Kegging into a commercial keg from plastic fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently bought a commercial d style coupler keg from a friend's bar and was thinking to make a use of it, never kegged before. I ferment in a plastic bucket fermenter. I am just going to pour the beer using a long tube to eliminate oxygen. After I watched this video
()
I was thinking about the method in the 5l keg. Can I just add sugar in the keg and then use my friend's keg machine to drink beer? (by adding sugar the trap that will be left will cause a problem? I cold crash my beer)
My main problem is that I don't have a CO2 tank, so I can't just forced carbonate or add CO2 to the keg. 3rd question, can I use the CO2 tank from my friend to add CO2 or force carbonate using the coupler?
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to HBT! AND: Sorry that welcome is so slow.... Sanke kegs present a number of problems for homebrewers and though a handful on here have successfully (and expensively) made use of them, I think everyone else was waiting for someone else to go first in answering.
The first thing I'm wondering is your level of experience and wondering if you have removed the check-valve from your coupler, and second; how you'll actually feed the beer through it. Plently of folk carbonate their kegs with sugar, but the big issue is actually getting it into a properly cleaned/sanitzed and CO2 purged keg.
Have you made any progress since this post?
:mug:

Welcome to HBT! AND: Sorry that welcome is so slow.... Sanke kegs present a number of problems for homebrewers and though a handful on here have successfully (and expensively) made use of them, I think everyone else was waiting for someone else to go first in answering.
The first thing I'm wondering is your level of experience and wondering if you have removed the check-valve from your coupler, and second; how you'll actually feed the beer through it. Plently of folk carbonate their kegs with sugar, but the big issue is actually getting it into a properly cleaned/sanitzed and CO2 purged keg.
Have you made any progress since this post?
:mug:
Hello, I removed the stick and cleaned sanitized my keg. I am thinking of a long tube for transfer and insert it in the bottom. I bought a tri-clamp "extension" lets say, to replace the stick since its a hassle to clean it and sanitize it. It has a liquid out and gas in parts that I will connect them accordingly to my friends machine. For example I read I need less sugar than the needed, 10% for example. After the condition I should just connect co2 and the machine to the keg using the same psi?

I bought a tri-clamp "extension" lets say, to replace the stick since its a hassle to clean it and sanitize it. It has a liquid out and gas in parts that I will connect them accordingly to my friends machine.
Not sure what you mean by this. Is it a tri-clamp lid that has ball lock posts and a dip tube? If so then you should be able to purge it and do a closed transfer pretty easily. A picture is worth a thousand words.
For example I read I need less sugar than the needed, 10% for example.
Not sure what you've read, but if you want to fully carbonate the beer in the keg by priming then you should use the same amount of sugar you would use for bottling. Physics and biochemistry aren't any different in a keg than they are in a bottle. Plenty of people do use less priming sugar, but then they aren't fully carbonating their beer until they hook the keg up to the CO2 tank. The way I look at it is that if I'm going to use priming sugar in the keg and keep it at fermenting temps for a couple of weeks then I might as well go ahead a carbonate it to the desired level. Although I suppose there might be some benefit to doing a little secondary fermentation in the keg to scavenge oxygen or something before force carbonating.
After the condition I should just connect co2 and the machine to the keg using the same psi?
Do you mean the same PSI that he uses to serve his beers? Unless he has secondary regulators you really don't have a choice, right? Anyway it should be OK, but it depends on what that PSI is what temperature he keeps his kegs at and how long the beer serving lines are.

Back