Best Dried Yeast for a Hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamfein

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have brewed several Weisens and used several different yeasts,

the best in my opinion is the Mangrove Jacks Bavarian Wheat,

I have previously used Safale WB-06 (ends up fermenting too Dry), Danstar Munich Wheat (hardly any phenol aroma) and also Brewferm Blanche (again no phenol aroma)

Anyone else tried any dry yeasts with good success.

I have only used WB-06, and it really didn't give much German wheat beer flavor or aroma.

The only good Weißbier dry-yeasts I tried (and I tried all of them) are

• Danstar Munich Classic (apparently =WY3068) NOT Munich Wheat
  • MJ M20
  • (Gozdawa BW11)

Also if you want phenol aroma be sure to do a 15-20 min mash step at 45 °C.

I'm not saying that I am right and anyone else is wrong, but my reading and understanding indicate that Danstar Munich is akin to 3068 and Danstar Munich Classic is akin to 3638. Both are good, just a little different, depending on what you are after.

If I am wrong, I'll be glad to stand corrected.

I have tried Danstar Munich, Mangrove Jack's M20 and 3638. I haven't much taste experience with 3638 yet, but it smelled wonderful; however, it is not a dry yeast, so it is off the list.

Between the other two, I really couldn't pick a favourite - I got a little bit of sulfur smell in finished beer with M20, but that could have been my fault, and it didn't last very long after the beer was poured. Both seemed to produce a smooth-drinking, good-tasting beer, using the recipe that I have for "Edelweiss Hefeweizen."

I haven't much taste experience with 3638 yet, but it smelled wonderful;
Between the other two, I really couldn't pick a favourite - I got a little bit of sulfur smell in finished beer with M20, but that could have been my fault, and it didn't last very long after the beer was poured. Both seemed to produce a smooth-drinking, good-tasting beer, using the recipe that I have for "Edelweiss Hefeweizen."

The 3638 made a very good Hefe for me earlier this summer, but it isn't available in my local as far as I know, got the one I used online.

I think for OP's answer we need to know what they like in a Hefe.

I have tried Danstar Munich, Mangrove Jack's M20 and 3638. I haven't much taste experience with 3638 yet, but it smelled wonderful; however, it is not a dry yeast, so it is off the list."

I have also used Mangrove Jacks M20 with decent flavor and results.

@lasultana - after looking through the various websites, I believe you are absolutely correct. I think what threw me off was DanStar's description of "fruity" esters, which I compared to the description of 3638.

FWIW, I found this information while searching around, which will hopefully help the OP make a decision.

Mangrove Jack's M20 Bavarian Wheat Yeast

Deliciously smooth, light golden in colour, full bodied aromas of vanilla and banana and a lingering aftertaste. This yeast produces a silky mouth feel and rich body.

Suitable for brewing Hefeweizen, Kristal Weizen, Dunkel Weizen and more.
Wyeast 3068 - Weihenstephan Weizen

The classic and most popular German wheat beer strain used worldwide. This yeast strain produces a beautiful and delicate balance of banana esters and clove phenolics. The balance can be manipulated towards ester production through increasing the fermentation temperature, increasing the wort density, and decreasing the pitch rate. Over pitching can result in a near complete loss of banana character. Decreasing the ester level will allow a higher clove character to be perceived. Sulfur is commonly produced, but will dissipate with conditioning. This strain is very powdery and will remain in suspension for an extended amount of time following attenuation. This is true top cropping yeast and requires fermenter headspace of 33%.
Wyeast 3638 - Bavarian Wheat

A complex alternative to the standard German wheat strain profile. This strain produces apple, pear, and plum esters in addition to the dominant banana character. The esters are complemented nicely by clove and subtle vanilla phenolics. The balance can be manipulated towards ester production through increasing fermentation temperature, increasing the wort density, and decreasing the pitch rate. Over pitching can result in a near complete loss of banana character. Decreasing the ester level will allow a higher clove character to be perceived. Sulfur is commonly produced, but will dissipate with conditioning. This strain is very powdery and will remain in suspension for an extended amount of time following attenuation. This is true top cropping yeast and requires fermenter headspace of 33%.
Danstar Munich Classic Wheat Beer Yeast

Aroma and flavor is balanced with prominent fruity esters and spicy phenol notes of banana and clove.

