Biofine Clear and Carbination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qwaven

Reaction score
Hey there,

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on Biofine Clear? I'm pretty new with using it however my general understanding is to add around 20ml in 5gal of beer.

My understanding is that after sitting a few days to a week any sediment left in the beer will tend to drop down. "Clear up the beer"

I've understood that I should add the BioFine Clear to my keg at the same time I transfer the beer from secondary to keg.

I've also seen some say its better to put it in the secondary? True? If so when is it right to do so? Why this over the keg?

As I am not 100% clear on the process for BioFine Clear; is force carbing my keg appropriate to do at the same time or will the carb process mess with it? Should I do one or the other first?

My general thought would have been to do this (which somewhat contradicts what I wrote above)

1. Brew the beer, ferment...etc
2. Secondary fermentation process 1-2 weeks
3. Add biofine into fermenter for 3 days or so
4. Transfer into keg and force carb away or use priming sugar

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Cheers!

I use Biofine with every batch. I always add to the keg when I am racking over. It only takes 1- 2 days to clear up at 40F and below. I only use about 1 tablespoon full. My bottle has a dripper and I actually put two squirts maybe three if it is real cloudy. I always put the Biofine in the keg so I can repitch on the yeast in the primary. If I force carb in the keg I do this first and then let sit for two days. the first pint will have all of the sediment.

I use Biofine with every batch. I always add to the keg when I am racking over. It only takes 1- 2 days to clear up at 40F and below. I only use about 1 tablespoon full. My bottle has a dripper and I actually put two squirts maybe three if it is real cloudy. I always put the Biofine in the keg so I can repitch on the yeast in the primary. If I force carb in the keg I do this first and then let sit for two days. the first pint will have all of the sediment.

Hey thanks for the response.

So if I am reading corretly. You will add the biofine first, wait a few days, and then proceed with carbing?

Cheers!

Just the opposite. add Biofines first, then force carb and let sit for 2 days. The Biofines makes the floaties heavy so they will settle over time. Once you get the first couple of pints out you can shake again if needed.

Just the opposite. add Biofines first, then force carb and let sit for 2 days. The Biofines makes the floaties heavy so they will settle over time. Once you get the first couple of pints out you can shake again if needed.

Hey so what would the timeline be?

1a. Biofine in keg -- 1-2 days sitting in fridge?
1b. Do I run a pint or so out first to clear out before moving on to carb?
2. Then force carb after

What about if I'm not saving the yeast would it be better to put in secondary?

Thanks!

Use gelatin instead of Biofine. its cheaper and works better.

check out the brulosifiers exbeerement on it.

Use gelatin instead of Biofine. its cheaper and works better.

check out the brulosifiers exbeerement on it.

Would you have a link to this? I was not able to find anything on Biofine Clear on that site. Though at this time I wouldn't really want to switch to another product given that I already have Biofine Clear in stock I'd be interested in reading about the comparison.

Thanks!

Would you have a link to this? I was not able to find anything on Biofine Clear on that site. Though at this time I wouldn't really want to switch to another product given that I already have Biofine Clear in stock I'd be interested in reading about the comparison.

Thanks!

Well i was wrong, its not Biofine, it was Clarity ferm that was in the exbeerement. But gelatin is still very cheap and very good at clearing the beer.

http://brulosophy.com/2015/07/27/clarity-ferm-vs-gelatin-exbeeriment-results/

Well i was wrong, its not Biofine, it was Clarity ferm that was in the exbeerement. But gelatin is still very cheap and very good at clearing the beer.

http://brulosophy.com/2015/07/27/clarity-ferm-vs-gelatin-exbeeriment-results/

ah yes I did see this one. Interesting read. I'm not saying no to gelatin in the future just since I have Biofine Clear I would prefer to stick with it at least long enough to give it a fair try. :)

Thanks for your input.

BPO / or anyone have any more details on the process w/ Biofine Clear? Also not clear what the negatives are (if any) to adding it to the secondary. Would love more input on that. I've got a "fastferment" so it seems easy to add at the end/during secondary and would then not have any/or as much solids in the keg no?

Cheers!

I use kieselsol in most batches, which has the same ingredients as biofine clear (you can also by it by the liter, which makes it cheaper). I usually add about a teaspoonish by eye to the secondary, a couple of days before kegging (or when i transfer to the secondary, works as well as long as fermentation is complete.) . I have also done it in the keg. With the keg theres more sediment in the bottom, and you need to clear two pints instead of 1, not a big deal. It supposedly works better if the beer is cold, but ive done it at basement temps a couple of times and the beer clears fine.

Beer comes out crystal clear. Wont piss off vegans. Not as cheap as gelatin, and takes a day longer, but it works great.

I use kieselsol in most batches, which has the same ingredients as biofine clear (you can also by it by the liter, which makes it cheaper). I usually add about a teaspoonish by eye to the secondary, a couple of days before kegging (or when i transfer to the secondary, works as well as long as fermentation is complete.) . I have also done it in the keg. With the keg theres more sediment in the bottom, and you need to clear two pints instead of 1, not a big deal. It supposedly works better if the beer is cold, but ive done it at basement temps a couple of times and the beer clears fine.

Beer comes out crystal clear. Wont piss off vegans. Not as cheap as gelatin, and takes a day longer, but it works great.

I think I'll try adding it the secondary and leavig it for a day or 2 before transfering to my keg. My secondary isnt in the coldest spot but I'll see how that goes. Figure Biofine Clear will continue to work in the keg (if more work is to done) once it gets cold anyhow. I assume there is no "expiration" time from when its activated in beer? IE it will keep working past the usual 2-3 days...etc.

Cheers

yeah once the haze causing proteins fall out, they wont recloud the beer, or go back into suspension.

yeah once the haze causing proteins fall out, they wont recloud the beer, or go back into suspension.

Great thanks for your/others help. I will try this way and see how it turns out.

Cheers!
:mug:

I agree, you should not have any issues with adding to the secondary. If any sediment gets transferred to the keg it will just sink and come out with the first pint. I do prefer Biofin over gelatin. I think it is easier to add a few drop than to heat up some water, mix gelatin and add. The only downfall is once you open the Biofine you need to keep it in the refrigerator.

I agree, you should not have any issues with adding to the secondary. If any sediment gets transferred to the keg it will just sink and come out with the first pint. I do prefer Biofin over gelatin. I think it is easier to add a few drop than to heat up some water, mix gelatin and add. The only downfall is once you open the Biofine you need to keep it in the refrigerator.

My Biofine didn't come seal/cooled so I never put it in the fridge. I have now put it in the fridge but I am not sure if that is required.

Since adding to secondary after about an hour I could already see lots of sediment forming in the collection ball. Looking like its working quite well. Will still let it sit another day'ish before transfer to keg.

Thanks!!

Ive never refridgerated it. There is regular biofine which is isinglass (needs refridgeration). Biofine clear is collodial silica, the same as kieselsol and does not need refridgeration.

Ive never refridgerated it. There is regular biofine which is isinglass (needs refridgeration). Biofine clear is collodial silica, the same as kieselsol and does not need refridgeration.

Thanks for the info. Thats probably the case given that it didn't arrive cold and says nothing about keeping it cold on it. I'll probably take it out of the fridge when I need some room. :)

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back