Bottle dregs yeast harvest - success -Unibroue; Allagash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrGarbonzo

Reaction score
While there appears to be some debate about the quality of Unibroue bottle fermented yeast dregs*, I had a successful fermentation using dregs from 4 or 5 bottles of their variety 6 pack (Maudite, Blanche, Trois Pistoles, Fin du Monde, others). While it did not end up with Belgian fruity alcohol esters, it didn't end up dry and over-fermented, as some may worry. Went from 1.064 to 1.010. I don't think it would be sufficient for a Belgian style, but for other ales it works well.

I also had a successful fermentation using dregs from 4 bottles of Allagash White. The starter didn't smell like it was super viable, but there was a large krausen and the airlock smells great; spicy and fruity - I'm hoping some of the spicy witbier flavors show up.

*(ie, it may actually be a clean-finishing carbonation strain and not their Belgian house strain)

I discovered La Fin du Monde back in 2013, and decided I wanted to try and match it. My 1st attempt to grow yeast from the dregs failed (contamination) but I improved my sanitation and was successful the 2nd time. The result, which I called 'La Fin de L'Annee' was a pretty good representative.

I discovered La Fin du Monde back in 2013, and decided I wanted to try and match it. My 1st attempt to grow yeast from the dregs failed (contamination) but I improved my sanitation and was successful the 2nd time. The result, which I called 'La Fin de L'Annee' was a pretty good representative.
I heard maybe they switched bottle yeasts at some point? You have a recipe for La Fin de l'Anee?

A successful harvest from a bottle is a wonderful feeling. I recently propped up some dregs from a bottle of mischief and nothing happened for several days. Flash forward almost a week, I went to shake my starter since it still didn't smell infected and it nearly foamed over.

Allagash White yeast is one I often build to make my wits. I often travel for work and vacation in the NE and love White. I can't get it here in FL, so it's the only way to get that Allagash flavor.

It's a great yeast to get from bottle dregs. It's been confirmed as the house yeast and from conversations I've had while on their brewery tour (many times) the White is not filtered as some of the others are.

I've yet to try dregs from their new canning of White. Not sure if the bottles will still be available since they moved to canning, so fingers crossed when I need to do the next batch.

When building up White I typically use 3 bottles worth of dregs in a 1.020 half liter starter. 36 hours, chill, decant then pitch into a full liter 1.036-1.040 starter wort.

I've done about 7 build ups and only ended up with one that tasted "off"

Currently working on first build up try from Bell's 2 hearted.

Only other time I tried was from a big bottle of saison Dupont, but it didn't work for me.

I've cultured the Allagash yeast a few times, good all around belgian strain and not just for Wits. The do bottle condition the cans of wit too.

Try ommegang as well, try to get a fresh 750 of their wit or hennepin. I've cultured that twice with great results.

Back