Munich Classic is a Bavarian wheat beer strain that can easily express the spicy and estery aroma profile typical to German wheat beer styles. This strain is simple to use over a wide range of recipe variations and fermentation conditions, making it a great choice for a number of traditional styles of wheat beer. In classic open fermentation vessels, the yeast can be skimmed off the top in the traditional manner. Styles brewed with Munich Classic include but are not limited to Weizen/Weissbier, Dunkelweizen and Weizenbock.
Danstar Munich Wheat Beer Yeast

Aroma and flavor is somewhat estery with banana notes.

Munich Wheat Beer yeast originated in Bavaria, German and is a neutral strain which can be used to produce a wide variety of wheat-based beer styles. With only slight esters and phenol production, Munich’s allows brewers to showcase other spice additions. Traditional styles brewed with this yeast include but are not limited to American Wheat, Belgian White, Berliner weiss, Gose, Hefeweizen, Dunkelweis, and Weizenbock .
WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast

This famous German yeast strain is used in the production of traditional, authentic wheat beers. It produces banana and clove notes and leaves the desired cloudy look of traditional German wheat beers.
WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast

High phenolic clove aroma and flavor, with minimal banana. Also produces refreshing citrus and apricot notes for a crisp, drinkable hefeweizen. Less flocculant than WLP300, and sulfur production is higher.
Also, there is this article, which provides some good reading and comparisons in a clear, no-nonsense fashion:

https://eurekabrewing.wordpress.com/2012/03/18/wheat-yeast-comparison-results-part-2-tasting/

Finally, there is This is the English translation of an article that was posted by lasultana some time ago - I read it then, but had forgotten about it.

http://braumagazin.de/article/brewing-bavarian-weissbier-all-you-ever-wanted-to-know/

Based on all of this, I personally plan to try the Munich Classic next time I brew a hefeweizen; but I want to stress that I have been very happy with Mangrove Jack's M20 and Danstar's "regular" Munich yeast. I will also try White Labs 300 and Wyeast 3068 for comparison. Normally, I prefer the convenience of dry yeast, but I am a very, very huge fan of the classic hefeweizen, and will ultimately use the yeast that produces the best-tasting results.

Hope this helps -

Ron

Last edited:
A bit off topic since its not a dry yeast, but.... I used the White Labs 300 on a Hefe that I just made and I can attest that this yeast requires a sizeable headspace.

I ferment my 5 gal batches in a 6.5 gal fermenter. I never use a blow-off tube anymore since I always had ample headspace.... Well not this time, not with that yeast. It was very fresh (2 weeks from package date) and made a lovely mess of the airlock and my fermenter!

My pleasure, sir - it is a topic that I am quite interested in, so I'm always happy to read and compare notes. :mug:

I ordered a 14G uni tank so my mindset is shifting from 5.5G to 11G batches. I have multiple 7G fermenters so I am doing some double batch testing, then splitting these large batches into two 7G fermenters until my 14G tank arrives. This presents the perfect opportunity for me to try two different yeasts with the same base wort. My heads up comparison will be useful in determining the better yeast of the two.

I typically like to use 3068 liquid for my Hefe, but I want to move toward the convenience of dry and not be pushed so much by the exp date on liquid.

With this said, if I followed this thread correctly, Danstar Munich Classic (Dry) will be a dried strain of my preferred 3068? Is M20 a different strain altogether?

My plan is to split a batch with Munich Classic in one fermenter and M20 in the other for a side by side comparison.

