Best way to lower stout fg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gdog

Reaction score
I brewed a chocolate stout with an og of 1.077. The estimated fg is 1.019. After 1 week and not a very violent fermentation the fg is 1.024. It's been fermenting at 60 degrees. I pitched 1.5 packs of safale 04 yeast into the wort. Will I get the fg down by just leaving it alone for another 2 weeks at the current temperature? Or Should I move my carboy to another room that's 68 degrees? Or should I pitch maybe a different kind of yeast (safale05, or nottingham) )to bring it down? What's the best way to go about this? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yep, you're not far off the mark. I'd let it sit another week and see how it does after warming up the wort a little. You can roust the yeast back into suspension a bit, too.

Ok thanks for your help, I just moved it to the 68 degree room. I will let it sit for 2 more weeks before kegging. I didn't know if 68 degrees would produce any off flavors or not.

It just depends on the yeast. I know of several strains that would do fine at that temperature and produce no off flavors. However, there are also a bunch more that definitely would stress out at that temperature and have problems.

Off-flavor compounds are predominantly produced in the 1st 24-48 hours of fermentation(the 'lag' phase) especially when the temperatures get too high, which is why it's so vitally important to keep temps low then. After the yeast munch on the easily fermentable sugars, they then turn to some of those compounds(the 'cleanup' phase). At that point, it's a good idea to warm things up a bit to keep the yeast active. In lager fermentation, this is called the Diacetyl rest, but it works for ale yeast as well.
Start cool, finish warm. :mug:

Be aware that, if your recipe includes lactose (as many choc stouts do), one pound of lactose in a 5 gallon batch will cause the FG to be .007 higher than it otherwise would be.

It may be done.

I didn't use any lactose. So hopefully it ferments out a little more.

Back