starter. What are some ways you guys have kept the carboy warm without temp control? Can I wrap it in blankets after pitching? I’ve heard kveik will create its own heat it ferments so fast. Please help!

Hello mead heads,

I’m getting some Voss kveik yeast from Omega yeast in Chicago. I want to make a cyser and the temp range on this one says 62-95 degrees F. However it also says best fermented hot! I do not have temp control equipment and my basement where it would be is 68 F. Can anybody tell me if they’ve ever brewed at this temp with kveik and if it worked, OR recommend me a really cheap but effective heat mat and temp controller?

Alternatively, I can boil the cider id use and let it cool to 90-95 and then pitch the yeast and I’ve got a good liquid yeast starter. What are some ways you guys have kept the carboy warm without temp control? Can I wrap it in blankets after pitching? I’ve heard kveik will create its own heat it ferments so fast. Please help!
I fermented kveik both very hot and also at room temp, both worked very well. That's the beauty of kveik!

I've been fermenting my kveik meads without temperature control. Ambient was hovering between 70-75 and they've fermented just fine. The hot temperature suggestions for kveiks are usually for beers where you want a lot of fruit/citrus flavors to shine. If you're just looking for something to ferment your mead, room temperature is fine.

I would suggest upping the normal amount of nutrients you use though. Kveiks seem to really need more nutrients than wine or other ale yeasts do.

Agree with Tandem Tales. Add additional nutrients 1.5 X normal. I ferment Mead at 90 Deg f. using Kviek Hothead. Be sure to leave a lot of room in your fermentor they create a lot of krausen. 2+".

Latest posts

Back