Hi, Morrey -

Danstar Munich CLASSIC is indeed 3068, as lasultana says.

I am not sure if anyone knows what M20 is. I heard a rumor once that M20 is re-packaged Lallemand yeast, but this could be and probably is an error. I have used M20 and it was good - the only problem was a slight sulfur smell that quickly dissipated after pouring. This could very easily have been something caused by me rather than the yeast.

Hi, Morrey -

Danstar Munich CLASSIC is indeed 3068, and lasultana says.

I am not sure if anyone knows what M20 is. I heard a rumor once that M20 is re-packaged Lallemand yeast, but this could be and probably is an error. I have used M20 and it was good - the only problem was a slight sulfur smell that quickly dissipated after pouring. This could very easily have been something caused by me rather than the yeast.

Thanks for the verification on the Danstar yeast, Ron. My exbeeriment is worth a try, and when all is said and done with my taste test, I necro this thread and post my results.

I used T-58 to ferment a wheat beer a couple of summers ago. Half wheat malt, half 2-row, and a tiny bit of melanoidin malt (I know that's more than 100%), with all Saaz hops. It was 60-something when I pitched the yeast, but fermentation temperature was in the 80's.

The beer turned out great but I don't know what style it was. Kind of spicy, not much banana. But maybe I just had low expectations ;)

@lasultana - after looking through the various websites, I believe you are absolutely correct. I think what threw me off was DanStar's description of "fruity" esters, which I compared to the description of 3638.

FWIW, I found this information while searching around, which will hopefully help the OP make a decision.

Also, there is this article, which provides some good reading and comparisons in a clear, no-nonsense fashion:

https://eurekabrewing.wordpress.com/2012/03/18/wheat-yeast-comparison-results-part-2-tasting/

Finally, there is This is the English translation of an article that was posted by lasultana some time ago - I read it then, but had forgotten about it.

http://braumagazin.de/article/brewing-bavarian-weissbier-all-you-ever-wanted-to-know/

Based on all of this, I personally plan to try the Munich Classic next time I brew a hefeweizen; but I want to stress that I have been very happy with Mangrove Jack's M20 and Danstar's "regular" Munich yeast. I will also try White Labs 300 and Wyeast 3068 for comparison. Normally, I prefer the convenience of dry yeast, but I am a very, very huge fan of the classic hefeweizen, and will ultimately use the yeast that produces the best-tasting results.

Hope this helps -

Ron

Just what I was looking for, thanks!

I used Munich Classic on my current Hefe and it's a beast. Blew through my airlock in about 30 hours with a massive Krausen. Fermenting her pretty warm (68F), but loving the banana that's coming through.

fdxWWaC.jpg

Thanks for the verification on the Danstar yeast, Ron. My exbeeriment is worth a try, and when all is said and done with my taste test, I necro this thread and post my results.

Any results yet?

p.s. anyone have a Maisel's Weisse clone?:off:[/QUOTE]

I suspect that nearly all traditional weissen breweries (Schneider, Weihenstephaner, erdinger) keep the grist bill very simple and similar to each other for their standard weissen.

between 50-70% wheat, the rest is pilsner.

the house strain weissen yeast is what I presume separates each of them really.

For instance, erdinger yeast is not as estery and phenolicy as others.
Weihenstephaner is leaning on the banana, bubblegum
Schneider for me leans on the clove side.

Thanks I guess it be experimenting with different yeasts till I find something close

I used Munich Classic on my current Hefe and it's a beast. Blew through my airlock in about 30 hours with a massive Krausen. Fermenting her pretty warm (68F), but loving the banana that's coming through.

fdxWWaC.jpg

Just kegged this last night, was getting a nice banana aroma with maybe some candy/tropical fruit in there, absolutely fantastic and pretty much what I had hoped for.

Gonna let it carb for 2 weeks. Can't wait to taste it, will report back with pics.

