BetterBrew IPA beer kit, priming sugar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingvaroo

Reaction score
Hey guys i recently bought a BetterBrew IPA beer kit and its now day 8 fermenting.

OG; 1.050
So i still got another week or two atleast in the fermentor before bottling.

My question however is, untill now i've only made Lager and pilsner kits, and always put 1 tsp of priming sugar per 500ml (i now make a priming solution and rack the beer ontop of that, works alot better.)

Last time i realised that i've been undercarbing my beer from the start, and it was the first time i used 150g og dextros for 21L batch, the carbonation was fantastic and hands down my best batch yet.

Now, i read that IPA need less priming sugar, is that true?
If so, how much do you guys recommend for 23L batch (OG 1.050)

And a sidequestion, anyone else tried BetterBrew kits ? i've read so many good things about them, cant wait to try my first ever IPA!

;)

Better Brew Kits are good. I'm currently fermenting Falconers Flight.. smells awesome. Brew day was 4/19 and I dry hopped it a week ago.. it's ready to bottle/keg. Awesome smell.. did I say that once before..? grin.

I did an BB American Amber a while back and it was very good.

Regarding the IPA.. long story.. but it was undercarbed.. first time for me. Brewed on 1/25 and was going to bottle on 2/14 only because.. I went in for knee replacement surgery the next day.. But I didnn't.. no big deal. Well, I ultimately bottled on 3/14 with the provided corn sugar. It is definitely undercarbed.. tastes great tho. I have no way of knowing why this batch didn't fully carb.. a bloomin' mystery.. but, stuff happens.

I have another Falconers Flight waiting in the background and have another brew that I did as a club brew for the AHA Big Brew day on May 5 happily bubbling away.. not a Better Brew. I don't know how I'll drink it all.. grin.

So, I will definitely be doing more Better Brew. Makes good beer

Regarding the Priming Sugar.. the amount in the package should be correct. It has been for me and is the same amount you find in other kits.. I believe it's 5 oz.

If you bottled beer on 3/14 and expected it to be carbonated in less than a week you're mistaken, generally a beer will take 3 weeks at 70F to fully carbonate

Back