Bottling Disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrowboarder

Reaction score
I dry hopped a wheat IPA with pellets, which after a week and couple days wouldn't sink completely to the bottom. I put a mesh bag over the siphon tube to keep the pellets out of the bottling bucket. Huge mistake, because the pellets clogged the mesh bag and a ton of air started coming through the siphon. I might as well as hooked my fish tank air pump up and dropped the air diffuser into the bottling bucket. Anyway, I let it go the rest of the way and had to leave about a quarter gallon of beer in the secondar. Then I made another mistake. I added about 5 ounces of priming sugar to the 4 gallons of beer in the bottling g bucket. Is the 4th of July coming early this year?

Most folks like their Wheaties to be carbed on the boisterous side, so that five ounces in four gallons might be about right.

Just checked using this carbonation calculator, and indeed you should end up with around 3.2 volumes, which I would consider perfect for an American Wheat beer...

Cheers!

Back