Blissfully Child-Free

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And there is something wrong with seeing if you can make it work and come to love each other have a functional relationship?

Absolutely not! It's certainly better than throwing in the towel and just giving up. I'm just saying that statistically, the deck is stacked against that kid, compared to, say, his peers who come from parents who were already deeply in love and married long before they started having kids.

I obviously wish them luck, but I believe that the kid has at least a few disadvantages starting out, and he's not even born yet. It's not an ideal situation, but I guess I'm coming to realize very few of them are, and yet most people seem to turn out alright.

Absolutely not! It's certainly better than throwing in the towel and just giving up. I'm just saying that statistically, the deck is stacked against that kid, compared to, say, his peers who come from parents who were already deeply in love and married long before they started having kids.

I obviously wish them luck, but I believe that the kid has at least a few disadvantages starting out, and he's not even born yet. It's not an ideal situation, but I guess I'm coming to realize very few of them are, and yet most people seem to turn out alright.

I'd agree with you there.

Maybe I have an unpopular opinion, but it is why I don't judge those who get an abortion. I love my kids. I am maybe not huge about other people's kids...but on the whole, I love kids and think life is precious. But I am not other people. They need to do what is best for them and/or their family. If that means choosing not to have a child when they can't provide for it, would make all and sundry miserable, etc., it is not for me to judge.

My wife and I have talked about it at length. As much as I want a 4th, it would make my entire family's life so much harder. Make it much harder to put our kids through college. Much harder to save for retirement. We'd either be really cramped in our house or we'd have to move (and would have to move to a much less ideal area, because we can't afford a larger house in the area we do live in. Which means more time commuting to work and possibly worse schools). Might not be able to afford preschool for the baby. Sacrafice many family vacations. Possibly not do sports for the kids. Have a harder time helping our kids when they are adults. So on. Not a sacrafice we are willing to make. So the big A it would be. However, we've made darned sure an accident pretty much can't happen (IUD).

Other people have different opinions on the matter of course, and opinions are great so long as they don't get forced on people.

In. My friend says not having kids leaves you on the hook to take care of your parents as they age because you have the extra time without kids.

I'm just amazed this hasn't been moved to the debate forum yet.

Or the food forum. Not sure which is more appropriate at this point.

I don't see a debate. People make choices in pursuit of happiness. Some have kids, some don't, nobody is wrong there.

This is just another one of those threads to test your restraint and tolerance. How'd you do?

I don't see a debate. People make choices in pursuit of happiness. Some have kids, some don't, nobody is wrong there.

This is just another one of those threads to test your restraint and tolerance. How'd you do?

Well, in fairness to the OP, that's not how it started out. I read it more of a "Everyone else loves to babble endlessly about their kids, can I talk about how I love not having kids with others who choose to not have kids?" Yes, it went quickly downhill from there, but in no small part to parents who too it as (if I read them correctly), were somehow put out by the OP's desire for posting his thing.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, as I don't feel the same need to talk about my decision to not have kids, but there was a sharp turn in the direction this thread went that was not entirely the fault of OP.

Edit: actually, I do have a dog in this fight. Cheese is not food. I have not eaten cheese, nor any dairy, for nearly 20 years. I don't even like fake, non-dairy cheeses. Cheese and faux cheese products make me ill just to think about. Yuck.

Double edit: Do we still have a Miley Cyrus / sandwich thread? This belongs wherever that one lives.

edit: Actually, i do have a dog in this fight. Cheese is not food. I have not eaten cheese, nor any dairy, for nearly 20 years. I don't even like fake, non-dairy cheeses. Cheese and faux cheese products make me ill just to think about. Yuck.

heretic!

Burn the witch!

Edit: Is this the new "Please Delete"-thread?

Edit: actually, I do have a dog in this fight. Cheese is not food. I have not eaten cheese, nor any dairy, for nearly 20 years. I don't even like fake, non-dairy cheeses. Cheese and faux cheese products make me ill just to think about. Yuck.

Double edit: Do we still have a Miley Cyrus / sandwich thread? This belongs wherever that one lives.

I don't think we can be friends... :confused:

TA1LaMGIDJAqs.gif

Well, in fairness to the OP, that's not how it started out. I read it more of a "Everyone else loves to babble endlessly about their kids, can I talk about how I love not having kids with others who choose to not have kids?" Yes, it went quickly downhill from there, but in no small part to parents who too it as (if I read them correctly), were somehow put out by the OP's desire for posting his thing.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, as I don't feel the same need to talk about my decision to not have kids, but there was a sharp turn in the direction this thread went that was not entirely the fault of OP.

I understand, but you can't expect to have a private conversation with a select group on a forum. Try starting the "I love my Glass Carboy" thread and see where that goes.

This was a provocative topic. It was circling the bowl for a bit there, but I think the nonsense-shooters have effectively saved/derailed it.

If you don't eat cheese I don't want you passing on your genetics anyway. I don't trust anyone that doesn't eat cheese.

Whatever. I'm more evolved than you cheese eaters anyway.

I drank my last glass of milk at age 6. Gave it up as I decided it was nasty. I ate my cereal dry from that point on. This isn't a joke. Screw dairy. :p

I understand, but you can't expect to have a private conversation with a select group on a forum. Try starting the "I love my Glass Carboy" thread and see where that goes.

This was a provocative topic. It was circling the bowl for a bit there, but I think the nonsense-shooters have effectively saved/derailed it.

I hear you, and you do have a point. But the fact that it is so provocative, while parents gushing over their children largely isn't, kind of reinforces part of OP's original beef.

Latest posts

Back