Blissfully Child-Free

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a fan of those aged cheddars. Too dry and hard. Also whoever mentioned easy cheese up there is now above children on the list of things I do not like.

I tripped and fell into my ring.

Frodo_anillo.jpg

I generalize in these cases because its not socially acceptable to ask those parents to leave the area with their children. I understand its impossible to stop children in a lot of cases because they do not have impulse control like (most) adults do. Removing the child from the area so it doesn't disturb other people is acceptable and its a good solution to the problem, no you dont need to beat your child, but removing the disturbance is a good way to deal with the issue.

There is a big big big BUT here.

BUT, when that parent runs over my foot with their stroller and looks at me like its my fault, or when that parent has their screaming child in a restaurant and does not remove them from the area, or has a screaming child in a PG-13/R rated movie theater and does not take them out of the theater. Yes, then I think the parent is the problem, not the child. (if I am sitting in a theater and watching like, the Lego Movie or Shrek, as examples, and theres a screaming child, I'll be peaved, but its a childrens movie, if I am watching Jackass the Movie, and I see 3 toddlers that couldn't be more than 6 years old a piece, and they're talking and screaming during the movie, then yes, I have a problem)

No, I am not suggesting you beat the children, at all. I am also not suggesting you cannot go out in public with your child. Lets be completely honest though, if you are in a semi-nice restaurant, or a movie theater and its some PG13 or higher movie playing, do you really think its acceptable to just let the kid scream it out? The world doesn't cater to the child-less, nor should it cater to the child-ed either. If someone let their dog sit outside your house and bark all night long keeping your kids up through out the night, you'd be pretty peaved too wouldnt you? I am not equating children to dogs, but some pets have about the same impulse control as children do.

I'd say most of what you say is valid, but I don't necessarily agree with "remove them from the area". When it is a possibility, sure. When it isn't, yes, everyone should just have to suffer through and hopefully the parent is actually doing what they reasonably can as a good parent to control their child.

The parent shouldn't be taking a 4 year old to anything but a kids movie. They shouldn't be taking a 4 year old to a nice resteraunt, etc.

However, parent's can't exactly help taking their kid to target for a shopping trip. Oh, sure, you can try to calm them down or remove them temporarily from the store if they are throwing a tempertanturm. Maybe. Sometimes so long as the kid isn't actively causing issues other than noise/scene (like throwing things, running around like crazy, running in to people or things, etc.) the best thing is just to let them work it out for a minute or two.

Got that screaming baby in line that needs a diaper change or be feed ? Is it reasonable to expect the parent to hop out of line and go feed or change the baby when they are maybe 2 minutes from being checked out and leaving? I'd think not.

I see both sides of it. I absolutely see other parents being horrible parents and letting their kids run truely amok. Or watching them take their kids to totally inappropriate places. It annoys the hell out of me. I also see people roll their eyes, or sigh when they see some poor mom or dad in line with their 9 month old who starts screaming because they are too tired and this is the 2nd errand that the parent has had to drag their kid on...but, hey, they don't eat if they don't finish checking out with their grocceries.

I've seen people on occasion walk up to a parent who is obviously doing their best to juggle many things at once, and doing a pretty decent job, and asking them if they could control their child, because the kid is crying because the parent told them they couldn't have a candy bar standing in line to check out. Do I see it a lot? Heck no, but I have seen it a few times.

In terms of numbers, I see a lot more parents taking their age inappropriate kids places they shouldn't have. That annoys me. That doesn't mean I can't be annoyed at people who obviously have no patients for parents of kids who can't act like little angels if they are within visual or audible range of them. Because a crying kid in line at the store is going to ruin that person's entire day. Or who take the attitude that "well, obviously they are doing a horrible job if they can't keep their child 100% under control and muzzled at all times".

i know that feel but i think the wife is gonna want to have kids soon.... i kinda of do and dont.... lol

My buddy who i thought would never have kids and loves the single life just knocked up his GF a few months ago. Now shes moving in and idk... maybe hes gonna marry her... i would have never thought this was gonna happen.... accidents.. lol

I'm not a fan of those aged cheddars. Too dry and hard. Also whoever mentioned easy cheese up there is now above children on the list of things I do not like.

