Filtering Adjuncts Before Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've got a saison in the fermenter that is full of orange peel, coriander, etc., and I am wondering about straining out that stuff before bottling. I typically syphon from fermenter to bottling bucket before bottling. If I try that with this batch, I foresee the syphon getting totally clogged with stuff. My first thought was to just pour it from the fermenter into the bottling bucket, using a mesh strainer to catch the chunks (sanitizing everything, of course). That's going to expose it to a lot of air; will that be a problem? Are there other issues I am not thinking about? A better way to do it?

Thanks, all!

Erik the Anglophile

Reaction score
If all the fruit stuff is floating in top, you should be able to siphon as usual, as the siphon tube will be a fair bit below surface.
If it has flocced to the bottom, also bussines as usual.
You could take some cloth and ghetto-rig a filter on the siphon.
Just pouring from the fermenter through a strainer feels like a really bad idea.

OP
OP
bad raccoon brewing
Reaction score
Yeah, I had the same instinct about just sloshing it from one bucket to another. I've seen narrow, cylindrical hop cages that are basically stainless steel strainers. I can slip one over the end of the syphon--should work. Hoping it won't strain out all the yeast, as I do need some carbonation in the bottles...