I know this thread is pretty old, but I have a 4.5% ABV hefeweizen fermented with Danstar Munich Classic, which I have just tasted.

50% Ireks Wheat Malt + 50% Simpsons Golden Promise + 8 gr Citra hops at 60' + 1 sachet of Munich Classic directly inoculated in 6 gallons of wort ( 19C/66F ). 60' mash at 65C/149F + 60' boil. Soft water : 50 ppm Ca/5 ppm Mg/3 ppm Na/50 ppm chloride/50 ppm Sulfate ( thank you Martin ). Fermented between 22 and 23C/71-74F. Very agressive ferment. I use Speidel fermenters ( 30 l ) and it blew through the oversized airtlock. Crazy, crazy yeast! My house smelled like I imagine a German brewery smells like.

Brewed on May 17 and bottled on May 28. Today, June 1st, the beer is already carbonated and very, very good. Very light colour ( around 3-3.5 SRM ). Aroma is yeasty, medium clove, overriped banana, maybe a bit of vanilla?. Flavour is faint clove, a bit of overriped banana and some other non-descript fruit with a smooth, delicate wheat sourness. Low to medium body, but the mouthfeel is absolutely bonkers. It feels full, fluffy, creamy, easy drinking.

From my perspective of only doing one batch with Danstar Munich Classic, I would say this yeast delivers. It may not be a top hefe beer, but definitely better than most wheat beers I've tried and paid handsomely for.

Note. I've attached a picture of the beer fermenting. :ban:https://imgur.com/a/6ARF3ZB

I know this thread is pretty old, but I have a 4.5% ABV hefeweizen fermented with Danstar Munich Classic, which I have just tasted.

50% Ireks Wheat Malt + 50% Simpsons Golden Promise + 8 gr Citra hops at 60' + 1 sachet of Munich Classic directly inoculated in 6 gallons of wort ( 19C/66F ). 60' mash at 65C/149F + 60' boil. Soft water : 50 ppm Ca/5 ppm Mg/3 ppm Na/50 ppm chloride/50 ppm Sulfate ( thank you Martin ). Fermented between 22 and 23C/71-74F. Very agressive ferment. I use Speidel fermenters ( 30 l ) and it blew through the oversized airtlock. Crazy, crazy yeast! My house smelled like I imagine a German brewery smells like.

Brewed on May 17 and bottled on May 28. Today, June 1st, the beer is already carbonated and very, very good. Very light colour ( around 3-3.5 SRM ). Aroma is yeasty, medium clove, overriped banana, maybe a bit of vanilla?. Flavour is faint clove, a bit of overriped banana and some other non-descript fruit with a smooth, delicate wheat sourness. Low to medium body, but the mouthfeel is absolutely bonkers. It feels full, fluffy, creamy, easy drinking.

From my perspective of only doing one batch with Danstar Munich Classic, I would say this yeast delivers. It may not be a top hefe beer, but definitely better than most wheat beers I've tried and paid handsomely for.

Note. I've attached a picture of the beer fermenting. :ban:https://imgur.com/a/6ARF3ZB

Sounds fantastic, I want some! I haven't made a hefeweizen in a while but now I'm thinking about it.

As an extract brewer what you're doing is over my head but I was also very happy with Munich Classic under my less precise conditions.

I like to brew on a whim so dry yeast is all I use and I keep a collection in the fridge. Munich Classic was my best dry weizen yeast so far. Though it's surprisingly not widely carried by many online brew shops?

I've also got a couple Mangrove Jack's M20's in the fridge which I haven't tried yet, so hoping that'll be good too. Maybe a split batch Munich Classic/Mangrove Jack's M20 side by side comparison............

Fermented between 22 and 23C/71-74F. Very agressive ferment. I use Speidel fermenters ( 30 l ) and it blew through the oversized airtlock. Crazy, crazy yeast! My house smelled like I imagine a German brewery smells like.