Sometimes, when I get home from a night of heavy drinking... I just go to the fridge and empty the contents of a can of easy cheese directly into my mouth and just go to bed happy.

Its also good on hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken wings, lasagna, pizza, pop-tarts and sardines.

Im a stickler for wording (if not spelling and grammar, which gets worse the more I type) so I have to insist we as a people agree on what the word "accident" means in this context. If two different sexed people engage in sexual relations without the protection of birth control, any progeny that might come into the world as a result may very well be a surprise... but it sure isn't an accident.

I'm not really calling azazel out on this because in his context it doesn't matter all that much. He wanted kids, his wife wanted kids, they just didn't keep a journal of his wife's vaginal temperature and actively find the night most likely to produce a fertilized egg.

What ACTUALLY really pisses me off is these people with 7 kids on Super Nanny crying that their last 6 were "an accident". No... they weren't.

SessionalGoodness was no accident. But I'll be damned if he wasn't one hell of a surprise.

I couldn't figure out SG acronym. Flocking legendary. Seasonal goodness. I love your writing here in this thread BTW. Spot on, just a joy to read, an absolute joy.

I love this thread, I love the idea behind its inception, I love the inevitable ridiculous OTT reaction from some folks, I love that I got to see the @thecadjockey as a goth, and that I have to post more nonsense to get a dedicated file on @hunter_la 's PC.

In the avoidance of G. Oak esque run-on sentences I also love that I had the good sense to begin a new paragraph. I'm a lucky bugger. I get to spend the last hour or so reading this majestic piece while enjoying some luxuriant surroundings. Kids are both asleep in a hotel closet ( a good sized one I should add, both in cribs).

I think Kombat has a solid thread here and I salute hime for starting it. The "kids are great" stories in media are such a snooze fest I have yet to get past an opening paragraph. This has been fantastic.

I would merely add that if you are fortunate enough to be in a position to choose a lifestyle, do whatever it takes strengthen and protect it. Life is great, grab it by the balls and shake every ounce of fun out of it.

And, in a likely soon to be extremely related note, This just in.... Candy, as you folks call it in the USA, is an abomination to man.

*Shuts down PC for fear that the use of "USA" and "abomination" in the same sentence have instigated a counter-idiocy NSA anal-probing attack*

Sometimes, when I get home from a night of heavy drinking... I just go to the fridge and empty the contents of a can of easy cheese directly into my mouth and just go to bed happy.

Its also good on hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken wings, lasagna, pizza, pop-tarts and sardines.

I used to think you were cool. I used to respect you.

I don't know anything anymore.

And this is all going in the file.

I couldn't figure out SG acronym. Flocking legendary. Seasonal goodness. I love your writing here in this thread BTW. Spot on, just a joy to read, an absolute joy.

I love this thread, I love the idea behind its inception, I love the inevitable ridiculous OTT reaction from some folks, I love that I got to see the @thecadjockey as a goth, and that I have to post more nonsense to get a dedicated file on @hunter_la 's PC.

In the avoidance of G. Oak esque run-on sentences I also love that I had the good sense to begin a new paragraph. I'm a lucky bugger. I get to spend the last hour or so reading this majestic piece while enjoying some luxuriant surroundings. Kids are both asleep in a hotel closet ( a good sized one I should add, both in cribs).

I think Kombat has a solid thread here and I salute hime for starting it. The "kids are great" stories in media are such a snooze fest I have yet to get past an opening paragraph. This has been fantastic.

I would merely add that if you are fortunate enough to be in a position to choose a lifestyle, do whatever it takes strengthen and protect it. Life is great, grab it by the balls and shake every ounce of fun out of it.

And, in a likely soon to be extremely related note, This just in.... Candy, as you folks call it in the USA, is an abomination to man.

*Shuts down PC for fear that the use of "USA" and "abomination" in the same sentence have instigated a counter-idiocy NSA anal-probing attack*

Come over to the dark side.

almond-joy.jpg

How much ecstacy....err, you have to say "Molly" nowadays...did you eat today??

I almost started a "Childfully bliss-free" thread last night but then my son made me laugh so hard I realized I couldn't even lie long enough for a stupid joke thread.

I like the bacon cheddar easy cheese, on whole wheat ritz. I take three cans of the stuff every time we go camping. That's some goodness. Wonder if the boy is up for some camping.

