Best way to store a bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwerner23

Reaction score
I got a bottle of Deschutes Black Butte XXV and the best after date is the day before my birthday, so I was going to save this till then. What is the best way to keep this till then. It is currently in the fridge right now. Is it best to keep at room temp or cold.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping it in the fridge, enjoy it on your birthday!

I can tell you how NOT to store your home brew clone of this beer. I bottled my batch and then, due to circumstances beyond my control, let them chill before warming up to conditioning temperature. This doesn't work well. After 3 weeks, they still hadn't carbed. I decided to rouse the yeast to get them going again. Clearly the best way to do this is to flip the bottles up-side-down for a day to get the yeast moving. Wrong!

Now the yeast are stuck in the neck and cap. I thought they would rinse back down when I reflipped the bottles, but that doesn't work. They carbed nicely and taste great, but are an embarrassment to pour. Lesson learned.

Back