That kind of blow-off with nearly 2 gallons of headspace is pretty impressive!

71F to 74F is high compared to the 62F I target with 3068 yeast. I’m curious if that temperature elevation overemphasized the banana notes? Has anyone used the Munich Classic with a lesser ferment temp? Does it even out the clove and banana?

71F to 74F is high compared to the 62F I target with 3068 yeast. I’m curious if that temperature elevation overemphasized the banana notes? Has anyone used the Munich Classic with a lesser ferment temp? Does it even out the clove and banana?

It depends on the pitchrate aswell. you get more esters with higher temp, and lower pitchrate. I've been doing some hefe's (but with fresh yeast though), and my impression is that the phenols are not much affected by pitch or temperature, but they can be masked/unmasked by the esters.

The starting temperature was 66F/19F which I kept for 24 hours. It bubbled like a few times every second. Never experienced that with the Speidel airlocks. Then, after 24 hours, it was even more aggresive, at which point it just blew through the airlock and kept like that for half a day. Eventually, I took the airlock out, cleaned it well and sanitized and popped it back in the fermenter mouth. It almost completely stopped after 60 hours.

Apparent attenuation puts it at 77%, which should mean the beer would be dry or lacking in mouthfeel and body, but it's not, in spite of the low mash temp.

It's estery, phenolic and yeasty, but also fruity for a Hefe. I will use it again this summer, as I like Hefes and this turned out better than expected. I believe the Golden Promise malt ( which I've used for other batches, as well as for smah recipes ) plays a good role in the mouthfeel perception I get from this Hefe. My latest 6.4% IPA with 100% Golden Promise and only Citra and Amarillo, mashed at 149F does not feel overly dry, nor lacking in body and mouthfeel. ( might also be the high hopping rate, but still )

This is a picture of the beer poured in a glass: https://imgur.com/a/Kx9to5O

It's a bit lighter than it appears in the glass, but I love it. Chuggable and fresh. Cheers!

Again, I would like to thank Martin Brungard for making available such a delightful, useful and easy to work with, water spreadsheet and knowledge, which I have used for my last 15 batches and all turned out very, very well. I know there are many variables and factors that play in when trying to " nail " a specific water profile, but the Bru'nWater spreadsheet makes everything easier.

This is not an endorsment or anything else, but my own, honest, humble appreciation.

Brew on!

Last edited:
It's not a big surprise if the ferm-temp was also the temp at the start.

The start temp in the first 24 hours was 66F/19C, as I wanted the yeast to not go overly crazy from the start. But day 2 it went beserk, as I moved the fermenter to a warmer spot. Granted, the temperature was also higher, but I do like banana in my hefe, so I thought it will be OK. It's not overly banana-ish. It is said this is the dry equivalent of the Weihenstephaner strain. But what I taste, it is a well balanced mix of esters and phenols. Probably a bit lighter on both, but the fruitiness and mouthfeel, make this a very enjoyable beer. I wanted it to have a bit more alcohol, but due to a poor crush of my Wheat malt, that did not happen.

Regardless, Danstar Munich Classic yeast feels like one of those very good dry yeast, which should be experimented with at least a few times.

I am thinking of brewing a Dampfbier with it. I think it will turn out great, and will appeal to many beer drinkers.

13 days from the bottling and the beer is pretty great. Aroma is sweet yeasty, with an even balance of banana and clove, subtle winey, peppery/spicy and floral notes. Great taste ---> banana, clove, yeast presence, a hint of sour wheat. I had some people taste it and they said it wasn't as sour/tart* as other hefe beers, and some said it ressembled a sort of a spritzy wine/champagne like. It's got enough sweetness, mouthfeel to make it very palatable.

I can also add, that my beer is very estery. When you put your nose to it, you do smell lots of different aromas, which makes me want to use this again and I will the whole summer.

This is one very good, dry yeast!

Back