My buddy who i thought would never have kids and loves the single life just knocked up his GF a few months ago. Now shes moving in and idk... maybe hes gonna marry her... i would have never thought this was gonna happen.... accidents.. lol

Wow. I feel so badly for that kid.

I heard that.

Yeah... take the family pheasant hunting or something, haha.

Or swing through on your way to see 4 guys faces carved into rock.

Or come to my town to see our majestic falls and homeless people.

Falls-Park-in-Sioux-Falls-SD.jpg

Breathtaking, isn't it?

Beats the **** out of Dallas. Though in Dallas' defense your city may well be inadequately large-hatted. Go Cowboys!

Pheasant hunting sounds great BTW. I'll have my man prepare a trifecta of rifles and a sextet of ales should I make the voyage north.

Does one dress to the left or right in Sioux Falls; or is there perhaps a colonial style to which I am ignorant of. Something in a twill perhaps?

Does one dress to the left or right in Sioux Falls; or is there perhaps a colonial style to which I am ignorant of. Something in a twill perhaps?

I think the traditional, accepted colonial style of Sioux Falls you're looking for can be found if you do a google image search for "people of walmart"

Beats the **** out of Dallas. Though in Dallas' defense your city may well be inadequately large-hatted. Go Cowboys!

Pheasant hunting sounds great BTW. I'll have my man prepare a trifecta of rifles and a sextet of ales should I make the voyage north.

For a local reference point, ever been to Mesquite or Garland?

You know those mesh baseball caps with the clasp on the back, and the opening with which you can pull your mullet through?

Yeah that's how they dress.

I think the traditional, accepted colonial style of Sioux Falls you're looking for can be found if you do a google image search for "people of walmart"

My valet has been advised accordingly and has been dispatched to the aforementioned haberdashery. I do hope their tailor is familiar with the open weave and "baseball".

Yeah, just dress in your everyday attire.

You'll fit right in.

FullSizeRender38.jpg

I've been to Sioux Falls, not too shabby; if I recall pants are optional.. which is always a plus. When I was a kid I became a Carnie for a summer. Went from TX straight up and hit all the state fairs. North Dakota's was the haps, Nickelback even performed. Made $400 and bought an N64.

I've been to Sioux Falls, not too shabby; if I recall pants are optional.. which is always a plus. When I was a kid I became a Carnie for a summer. Went from TX straight up and hit all the state fairs. North Dakota's was the haps, Nickelback even performed. Made $400 and bought an N64.

I went to a beach near the Golden Gate Bridge once and I'm like "wow, I guess pants are optional here when you fly a kite".

I didn't find out the pants-less man (he had a shirt on) almost 8 years after this trip to San Francisco that it was actually a nude beach.

When you were carny-ing did you paint some of your teeth black so it looks like you were missing teeth? If I saw a carny with all their teeth I would think its an undercover cop.

When you were carny-ing did you paint some of your teeth black so it looks like you were missing teeth? If I saw a carny with all their teeth I would think its an undercover cop.

Whoo boy man, I aint done none that. Just talk redneck and yall fit right in, tell you wha.

Whoo boy man, I aint done none that. Just talk redneck and yall fit right in, tell you wha.

The last time I went to a carnival, I was visiting as they were closing up shop. You know those globes you throw a ping pong ball in to win a goldfish? Yeah I got to see them dump about a thousand golfish on to the grass and just leave them there to die.

Never again.

The last time I went to a carnival, I was visiting as they were closing up shop. You know those globes you throw a ping pong ball in to win a goldfish? Yeah I got to see them dump about a thousand golfish on to the grass and just leave them there to die.

Never again.

Them's good eats.

Top-hats and waistcoats a plenty then. Fantastic news. One's milliner will be most delighted.

Why don't you and @hunter_la5 just carpool up here, then we can send wasted selfies to @TheCADJockey .

That sounds like a good time.

Wow. I feel so badly for that kid.

Why? They obviously care enough about it already to take their relationship to the next level and not have a broken home before its even born. Just because people get pregnant by mistake, or whatever proper terminology you want to use, doesn't mean they wont love the kid and provide for it any less than if they had planned it. Not sure why you would think that is automatically the case. Does it happen? I'm sure it does but it certainly doesn't the majority of the time, I can guarantee you that.

Back