Brewfather: wild swing in IBUs when switching between Extract and All Grain settings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebbelwoi

Reaction score
I'm trying to design an all-DME (plus a little dextrose) hefeweizen recipe on Brewfather. I've done dozens of BIAB batches with Brewfather, but I'm still trying to get the hang of designing a recipe in the Extract setting.

I think I'm close to what I want, but I just noticed that my recipe's 13 IBUs (in the Extract and Partial Mash settings) shoot up to 20 IBUs merely by changing the type to All Grain.

Anybody know what might be going on here?

1649675520175.png

vs.

1649675548516.png

Attachments

• 1649675472466.png
    1649675472466.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 2
Just a guess but I suspect that Brewfather is expecting you to do a partial boil (concentrated boil) when you do the extract batch and top off with water in the fermenter. That concentrated boil would get you lower extracted IBU's.

@ebbelwoi : is there a setting in BrewFather when you can indicate when the dry extract is added? For example, in Brewers Friend, there is a "Late Addition" checkbox:

Looks like we have a winner.
1649752244522.png

When I changed this setting from default to either mash or boil, the IBUs dropped from 20 to 14. There's still a 1 IBU between extract and all grain, but I'm OK with it.

Thanks!

One thing I can tell you is that the actual IBUs will fall in between, at about 15.

I've got hop utilization set at 92%. I don't have any hard evidence, but I figure that the hops I get here in Japan aren't the freshest, so I'm guessing they've lost a bit of their punch.

Back